Anyone using Raw Shea Butter?

Platinum

I had a PJ episode the other day and bought some raw shea butter. I used to use it on my skin but I'm curious how how people are using it in their hair. I know this question has been asked a million times but my search feature is not working.:tantrum::bangdesk:

I had some and made whipped shea butter with it. You can different oils in it and "whip" it up. I used it after washing my hair. I might use it with my TWA when I get my hair cut today...but I have to buy some more.

I had a PJ episode the other day and bought some raw shea butter. I used to use it on my skin but I'm curious how how people are using it in their hair. I know this question has been asked a million times but my search feature is not working.:tantrum::bangdesk:

I use it in my hair. No moisturizer was working for me and I decided to whip my own using raw Shea Butter. Im happy now. I even use it on wet hair since I co wash every day.

Thanks Ladies. I've got so many oils so now I'm trying to figure out which one to use when I whip it. I've got Jojoba, Grapeseed, Castor, Wheat Germ, Coconut, Olive, Sweet Almond, Alma, Vaticka, and Maha Bhringaraj.

Whew... I think that's it but I'm sure I have others.

Thanks Ladies. I've got so many oils so now I'm trying to figure out which one to use when I whip it. I've got Jojoba, Grapeseed, Castor, Wheat Germ, Coconut, Olive, Sweet Almond, Alma, Vaticka, and Maha Bhringaraj.

Girl you sound like me. Start whipping up stuff. All natural no petroleum. You can whip up some Shea, Grapeseed oil ass some coconut oil and castor oil and some Glycerine and your fave EO and taaaadaaa.

I use it on my skin. It leaves it soft, radiant, and has faded my stretch marks on my upper thighs. As for my hair, I use shescentit's hair balm that is based with shea butter. It's great, it leaves my natural 4a hair soft.

I mix shea butter, glycerine, coconut oil, olive oil whipped up and use it on my skin and hair. I've been using it for years best thing for soft supple hair and skin IMHO.

I'm just about to buy some! lol....i'm gonna mix it with coconut oil and olive oil and use it as a deep conditioner. I'm also going to use it on my skin. I've been using a shea butter lotion for months (eczema) and its worked wonders. :yep:

i think you should mix it with the coconut oil, sweet almond, olive and maybe costor oil. but definatly the coconut and sweet almond.

I had some and made whipped shea butter with it. You can different oils in it and "whip" it up. I used it after washing my hair. I might use it with my TWA when I get my hair cut today...but I have to buy some more.
You getting your hair cut today! :blush: Alright!!! :grin:

my hair and my body loves shea butter. my sisters good friend makes blends from time to time with shea butter, almond oil, cocoa butter and lavender essential oil. i usually put it melt a bit in my hands and work it through my hair when its wet. i gotta get some more of that stuff im almost out and lotion just dosen't do what shea butter does.

Do you melt the butter first and then whip it?
I use my own blend of whipped shea butter.

What I do is whip it with a egg beatter while its setting on a candle buner. It melts the butter slowly. I take it off from time to time when I see the melted part in the bottom. Then whip the melted part in to the whipped part. Keep whipping it as as you add the other oils. You might need to put in the fridge for about 5 mins to firm it back up some if it melts to much.

I found out if you don't let it melt some when your making it, it can be grainy feeling. So, IMO, I think you really need to, for it all to be incorparated good.

It takes a little longer doing it this way, but it doesn't take as long for it to firm back up in the end. And it will be very creamy. Some people like to melt their shea butter almost completely before adding the oils.

You can watch people make it on youtube also, thats where I found out how to make mine, before I found LHCF.
HTH.

Last edited:
I use my own blend of whipped shea butter.

What I do is whip it with a egg beatter while its setting on a candle buner. It melts the butter slowly. I take it off from time to time when I see the melted part in the bottom. Then whip the melted part in to the whipped part. Keep whipping it as as you add the other oils. You might need to put in the fridge for about 5 mins to firm it back up some if it melts to much.

I found out if you don't let it melt some when your making it, it can be grainy feeling. So, IMO, I think you really need to, for it all to be incorparated good.

It takes a little longer doing it this way, but it doesn't take as long for it to firm back up in the end. And it will be very creamy. Some people like to melt their shea butter almost completely before adding the oils.

You can watch people make it on youtube also, thats where I found out how to make mine, before I found LHCF.
HTH.
Thanks for the info might try it tonight

ooh, my mother just bought a little tub of pure african shea butter. :blush:

she caught me sneaking for her olive oil when i tried to do an oil rinse ("girl, you better buy your own! this was expensive!") but she doesn't mind sharing her shea butter with me. :scratchch

i think i'm going to try a blend of the shea butter, coconut oil, sweet almond, and olive oil and see how it works as a deep conditioner. think it would be good as a moisterizer on dry hair even?

ooh, my mother just bought a little tub of pure african shea butter. :blush:

she caught me sneaking for her olive oil when i tried to do an oil rinse ("girl, you better buy your own! this was expensive!") but she doesn't mind sharing her shea butter with me. :scratchch

i think i'm going to try a blend of the shea butter, coconut oil, sweet almond, and olive oil and see how it works as a deep conditioner. think it would be good as a moisterizer on dry hair even?

Oooh! That's sounds like a great moisturizer! Let us know how it works for you.

I love it. Mine contains palm kernel oil as well. It is very good at locking in moisture within the hair :yep:

Yesss i use all butters lol
I made a avococoshea hair creme with avocado butter, shea butter, and coconut oil that i slather my hair in at night after moisturizing. It's really great and keeps my hair protected and soft!
I also add a tablespoon of shea butter to my dc's to give me added moisture
I love all butters but shea butter is really nice because it melts in contact with the skin! Not like cocoa butter which i had to prepare for 2 hours (melt it mix it etc) to get it to the consistency of shea butter

I use it as my main styling product. My hair stayed very dry until I found shea butter. I mix it with 100% coconut oil, glycerin and aloe vera gel. I apply it to my wet hair. It's one of the best styling product I've found so far to keep my hair moistuized. It's thick so I get less shrinkage as well.

Do you melt the butter first and then whip it?

I DO NOT recommend melting the butter first. Shea butter will make your hair white if your mixture isn't balanced and you have more shea butter than you need. I like to keep mines solid so when I make my mixture I know how it will look when it's a solid again. I do understand that it needs to be melted when mixing it with certain products (i.e. I tried mixing aloe vera juice with shea butter and it will only mix with it when the shea butter was melted). If you know your exact mixture so your hair won't turn white then you should be fine, but just know that if it's not balanced your hair may turn white. I had to find that out the hard way. :ohwell:

Last edited:
i got mine in the mail today...mixed some with EVOO and this africa's best oil stuff and used on my skin. it still feels great 12 hours later. i will use it on my hair tonight when i baggy.

Back