APL or Longer....who uses a heat protectant before straightening?

APL+ do you use heat protectants before straitening?

• Yes I use heat protectant

Votes: 123 90.4%
  • No I do not use heat protectant

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters

lexi84

I'm just wondering how effective are heat protectants. To me it doesnt seem to be doing anything, but giving me peace of mind. Plus they seem to make my hair stiff if I accidentally put too much in my hair. I got to APL+ without EVER using heat protectant and I blow dried and flat ironed 3x per month. Are heat protectants really worth buying? :ohwell:

Last edited:
i feel the same way but i still use one. i actually hate it and use as little as possible cuz they weigh my hair down even in small amounts :sad:

***I wanted to add a poll so please ignore the other thread. Mods, please delete the other thread***

I'm just wondering how effective are heat protectants. To me it doesnt seem to be doing anything, but giving me peace of mind. Plus they seem to make my hair stiff if I accidentally put too much in my hair. I got to APL+ without EVER using heat protectant and I blow dried and flat ironed 3x per month. Are heat protectants really worth buying? :ohwell:

I actually never used any type of heat protectant. I just started using it yesterday just to see if it makes a difference...I really can't say it made much of a difference but I'll continue to use it...

Well I am a Chi Head (been cheating with Silicon Mix though shhh) and I think it helps. I didn't use heat protectant ever until 2 yrs ago (whenever I joined here). I think it helps with my reversion actually. The heat protectant I only see over time. I know I don't have singed ends anymore but I also rollerset/flat iron now. I dunno how to better explain it but y'all better not stop using it!:spank:

Last edited:
Well I am a Chi Head (been cheating with Silicon Mix though shhh) and I think it helps. I didn't use heat protectant ever until 2 yrs ago (whenever I joined here). I think it helps with my reversion actually. The heat protectant I only see over time. I know I don't have singed ends anymore but I also rollerset/flat iron now. I dunno how to better explain it but y'all better not stop using it!:spank:

my beautician used the chi and I purchased it on my own...I liked the way it smelled, it added shine and protects the hair from heat but I stopped using it mainly due to the ingredients.....it has sd alcohol...and that's really drying...

In cali I grew up not using anything on my hair when I got it flat iron/press, the less product you use, the better, especially if you want bouncy, pretty shinny hair. Now that I live in the carolina's and after I joined LHCF I use a heat protectant, and leave in conditioner! I just use a little! HTH

Two Words: HEAT DAMAGE

I use Sabino Moisture Block( a heat protectant and anti-reversion product) and dont ever have to worry about reversion. The last time I used I used it was on towel dried hair. First i used Lacio Lacio and sealed it in with the SMB. I plaited my hair let it air dry over night, got up the next morning and flat ironed my hair without putting on any heat protection (SMB). Long story short, I have heat stretched hair. I'm not bashing SMB. Its the greatest. I wish I would have applied a little just before my press.

Always use a heat protector just b-4 using heat. End of story.

***I wanted to add a poll so please ignore the other thread. Mods, please delete the other thread***

I, now, use the Redken Real Control Thermal Resist Spray. I try not to flat iron my whole length though, just the roots. My line sister just started using the Chi one that everyone raves about and she likes it a lot. My roomie uses that too and swears by it, so I may try the CHI if I ever get the desire to flat iron my whole head.

I like the Thermal Resist, but like I can't see definitively if it's actually doing something, KWIM? However, I'm afraid to not use it, lol.

Wow...these results are overwhelmingly one sided. I guess they do work...

Thanks for the responses...

I always wonder this.

Lexi, how long did you have a regi of blowdry and iron 3x a month? did you go from sl-apl+ what that?

I went from Shoulder to APL+ while blow drying and flat ironing 3x per month. The trick was that I only wore my hair down for like two days(weekend) and stayed bunned during the week days. I had no problems with heat damage and little to no breakage. :yep:

my beautician used the chi and I purchased it on my own...I liked the way it smelled, it added shine and protects the hair from heat but I stopped using it mainly due to the ingredients.....it has sd alcohol...and that's really drying...

I use Chi Silk Infusion and it doesn't have achohol in it. Maybe you are thinking about Biosilk Silk Therapy which does.

I didn't like heat protectant. I used Motions and it did leave my hair kinda stiff and sticky. I used Redken Smooth Down Heat glide. I tleft my air smooth and shiny and with a lot of movement.:yep:

I use IC Fantasia Heat Protectant, it's in a pink bottle. You don't have to use a whole lot, just make sure you cover your entire hair. I rather have my hair weighed down than loosing the health and the natural texture of my hair. You should ALWAYS use it when applying direct heat IMHO!

