Anyone's Hair Can't Stand Oils/Butters?

loolalooh

I'm asking this question for a friend. She's natural (4a), but you don't have to be natural to chime in ....

BACKGROUND:
*She finds that co-washing leaves her hair moisturized but
*She eventually shampoos because of conditioner buildup and the dry hair process starts again
*She uses gentle, non-SLS shampoos and that doesn't seem to help
*She's tried a handful of deep conditioners to no avail (Lustrasilk, Curl Junkie, etc.)
*She doesn't use products with cones (so that's a no to even trying Silk Elements or Pantene for DC-ing):ohwell:
*Parts of her hair like castor oil and parts can put up with shea butter, but
*In general, her hair doesn't like oils or butters so I guess, she needs a moisturizer as well.
*Her hair doesn't like heavy protein

Does anyone have hair that behaves similarly? I suspect she's a conditioner girl (i.e., conditioner to moisturize and seal, no oils, no butter) but I don't know if there's a such thing. :ohwell:

If you hair behaves similarly, can you post the regimen that is working for you and/or make suggestions?

Let me know if you need to know more info about her hair.

Last edited:
Maybe water based products. Maybe the ayurvedic powders would help. Does her hair like glycerin containing products? I dont think conditioner as a leave in would help since she cant co-wash without buildup. What products does she use to co-wash?

My hair hates oils, unless pulled into a bun. It really hates coconut oil, castor oil is ok but it eventually dried the heck out of my hair.

Butters are way to heavy and difficult to wash out.

My hair needs heavy proteins (1x monthly aphogee 2-step) but my hair is 2/3 not 4

My routine is very simple

shampoo: carols daughter black vanilla herbal shampoo
condition: giovanni direct smooth as silk , or Carols daughtor black vanilla hair smoothie
smooth kinky curly knot today leave-in or giovanni direct leave-in
Apply carols daughtor hair milk to finish

My hair Hates oils & butters also! I don't have a regimen yet, but gettin there! NMy Natural hair hates Oils & Butters, and my Relaxed hair likes oils & butters.

Maybe water based products. Maybe the ayurvedic powders would help. Does her hair like glycerin containing products? I dont think conditioner as a leave in would help since she cant co-wash without buildup. What products does she use to co-wash?

I'll pass the info along about water-based products and ayurvedic powders. She said her hair doesn't like straight glycerin but I don't know about glycerin-based ... I'll ask her.

She uses V05 and Suave to co-wash. Do you have other recommendations?

Thanks!

My hair hates oils, unless pulled into a bun. It really hates coconut oil, castor oil is ok but it eventually dried the heck out of my hair.

Butters are way to heavy and difficult to wash out.

My hair needs heavy proteins (1x monthly aphogee 2-step) but my hair is 2/3 not 4

My routine is very simple

shampoo: carols daughter black vanilla herbal shampoo
condition: giovanni direct smooth as silk , or Carols daughtor black vanilla hair smoothie
smooth kinky curly knot today leave-in or giovanni direct leave-in
Apply carols daughtor hair milk to finish

Thanks for the regimen breakdown. Come to think of it, she hasn't tried Carol's Daughter products.

I can relate. My regimen is:
-Detangle with amla oil, vatika oil
-Wash with baking soda/distiller water mixture
-ACV rinse
-Follow with Trader Joe's nourish spa conditioner, leave-in and seal with a bit of castor oil.
-Henna (just started it) twice a month maybe less, we'll see

I have a homemade moisturizer of shea butter, mango butter and coconut oil thatI use if my hair starts feeling really crispy. But I've learned that water based products are best for me, and oils do my hair more good prior to wash. HTH :grin:

Does she have soft, cottony hair? I do, and my hair hates: glycerin and glycerin based products, shea butter, castor oil, coconut oil, and it cannot take a lot of product or conditioner build up. Light oils like jojoba are fine, and oddly kemi oil is fine. And I love quemet biologics and miss jessie's products.
Obviously lots of 4s do well with a lot of the things my hair hates, that's why the 2,3,4,a,b,c thing doesn't tell me anything. But if someone says they have "cotton candy" hair, I'm all ears :)

For co-washing I like Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner and I also like Sally's GVP's PM The Detangler but it has cones in it. Tresemme conditioners arent bad for cowashing. A lot of people like Yes to Carrots/cucumbers conditioners.

