Aphogee Procedure

moneychaser

Good guide on how to correctly use Aphogee!
<font color="blue"> What on earth is Aphogee?
Aphogee pronounced A-FAH-GEE (thanks misspriss!) is a brand name of a hair care line that professionals use and consumers can get through a beauty supply store like Sally's Beauty. The line has shampoo's and conditioner's and the Aphogee treatment which is famous on the hair board. The line also has a 2-Minute Keratin Intensive Reconstructor that is excellent if your hair is only somewhat damaged.

The Aphogee treatment comes in three sizes... I usually purchase the medium bottle for 5.99. It lasted me three uses on past shoulder length hair. The Aphogee smells bad and is the mother of all protein treatment. It should only be used on extremely damaged hair.

If you use on only somewhat damaged hair, you will not see very dramatic results. I used it once before I destroyed my hair with little results. If you have only somewhat damaged hair, I would suggest something like K-Pak or Emergence or Aphogee 2-Minute or Redken CAT Treatment. All of the above mentioned products are also essential to very damaged hair to be used weekly till your next Aphogee.

So, if you have had your hair bleached or permed and colored or switched colors too many times or been a victim of Easy Straight and your hair is breaking off and very damaged.... Aphogee is going to be a life-saver for your hair.

Some directions: Set aside some time to do Aphogee. Be prepared with clothing, the aphogee treatment itself, a deep conditioner, and a heat cap if you have one. Be prepared with your blow-dryer all ready. Also, be prepared for your hair to get rock-hard. One of the scariest things about aphogee is that if you mess with your hair it will break off once aphogee gets hard. I was scared the first time I did it but it really doesnt move at all once it is hard. SO, it isn't easy for a piece to snap off... you would have to grab it and move it.

I suggest shampooing with something gentle and that leaves your hair de-tangled because after you shampoo you have to apply aphogee and if you use a clarifying poo and your hair is a tangly mess it will be hard.

When you apply aphogee be generous and really rub it in. Don't forget your roots and back area. My biggest tip is to leave it in as long as possible. When you think it can not get any rock-harder wait at least another five minutes. It is really important you leave it in for a while. Remember to blow-dry gently.

Rinse in the shower well. Then towel-dry and deep condition for at least 30 minutes with a heat cap if possible. Also, before you deep condition there is an optional step to apply something that will help with your porousity. You can apply Wella's regenal or Revlon's Roux Porousity Control. Both available at Sally's. They will adjust the Ph of your hair and help your porousity to make color take more evenly.

Aphogee should be done ideally a day before you color your hair. If you want to do it after you color please, please wait at least 2 weeks. It will help your color take better if you do it before also.

Some other helpful tips:::

Leave in your hair for awhile. I find it gets rock-hard in little time and usually leave in for an hour.

First, be prepared for smell. It would be preferably to do when you have a horrible cold. You will probaly still smell it then too, lol!

Second, shampoo with a shampoo that you have that leaves your hair the most de-tangled e.g. a clarifying one is probaly not the best choice. I have done a clarifying poo and then a moisturizing poo after though.

Third, towel-dry hair. Put on something that you don't have to take off via over your head. Get your blow-dryer ready and plugged in. Do not use a heat cap or a plastic cap. Do not add anything to your hair like a leave-in or conditioner.

Fourth, be prepared to apply Aphogee over the sink because the texture is similar to water. Part your hair down the middle and if you have hair past shoulders bring it all to the front. It is also a good idea to comb your hair gently with a wide-tooth comb. Start from bottom up.

Fifth, apply aphogee... I will pour a little in a cupped hand and quickly rub hands together then rub hands along hair. At the end of application, I run a wide-tooth comb through.

Sixth, I usually start blow-dryer on hottest setting but low flow and then when it is harder and doesnt move so easy, I move to higher flow with hottest setting. I have hair well past shoulders and I basically blow-dry agaisnt my shoulders and upper chest.

Seventh, once it is rock-hard... step into shower (it is hard to do over the sink unless you have really short hair) and gently rinse. Once your hair starts to move again, throughly rinse it all out. Then, towel-dry hair and apply deep conditioner for at least 30 minutes.