Two Words: HEAT DAMAGE

I use Sabino Moisture Block( a heat protectant and anti-reversion product) and dont ever have to worry about reversion. The last time I used I used it was on towel dried hair. First i used Lacio Lacio and sealed it in with the SMB. I plaited my hair let it air dry over night, got up the next morning and flat ironed my hair without putting on any heat protection (SMB). Long story short, I have heat stretched hair. I'm not bashing SMB. Its the greatest. I wish I would have applied a little just before my press.

Always use a heat protector just b-4 using heat. End of story.

what do you mean by heat stretched? Is the Sabino Moisture Block a good thing or a bod thing?

Heat stretched hair is a bad thing if you want to keep your natural texture. If it's heat stretched when you wet it the hair will NOT revert to curly, which most naturals consider as a bad thing.

I'm texlaxed now and I have used Redken Smooth Down and CHI silk infusion. I'm almost at APL now. I also use Loreal Heat Straight in order to blow dry. It helps straighten my hair and protect it at the same time. :drunk: I think heat protectant is important but it should be used in moderation. A little goes a long way. :yep:

In cali I grew up not using anything on my hair when I got it flat iron/press, the less product you use, the better, especially if you want bouncy, pretty shinny hair. Now that I live in the carolina's and after I joined LHCF I use a heat protectant, and leave in conditioner! I just use a little! HTH

You sound like my college roomie. She was from San Diego and used pretty much nothing at all on her hair and her hair was BANGIN'. It had natural shine and that good swang. But in humid climates, heat protectant can help seal the cuticle and prevent moisture from getting in and reverting the hair.

I use aphogee pro-vitamin leave in and vidal sasoon color secure leave in too. they both have other goodies that my hair likes, like SAA, wheat germ oil, vitamins, keratin. . .oh, I am not APL yet, but I am aiming for it.

[/b]

I went from Shoulder to APL+ while blow drying and flat ironing 3x per month. The trick was that I only wore my hair down for like two days(weekend) and stayed bunned during the week days. I had no problems with heat damage and little to no breakage. :yep:

Wow! Thanks for answering. You really do need to do an update (LOL) i would love to see what products and stuff you used and the progression.

Anyway, when i look at ingredients of heat protectants, they always seem to just be some type of protien and/or cones......I never really see what a spray or 2 will actually do and thought that conditoners would work much better...

Im APL but i dont use heat that much (lazy) and sometimes use protectant, other times not so didnt answer....The only thing that really makes me use heat protectants is some of them seem to help give shine or i like the smell :ohwell:

i use paul mitchell heat seal and it does makes difference in my hair. it doesnt weigh it down because it is a spray and it makes the hair shine.

I feel bad about saying this, but I do NOT use a heat protectant. I am a little past apl, but I have been here for a while, and it may be because I don't use heat protectant. I don't usually straighten my hair, but this last month I went crazy, and now I am paying for it. I think that I have some damage in the middle, and now I am going to have to pray and baby my hair back to health.

I'm not *quite* APL yet, but getting closer. I actually JUST started using the Tressme heat protectant spray and I hate it. My hair feels stiff and sticky. I only blow dry and press once a month so I hate wasting all that time to only get stiff hair. I have some Pantene heat protectant that I haven't tried yet, so we'll see next month maybe.

I use Giovanni heat protectant and it works just fine when I blow dried and flat ironed (which happen this weekend, maybe the first time in almost two years).

Ok, well I'm not *quite* APL yet but I just started using Tresseme Heat Protectant and I hate it. My hair was stiff and sticky and I didn't wear it out too long. I also have some Pantene heat protectant that I haven't used yet but after this experience with the tresseme, I'm kinda nervous.

I just ordered my sample of Sabino Moisture Block so I'll see how I like that. Whether it helps or not....I'm not sure.

I always use a heat protectant. I believe it works for me. Chi-silk infusion, salerm, etc.

Every since I heard about heat protectants, I have been using the good ones. Like Nexxus Heat Protex. Once Navsgeda broke down how they actually work, I couldn't help but use them.

It helps to keep my hair from reverting as quick too. I am BSL and even at SL, they were a must.

I'm not *quite* APL yet, but getting closer. I actually JUST started using the Tressme heat protectant spray and I hate it. My hair feels stiff and sticky. I only blow dry and press once a month so I hate wasting all that time to only get stiff hair. I have some Pantene heat protectant that I haven't tried yet, so we'll see next month maybe.

I tried that mess once and it didn't work out. I currently use Chi Silk Infusion and it works fine.

Back