Carol's daughter products are on the heavy side/oil based mainly. The hair milk is the lightest.

A lot of people like Afroveda, Oyins or Qhemets biologics. The burdock root butter cream is a lot lighter than the amla and heavy oil. I like Elasta QPs Mango butter. It's creamier than most butters.

Kinky curly pudding is good for WNGs and twists.

Maybe she could add oil to her conditioners or just pre-poo with them.

Some like aloe vera, glycerin and eos as a spray leave in.

My hair, especially my ends, hate oils. After using them a while, my ends get rough and start snagging. When I use serums, I don't have this issue at all, probably because the serum is protecting my hair. Right now I'm using Sally's Argan oil which is mostly cones.

Your friend's hair sounds like it acts like mine. When I first started my hair journey in June '08 my hair was extremely dry. I started cowashing, stopped pooing, and was using conditioner and even deep conditioners as leave in moisturizers (I love Giovanni 50:50 Remoisturizer for this :lick:). During this time I was also experimenting with a lot of products but no oils were working for me. They all just sat on top of my hair and left it crunchy. I also tried non-sulfate poos and they all dry my hair out so I had to find an alternative when I realized that my scalp was itchy because of build - up.

1. Cleansing - poo bars don't dry out my hair like liquid poos do. In fact at first I was just trying natural soaps with great ingredients like this one:
200.jpg

I have been using this one lately
godrej-3-in-1-shikakai-soap__02591_std.jpg

2. I used to use conventional dc's but now I prefer caramel treatment, yogurt & conditioner (I am also protein sensitive but this works great for moisture and strengthening), yogurt/honey/bananas (I use baby food for less work), and henna.

3. I kept trying oils until they worked for me. Mostly because I wanted to reap all the benefits of coconut oil. I started with using them in oil rinses and in the caramel treatment and now my hair loves them. I think that starting to use henna also had something to do with the change.

4. Oils are not moisturizers even though you can use them to seal in water for moist hair. I love love love this
bodi.gif

The ingredients don't even look moisturizing but they are very natural and the smell is great so I tried it and now I only need conditioners for detangling.

If your friend is tight on cash or wants to start by working with what she already has than tell her to try pre-pooing with oils before washing her hair with diluted poo. She can also try using oil after she poos but before putting in her conditioner to detangle. HTH

My hate hates butters.... they just lay on my hair.... I have really soft hair and I found that water based moisturizers work wonders for my hair!!!

I like Aphogee provitamin leave in and I will use a creamy leave in like herbal essences long term relationship and more recently I am trying sally's generic for paul mitchel the conditioner and so far so good 4 me.

I do find lightly using coconut oil on my end is about all the oil my hair can take.

but I do find a pre poo with grape seed oil helps alot with moisture retention b4 my co-washes and shampoo washes

Oh! and my hair like aubrey organics WC conditioner

HTH!!! tell ur friend good luck!

Does she have soft, cottony hair? I do, and my hair hates: glycerin and glycerin based products, shea butter, castor oil, coconut oil, and it cannot take a lot of product or conditioner build up. Light oils like jojoba are fine, and oddly kemi oil is fine. And I love quemet biologics and miss jessie's products.
Obviously lots of 4s do well with a lot of the things my hair hates, that's why the 2,3,4,a,b,c thing doesn't tell me anything. But if someone says they have "cotton candy" hair, I'm all ears :)

Yep, she has soft kind of cottony hair. The bolded is something she can definitely relate too. I just assumed all 4s like butters or oils, but she proved me wrong.

Thank you so much, ladies!! Y'all are the best. I felt really bad because I didn't know what to tell her but all this info. Thanks again! :grinwink:

Last edited:
Back