Apparently It's Hard for Non-Sistagirls to Wear Buns...

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
At work yesterday a non-sista walked up to ask me something about work. While I was helping her she commented on my phony bun and said "I like your hair, that's soooo cute! How did you do that?" I didn't know what to say because I wasn't sure if she knew it was fake or not. :look: She said it kinda loud so I didn't want to announce to the whole office that it was track hair wrapped around my own hair. So I said I just put it in a band and twist it around and put the barrette on top. (My hair was something like the pic below with the same clip but not as big of a bun and it wasn't off to the side)

Anyway, she says "really? I could NEVER get my hair to do that" (her hair is about APL, which for us sistas is a good length but I guess not too long for them). I gave her a confused look and said why can't you get your hair like that? She said oh, it would just be all over the place and wouldn't stay in the bun. I said maybe you can put some mousse on it to slick it down or something and she said "oh, I guess I could try that".

But I just wanted to share this because I assumed that doing a bun would be even easier for them and it makes me appreciate the versatility of our hair even more. I really really love my black girl hair!!! :kiss3: I still don't understand why she can't do a bun but that's what she said so who am I to question. :ohwell:

That bun is super cute :yep:

Oh yea, there's a ton of styles that don't come easy to non-sistas.. that's why they tend to wear their hair in the same cut for years IMO.

Slightly off-topic but I remember arguing with a white foster child my mom had some years back when I was natural. She insisted that my hair could never be as nice as a white girl's hair but I begged to differ, I'm all about the versatility of black hair. Unfortunately other black girls she's around tend to agree with her :ohwell:

Last edited:
At work yesterday a non-sista walked up to ask me something about work. While I was helping her she commented on my phony bun and said "I like your hair, that's soooo cute! How did you do that?" I didn't know what to say because I wasn't sure if she knew it was fake or not. :look: She said it kinda loud so I didn't want to announce to the whole office that it was track hair wrapped around my own hair. So I said I just put it in a band and twist it around and put the barrette on top. (My hair was something like the pic below with the same clip but not as big of a bun and it wasn't off to the side)

Anyway, she says "really? I could NEVER get my hair to do that" (her hair is about APL, which for us sistas is a good length but I guess not too long for them). I gave her a confused look and said why can't you get your hair like that? She said oh, it would just be all over the place and wouldn't stay in the bun. I said maybe you can put some mousse on it to slick it down or something and she said "oh, I guess I could try that".

But I just wanted to share this because I assumed that doing a bun would be even easier for them and it makes me appreciate the versatility of our hair even more. I really really love my black girl hair!!! :kiss3: I still don't understand why she can't do a bun but that's what she said so who am I to question. :ohwell:

OP, your bun is cute.

I am confused as to why she can't do one...? I see few white women that wear buns. They do them a lot over on LHC.

Show her the spin pin commercial online :giggle: her hair can do a bun (maybe not huge). She might not know how on her hair though.

I am bun challenged myself LOL

That bun is super cute :yep:

Oh yea, there's a ton of styles that don't come easy to non-sistas.. that's why they tend to wear their hair in the same cut for years IMO.

Slightly off-topic but I remember arguing with a white foster child my mom had some years back when I was natural. She insisted that my hair could never be as nice as a white girl's hair but I begged to differ, I'm all about the versatility of black hair. Unfortunately other black girls she's around tend to agree with her :ohwell:

Thanks girlie! You make a good point now that you mention it. I barely see them with their hair tied up or in buns.

And you're right, people are quick to say how beautiful their hair is but ours will outshine theirs in a minute.

OP, your bun is cute.

I am confused as to why she can't do one...? I see few white women that wear buns. They do them a lot over on LHC.

Thanks! I'm glad it's not just me confused about it. I guess I always envied how they can do a messy bun so easily but I guess it wasn't messy purposely LOL.

Show her the spin pin commercial online :giggle: her hair can do a bun (maybe not huge). She might not know how on her hair though.

