Anything wrong with this?! ((FEEDBACK PLEASE))

in_di_vi_du_al

I typed out a hair care regimen for myself in hopes to get some growth this summer. Ive been a LHCF lurker for months now, and Ive finally decided to join! Can ANYONE suggest anything I may be missing or should let go off now?!! I`d APPRECIATE IT!

MIEKA`S HAIR CARE REGIMEN
(June-July 2009)
ROTATING:
1.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sunday

FIRST!
-Hellman`s Mayonaise

- Crapelli`s EVOO
(Processing cap for 30-45 minutes)

- Proclaim Olive Oil

SECOND!

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]CHI (Cationic Hydration Interlink) Shampoo
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]CHI (Cationic Hydration Interlink) Infra Treatment
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]African Royale `Daily Doctor` W/ Ginseng (Maximum Strength)

THIRD!

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Cantu (Shea Butter) Grow Strong Strengthening Treatment

FOURTH!

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Air Dry for an HOUR ( or 45 minutes WITH Cantu)
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Flat Iron hair (NOT TIGHT)
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]WRAP HAIR IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS!

WEDNESDAY NIGHT SPECIAL:

1.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Grease scalp w/ BB `Pine Tar` Scalp Conditioner
2.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Come through GENTLY
3.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Use Pantene `Relaxed & Natural` Wrap & Set Lotion
4.)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]WRAP HAIR IMMEDIATELY

ROTATING WEEK (EVERY OTHER)

• Paul Mitchell: Shampoo Two
  • Conditioner?
  • Leave In- Africa Royale (Daily Doctor w/ Ginseng) + Proclaim Olive Oil
  • Cantu (Shea Butter) Strengthening System
  • AIR DRY
  • FLAT IRON
  • WRAP HAR IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS

DAILY:
AT NIGHT:

Moisturize with Pantene `Relaxed & Natural` Daily Oil Moisturizer w/ Jojoba, Coconut Oils & Moisturizers
OR
Pantene `Relaxed & Natural` Wrap & Set Lotion

ROTATE WITH EVERY OTHER DAY:

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Daily Oil Moisturizer
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Wrap & Set Lotion

WRAP HAIR IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS!

DAILY:
IN THE MORNING:

Ion Silk Drops AROUND wrap to achieve Shininess (EVERY OTHER NIGHT! NOT EVERYNIGHT! WILL RESULT IN BUILD-UP)

Unwrap depending on the way it was wrapped the night before

Spray African Royale (Daily Doctor w/ Ginseng)

ROTATING WEEK (EVERY OTHER)

**Leave In- Africa Royale (Daily Doctor w/ Ginseng) + Proclaim Olive Oil**

• Cantu (Shea Butter) Strengthening System
  • AIR DRY
  • FLAT IRON
  • WRAP HAR IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS

PRODUCT LIST:

• BB ` Pine Tar` Super Grow Conditioner
  • African Royale `Daily Doctor` MAXIMUM STRENGTH Leave-in Conditioner
  • Pentene Relaxed & Natural `Wrap & Set Lotion`
  • Pantene Relaxed & Natural ` Daily Oil Cream Moisturizer`
  • Chi (Infra Shampoo)
  • Chi (Infra Treatment)
  • Proclaim Olive Oil
  • Cantu Shea Butter (Grow Strong Strengthening Treatment)

ARMPIT LENGTH: December 2009!

First, welcome aboard! I'm not sure about the "greasing scalp" part for the Wednesday Night Special. Unless the um..."grease" you use is free of petrolatum (at least for the first five ingredients) you're actually precluding growth--that stuff clogs the pores in your scalp, block moisture and stymies growth. I would recommend a mixture of maybe coconut oil or avocado oil, along with essential oils of rosemary and lavender.

First, welcome aboard! I'm not sure about the "greasing scalp" part for the Wednesday Night Special. Unless the um..."grease" you use is free of petrolatum (at least for the first five ingredients) you're actually precluding growth--that stuff clogs the pores in your scalp, block moisture and stymies growth. I would recommend a mixture of maybe coconut oil or avocado oil, along with essential oils of rosemary and lavender.

Coconut & Avocodo oil? Where would I get that from? And the "grease" sounds worst than it is. Actually- it smells worse than it is. Im using Pine Tar as a scalp treatment. It was highly recommended so I thought I`d give it a try!

hi - welcome. i'm no expert but maybe cut out some of the products. perhaps, start with a reggie that involves less complicated then you can add or remove products as needed. it'll be hard to tell what's working and what's not with so many things. just my opinion, hope it's helpful. as everyone will tell you, i'm sure, do what works for your hair. good luck on your journey!

Coconut & Avocodo oil? Where would I get that from? And the "grease" sounds worst than it is. Actually- it smells worse than it is. Im using Pine Tar as a scalp treatment. It was highly recommended so I thought I`d give it a try!

Any health food store will have those oils.

hi - welcome. i'm no expert but maybe cut out some of the products. perhaps, start with a reggie that involves less complicated then you can add or remove products as needed. it'll be hard to tell what's working and what's not with so many things. just my opinion, hope it's helpful. as everyone will tell you, i'm sure, do what works for your hair. good luck on your journey!