Some other tips: Unless you have hair above shoulders I wouldn't suggest putting a towel around your shoulders because you hair will stick to it and it will be difficult to remove when it comes time to rinse. Aphogee is sticky! If you have many cuts on your hand and don't like a lil' pain, you could wear gloves because it will sting. Count on getting aphogee on whatever you are wearing and your skin. I have never noticed any harmful effects on clothing or skin.
</font>

good stuff only thing is it didn't really elaborate and empahsize the major condiioning need after the treatment otherwise /images/graemlins/up.gif /images/graemlins/up.gif

Rinse in the shower well. Then towel-dry and deep condition for at least 30 minutes with a heat cap if possible. Also, before you deep condition there is an optional step to apply something that will help with your porousity. You can apply Wella's regenal or Revlon's Roux Porousity Control. Both available at Sally's. They will adjust the Ph of your hair and help your porousity to make color take more evenly.

[ QUOTE ]
denali-- this is very useful info for those who want to use aphoghee.. from where did you get it????

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't it! I ran across it on Makeup Alley, I just had to share it!

That Aphogee is some serious stuff!
My family hates the smell of it though, my mom says it smells like batty-hole /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif (she's Jamaican).

[ QUOTE ]
My family hates the smell of it though, my mom says it smells like batty-hole /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif (she's Jamaican).

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/rofl.gif FUNNY! Thats why I stick to DRC, Aphogee is horrible /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif A couple days after my first application, I could distinctly smelll it on my pillows /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

DRC is expensive and in my experience hard to find, where do you buy yours from? Does it work just as well as aphogee?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/rofl.gif FUNNY! Thats why I stick to DRC, Aphogee is horrible /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif A couple days after my first application, I could distinctly smelll it on my pillows /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
DRC is expensive and in my experience hard to find, where do you buy yours from? Does it work just as well as aphogee?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I picked it up from this HUGE BSS in Hampton Mall (central ave.). I only paid $48 for it /images/graemlins/smile.gif I know a dudleys rep that sells it for $35 but shes always out of stock when I need it /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Denali03,
I heard that you were only supposed to leave it on for 20 minutes under the dryer. So you leave it on for an hour?? /images/graemlins/blush.gif
I thought this could damage your hair?

Kia,
I did not write this! I think the author was trying to emphasize letting the treatment dry COMPLETELY before rinsing it out for optimal results.

thanks alot for the post denali i purchased the aphogee treatment today and i'm treating my hair with it right now. At least i knew what to expect the smell wasn't so bad. I'll be sure to let you know how it comes out

Very helpful post. Thanks.
I'd also like to add that you should do it only once every 6 weeks. Don't make the mistake I made and do it every week for 6 weeks. That's when all my problems started. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Very helpful post. Thanks.
I'd also like to add that you should do it only once every 6 weeks. Don't make the mistake I made and do it every week for 6 weeks. That's when all my problems started. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
What happened /images/graemlins/confused.gif I've been doing deep protein treatments every 4 weeks since Dec. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I barely do them every 2 months, just as needed (if my strand fails a strength test while dry). If you are getting protein via other prodicts i.e poo, conditioner, leave-in and a large dose once a month, you are writing yourself a prescription for trouble. Too much protein will make you hair brittle and hard.

This evening I will be doing an Aphogee treatment, I will be sure to moisturize well afterwards.

well, so far so good. my breakage and shedding was minimal and i had no tangles. after rinsing out the balancing moisturizer i put on some kemi oyl for moisture and attempted to do a braid out. I realize now what's causing frizz- one side of my head is underprocessed. oh i put some new pics up

thanks audrachanell it's getting there, i'm battling the frizzies /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Well, my hair did get dry and brittle. It started breaking off pretty badly. I just knew I'd be completely bald by now but I'm not. This happened around Feb this year. This combined with a couple of bad stylist almost did me in. I conditioned, conditioned and conditioned some more over the past few months. I'm being EXTRA gentle with my hair. My hair is just now getting back to "normal". It's still breaking but not nearly as much as it was when I was done with my "treatment".
I'm not sure if every 4 weeks is bad. The protein experts like Supergirl and others could probably help you on that.

/images/graemlins/confused.gifI'm not sure which Aphogee everyone is using, but the one I use doesn't smell bad at all...actually quite pleasant. It smells kind of coconutty and is creamy. Comes in a white bottle with red writing. Works for me. I just sit under the dryer until my hair gets really hard and rinse.

When I made the first purchase at the BSS I automatically skipped over the 2 minute treatment and opted for the 30 minute one that I've been using. If you don't have the patience for any runny stuff, this may be a better option. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good 2 know...thanx!

Now, what's the difference between the keratin and the protein? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Has anyone ever done the Aphogee treatment while having loads of newgrowth??? I'm a little hesitant about doing that because I'm afraid it'll be a little too much manipulation having to comb it through and all. I usually do "alternative" protein treatments when my newgrowth gets too thick.

Back