Anything I should know before getting cornrows?

BobbieDoll

I'm almost 12 weeks post relaxer today and I called my hairdresser for an appointment and she was booked so I decided to get cornrows at another shop instead. I have had them before but they were more for show than anything else and since I am on my journey for longer healthier hair I want to make sure everything goes well. Is there anything I need to do before my appointment tomorrow or while I have them. I wouldn't be as paranoid if I wasn't so far post relaxer. TIA!!

missbobbie said:
I'm almost 12 weeks post relaxer today and I called my hairdresser for an appointment and she was booked so I decided to get cornrows at another shop instead. I have had them before but they were more for show than anything else and since I am on my journey for longer healthier hair I want to make sure everything goes well. Is there anything I need to do before my appointment tomorrow or while I have them. I wouldn't be as paranoid if I wasn't so far post relaxer. TIA!!
if your edges are weak make sure she doesnt braid them too tight...Ive seen plenty of people with amazing growth from cornrows, but it wasnt worth it because their hair line was ate up to their ears :ohwell: not a pretty picture

Ayeshia said:
if your edges are weak make sure she doesnt braid them too tight...Ive seen plenty of people with amazing growth from cornrows, but it wasnt worth it because their hair line was ate up to their ears :ohwell: not a pretty picture

Thanks Ayeshia, I already told her that I didn't want them to be tight and she sort of laughed at me, she'll see tomorrow how serious I am if she starts braiding to tight and I leave.

missbobbie said:
Thanks Ayeshia, I already told her that I didn't want them to be tight and she sort of laughed at me, she'll see tomorrow how serious I am if she starts braiding to tight and I leave.

One time,I could feel the bumps forming after she did one braid. I was like "oh no I can't do this" and I got a spirall set instead.They think that they have to braid really tight so it will last longer, and thats not true at all.

I deep condition my hair really well before I get cornrows because my braider doesn't recommend putting heavy conditioners on the braids. After washing them I spray a leave in conditioner on them.

missbobbie said:

Girl tight braids hurt like hell. One of my cousins braided my hair a couple of summers ago and my eyebrows were up near my hairline. My son told me that I looked like the alien from "Men in Black" when he stretched his face up for the wife. :look:

I know all about tight braids. The last time I got some done I had to take them out 2 days later. I refuse to waste money like that again LOL.

I've had cornrows a few times, I'd recommend a deep conditioner before you go. while I had them, I washed w/Herbel Essence & used a leave in spray conditioner by Elasta Qp. Make sure they aren't too tight in the front and in the back. Some braiders will grab every little hair on your nape. :smile:

Tiffany said:
Bobbie, they are so cute! I want some now! lol Is the back in a bun?

Thanks Tiffany, the back isn't in a bun but it's 2 layers. I will be wearing it in a bun almost everyday though.

Back