That`s very true. At first I wasnt using anything and the products Im using so far seem to be working. The "BB Pine Tar" is going through a test run! lol

Whew, that's a lot! Are you sure you're gonna have time for all of that?

Question: is the proclaim olive oil a moisturizer?

I think it just sounds like a lot! .. I hope so. I mean I dont generally "mess" with my hair. I wore braids for 6 months after getting a BC and I am really trying to grow my hair back now w/o braids for the summer, and I feel it is do-able.. I just need to make sure Im doing it right. Generally my hair stays wrapped if Im in the house and I dont do much to it. No blow drying, Flat iron once a week or even more if I can go longer but thats it...Idk what else I could do!

Welcome!

You sound serious about getting to APL! I have to agree with some of the other posters, it sounds like a bit too much.

Is your hair relaxed?

Regarding your routine, I'm a big fan of roller setting. Although air drying is not harsh, roller setting will go a long way in smoothing your hair out and keeping it healthy during the week.

I would suggest

pre-conditioning with oil before shampoo (or not, not a deal breaker for me)

shampoo 2 to 3 x's
condition with applied heat for at least 20 mins
roller set with some sort of styling lotion, lottabody/aveda/your choice & a little oil
flat iron with a heat protectant (I like Sabino's Moisture Block)

Then maybe, add some oil to your ends as needed.

Wrap every night.
scalp massage with no oils, just for circulation

I really like Christelyn suggestion of adding in essential oils, I think they're good for the soul. :)

If you look at the routines of many of the ladies here with long hair, it's all fairly simple.

I agree with the other ladies. You are doing way too much. I think you will get tired of all of that real soon. When the initial excitement of starting your new hair journey wears off, you're gonna be bored with doing all of that. Simplicity always works best. Most times, less is more!

It really does sound like there is a lot going on with the regimen. If you change products that much, how will you know what is really working for your hair? Maybe commit to a few basics for a few weeks and start weeding out things from there. If something really just does not work, maybe then you should just immediately remove it from your routine. For the other products, make notes of their pros and cons to help guide you for the rest of your hair care journey. The worst is to remember trying a product but not remembering if you like it or not and why. (Lesson learned from person experience the hard way. LOL!) Good luck to you!

Welcome!

You sound serious about getting to APL! I have to agree with some of the other posters, it sounds like a bit too much.

Is your hair relaxed?

Regarding your routine, I'm a big fan of roller setting. Although air drying is not harsh, roller setting will go a long way in smoothing your hair out and keeping it healthy during the week.

I would suggest

pre-conditioning with oil before shampoo (or not, not a deal breaker for me)

shampoo 2 to 3 x's
condition with applied heat for at least 20 mins
roller set with some sort of styling lotion, lottabody/aveda/your choice & a little oil
flat iron with a heat protectant (I like Sabino's Moisture Block)

Then maybe, add some oil to your ends as needed.

Wrap every night.
scalp massage with no oils, just for circulation

I really like Christelyn suggestion of adding in essential oils, I think they're good for the soul. :)

If you look at the routines of many of the ladies here with long hair, it's all fairly simple.

I agree with this simplified regimen. It sounds like what I started out with & I progressed quickly.

As a newbie myself I can honestly say less is more. Commit to washing, cowashing, and dcing a certain amount of times a month or week. If you want to figure out what is working pick 2 conditioners for cowashing, shampoo, dc, and only a few styling products to rotate thru but use them consistently before rotating so you can compare your hair. A complicated reggie will make you stop being excited and caring for your hair because you'll see it more as a chore than a routine that you enjoy. My reggie was a bit complex but I did have a few simple aspects that kept if fresh and fun. Make sure you read the threads about getting started as a newbie to learn about moisture/protein, porosity, etc. Hope this helps. HHG

My goodness I got tired from just reading all of that. . . I agree with everyone else, less is more.

I couldn't read all of that, brought up bad memories. I've only been at this in earnest for a few months, and I started by trying everything in my drawer and cabinet- then moved on to the stores and net. If I could afford it, I bought it. My DH that was so gung-ho from the beginning got irritated- with good reason. I went from low-maintenance braids to messin in my head for hours. I'm still obsessed, but I have a life other than what's sprouting out of my head. Also now, I have to figure out what I have that actually works (which I'm making good time on, but still).

I have lived your future. Keep it simple hon. You and everyone around you will love you for it. :crystalba

Simplify.... and your hair will thank you. Also, it's easy to jump ship on your hair journey when you do so much to your hair. I know you want to try lots of new stuff. I did the same thing. But less is so much more trust me. Good luck to you!

Gosh that looks complicated. When I first joined I was trying everything too. Now I've got it worked out to a few things that are beneficial to me. Over time, you'll begin to be understand your hair and what it responds to.

Pine tar is an excellent scalp treatment, you got good advice.

However, for me, your regi is too much work! I am super lazy!

I agree w/ keeping it simple. And make sure your daily moisturizer works really well. Your hair shouldn't be parched at the end of the day.

BTW, welcome!! :)

Commit to a shampoo, leave-in, and deep conditioner. Use natural oils like coconut which I highly recommend. There are many members who swear by using heat. Just be careful. I rarely use heat. I always get a roller wrap. And be careful with wrapping your hair as it can cause breakage also. Switch sides when you wrap and use a soft brush.

Good luck.

Back