ApHogee Treatment = Crisp Hair?

chayil0427

Hey ladies

I relaxed yesterday with my usual relaxer but I put an ApHogee treatment in after and then deep conditioned with a moisturizing conditioner.

My hair came out really crispy. Has anyone else noticed this? I just don't think my hair likes this treatment. This is the second time I've done it and my hair has had a fit both times.

I think I'm just going to stick to the 2 minute reconstructor or Aveda from now on when I need protien.

Chayil

gymfreak336 said:
Did you do the HEAVY duty aphogee? You are not supposed to use that one after a relaxer.

Yep...I did the ApHogee Treatment for Damaged Hair. You're not supposed to do this after a relaxer? Really...I didn't know that. :confused: Why?

Chayil

chayil0427 said:
Yep...I did the ApHogee Treatment for Damaged Hair. You're not supposed to do this after a relaxer? Really...I didn't know that. :confused: Why?

Chayil

I remember Sistaslick emailing them and asking. Lemme see if I can find that for you. BRB

gymfreak336 said:
I remember Sistaslick emailing them and asking. Lemme see if I can find that for you. BRB

Thanks...well bust my buttons. The bottle says to use it during chemical processes .... but maybe they're talking about perms and not relaxers.

Chayil

Here are the directions as posted by folica.com

ApHOGEE products are scientifically formulated using the highest quality ingredients, to restore seriously damaged hair to healthy condition.
The ApHOGEE Treatment restores even seriously damaged hair to normal healthy condition when used as directed.
Directions:

Shake well before use!
  1. Gently cleanse hair with ApHOGEE Shampoo. Rinse thoroughly & towel blot day.
  2. Apply enough ApHOGEE Treatment to thoroughly saturate hair and comb blend for even distribution.
  3. Leave hair uncovered. Do not use a plastic cap, and seat client under medium heat dryer. (Alternatively, a hand dryer may be used, but hair should not be agitated while drying.)
    Note: When ApHOGEE Treatment is dried into the hair, the hair becomes extremely hard. Do not comb or brush hair while ApHOGEE Treatment is dried and in the hair.
  4. Re-wet and gently rinse thoroughly with warm water.
  5. Apply ApHOGEE Moisturizer to hair & scalp. Leave for 2 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
  6. Proceed to next service or style as usual.
Bleaching & lifting tint: Wash hair, rinse and towel blot dry. Bleach or lift tint in usual way and rinse. Follow general directions for applying ApHOGEE Treatment.
Depositing tint: Wash hair, rinse and towel blot dry. Follow general directions for applying ApHOGEE Treatment. After ApHOGEE is rinsed out, towel dry and apply depositing tint in usual way. Place a plastic cap over hair and check every 2 1/2 minutes. A warm dryer may be used. When tint is complete, shampoo thoroughly from hair. Apply ApHOGEE Moisturizer to help restore natural moisture balance to hair. Rinse and proceed with next service or style as usual.
Permanent waves: Process perm as directed. When curl pattern is set and rinsing complete, towel blot hair on each rod. Apply ApHOGEE Treatment to each rod and dry under warm dryer. Do not use a plastic cap. Apply neutralizer and leave on hair for manufacturer's suggested length of time. Removes rods without stretching hair and gently massage the neutralizer into hair and scalp. Rinse thoroughly. Apply ApHOGEE Moisturizer to restore shine and luster to hair. Rinse and style as usual.
Ingredients:
Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Magnesium Sulfate, Citric Acid, Ethylene Urea, Dimethylol Urea, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Magnesium Carbonate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

Yea...I guess them using it after a permanent wave made me think it was good after chemical processes. No wonder my stuff is on crisp.

Chayil

chayil0427 said:
Here are the directions as posted by folica.com

ApHOGEE products are scientifically formulated using the highest quality ingredients, to restore seriously damaged hair to healthy condition.
The ApHOGEE Treatment restores even seriously damaged hair to normal healthy condition when used as directed.
Directions:

Shake well before use!
  1. Gently cleanse hair with ApHOGEE Shampoo. Rinse thoroughly & towel blot day.
  2. Apply enough ApHOGEE Treatment to thoroughly saturate hair and comb blend for even distribution.
  3. Leave hair uncovered. Do not use a plastic cap, and seat client under medium heat dryer. (Alternatively, a hand dryer may be used, but hair should not be agitated while drying.)
    Note: When ApHOGEE Treatment is dried into the hair, the hair becomes extremely hard. Do not comb or brush hair while ApHOGEE Treatment is dried and in the hair.
  4. Re-wet and gently rinse thoroughly with warm water.
  5. Apply ApHOGEE Moisturizer to hair & scalp. Leave for 2 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
  6. Proceed to next service or style as usual.
Bleaching & lifting tint: Wash hair, rinse and towel blot dry. Bleach or lift tint in usual way and rinse. Follow general directions for applying ApHOGEE Treatment.
Depositing tint: Wash hair, rinse and towel blot dry. Follow general directions for applying ApHOGEE Treatment. After ApHOGEE is rinsed out, towel dry and apply depositing tint in usual way. Place a plastic cap over hair and check every 2 1/2 minutes. A warm dryer may be used. When tint is complete, shampoo thoroughly from hair. Apply ApHOGEE Moisturizer to help restore natural moisture balance to hair. Rinse and proceed with next service or style as usual.
Permanent waves: Process perm as directed. When curl pattern is set and rinsing complete, towel blot hair on each rod. Apply ApHOGEE Treatment to each rod and dry under warm dryer. Do not use a plastic cap. Apply neutralizer and leave on hair for manufacturer's suggested length of time. Removes rods without stretching hair and gently massage the neutralizer into hair and scalp. Rinse thoroughly. Apply ApHOGEE Moisturizer to restore shine and luster to hair. Rinse and style as usual.
Ingredients:
Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Magnesium Sulfate, Citric Acid, Ethylene Urea, Dimethylol Urea, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Magnesium Carbonate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

Yea...I guess them using it after a permanent wave made me think it was good after chemical processes. No wonder my stuff is on crisp.

Chayil

They need to clarify their instructions. Maybe you should email them and tell them to say that with relaxers, you need to wait 24 hours before using.

I've only seen recommendations to use it a week or more after a relaxer.
I hope your hair gets back to normal.

My last Aphogee treatment made my hair feel less soft - not really crispy, but just not as soft.

It took a 2nd deep condition a few days after that to get me close the normal and a 3rd one to really make my hair feel normal.

Like, you I have been considering sticking with other things. It's just that the Aphogee treatment really is good after you get your moisture back in order.

Hey Chayil,
Maybe you should try it one more time... I love it. I always use it one week after my relaxer. I even use the Aphogee balancing moisturizer afterwards. My hair feels instantly thicker and has more elasticity. It's not crispy or drying at all.

I'd say give it one more try, especially if your hair is giving signs that it is in need of a hard protein treatment!

i use it a week before i relax to strenghten my hair prior to relaxer and I've had good results. i make sure i deep condition for 45mins plus to bring the moisture back into my hair.

I'm still learning myself but this works for me.'

g

I agree....it makes my hair pretty hard too. :perplexed I was going to post and ask the Aphogee ladies if they could suggest a good moisturizer that will give some "slip" after these protein treatments.
Any suggestions?

I agree....it makes my hair pretty hard too. :perplexed I was going to post and ask the Aphogee ladies if they could suggest a good moisturizer that will give some "slip" after these protein treatments.
Any suggestions?

bump!!!!!!

I NEED TO KNOW ALSO

Forget the instructions, that's a lot to do to your hair in one day! Your hair is tired, and wants to be pampered after a harsh process treatment. I used to use the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment until I got Mega-tek. I would recommend using Aphogee two weeks before your damaging hair processing or 2 weeks after.

Actually I think you are better off just giving yourself a deep moisture conditioning after you process. Or the next few days give yourself a gentle hot oil treamtent. (Mix both Olive oil and Coconut oil in a bowl and apply to your scalp ONLY then add a hot wet towel to your head and let sit for 30 minutes.) Or do nothing.

The instructions also say to comb through the hair. :nono: Well with my natural hair I tried to comb it through and my hair was drying very fast and coming out in clumps. :wallbash: So I stopped combing until after I washed and moisture DC'ed my hair. Much better. You can't do all that is recommended because clearly they don't consider all types of hair when they are writing the instructions.

Last edited:
When I aphogeed, I made sure that I used an instant conditioner to add slip then a deep moisturizing conditioner to penetrate the hair shaft with moisture. So 2 conditioners after.

The next time you use it make sure to use it either 1 week before you relax or one week after you relax. Then wait 6 weeks before you perform another treatment.

Back