I am bun challenged myself LOL

Good idea to show her the spin pin. She really sounded like she wanted to try it so she'll probably be happy if I show her LOL.

Op, that bun is cute and...

I, a sistah-gurl, just learned something new :)

So, you put your own hair in a pony, then wrap a track of weave around the base of the pony right...but what do you anchor/secure the track with? Bobby Pins?

This seems like a better option to phony ponies, IMHO.

Last edited:

So, you put your own hair in a pony, then wrap a track of weave around the base of the pony right...but what to yuu anchor/secure the track with? Bobby Pins?

I'm with ladylibra, that bun looks way better than a phony pony and I want to do a lot more bunning for the winter.

What kind of hair is it? I don't know much about weave hair or the best type to get that wouldn't dry my hair out.

there are so many bun tutorials for non black women on yt, matter of fact i think binosusume has the most amazing buns/up dos ever. So, i'm sure she could work it out or try gel/mousse. But you're probably right about the messy buns, i was thinking they were so cute and they were probably like guess this is as good as it gets.

but i too love the versatility of our hair more than anything. I wouldn't trade it

Last edited:
I love that bun. Mine wouldn't be as sleek, but that's what the barrette is for. *sigh* I need some hair jewelry like you all have!

I'm with ladylibra, that bun looks way better than a phony pony and I want to do a lot more bunning for the winter.

What kind of hair is it? I don't know much about weave hair or the best type to get that wouldn't dry my hair out.

Thanks! It's just about a third of a $20 pack of HH. I don't know much about the brands and all because I just ask the girl in the BSS for the length (10 inches I think) and price I want to pay.

The bun is cute but I would not share my hair tips with coworkers.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SGH-T959V

Thanks! I don't mind sharing if I think the person really wants to know and not just being a smart aleck. She's a nice person so I didn't mind.

there are so many bun tutorials for non black women on yt, matter of fact i think binosusume has the most amazing buns/up dos ever. So, i'm sure she could work it out or try gel/mousse. But you're probably right about the messy buns, i was thinking they were so cute and they were probably like guess this is as good as it gets.

but i too love the versatility of our hair more than anything. I wouldn't trade it
Thanks for the link and info. I'm going to ask her if she wants me to forward it to her.

I love that bun. Mine wouldn't be as sleek, but that's what the barrette is for. *sigh* I need some hair jewelry like you all have!

Thanks! I just wet it a bit in the morning before I put it in the bun. The barrette came from Sally's a couple of years ago. I haven't seen this color since then because I want another one in case I ever lose it. I see the black ones in the BSS all the time though.

I don't usually see too many white women with very neat and sleek buns...mostly quick, messy ones...I really only see really neat buns on white celebs or...ballet dancers that I see on tv. Haha. Interesting.

So, you put your own hair in a pony, then wrap a track of weave around the base of the pony right...but what do you anchor/secure the track with? Bobby Pins?

I first put my own hair in a band and tuck the ends inside my scarce bun. My track is about 2ft wide after it was folded (two or three times). Then I just put one hair pin in after I wrap it around once and wrap the rest and use one more pin. You can use more if you like but I don't. Then I just twist or tuck the track hair ends underneath or around the band and the barrette is just sitting on the TOP of my hair (through the top of the track hair) not around the whole bun.

One thing I've noticed is that, quite often, their hair can slide out of ponytail holders much more easily than ours, and the sleekness of the hair exacerbates that. I used to do ballerina's hairs, and I used more bobby pins than I can shake a stick at trying to keep everything sleek. Only those with fairly long hair (MBL or longer) were easier to work with to me. That's why I think I often see updos that are octopus clips, or low ponies with the hair pulled part-way through :yep:.

Yeah, the easiest style for non-blacks seem to be to wear it down or wear it in a ponytail, hence the reason that's the styles they usually wear.

How old was this child?:ohwell:

Back