Anyone used henna to color their hair?

Makenzie

I henna monthly and my hair now has a nice reddish tint to it, but I want more of a bolder red. Since I henna already, I want to use henna to make it even redder.

Anyone color their hair with henna? What was in your mix?

There are a couple of henna threads that will have answers for you as well as hennaforhair.com.

You might have to keep using the henna to get it redder. I use henna/indigo to cover my grays

I henna. :)

If your natural haircolor is very dark, you're not going to get a very red color. Just reddish... maybe you can see it in my siggy pic.

I use henna and orange juice only in my mix. Orange juice helps dye release, but it isn't harsh or very drying on my hair.

There are a couple of henna threads that will have answers for you as well as hennaforhair.com.

Thanks - I looked at hennaforhair.com and wanted input from people with more of a similar texture to mine.

You might have to keep using the henna to get it redder. I use henna/indigo to cover my grays
In the sunlight its a nice reddish color, so hopefully it will get brighter.

I henna. :)

If your natural haircolor is very dark, you're not going to get a very red color. Just reddish... maybe you can see it in my siggy pic.

I use henna and orange juice only in my mix. Orange juice helps dye release, but it isn't harsh or very drying on my hair.

I'll try the orange juice.:yep: So far I've been using oil and conditioner in my mix.

In the sunlight its a nice reddish color, so hopefully it will get brighter.

I'll try the orange juice.:yep: So far I've been using oil and conditioner in my mix.

:nono: Be careful with acids like orange, lemon, etc. in your henna mix for hair.

Some people may find it's fine, but for most, it does cause dryness which can lead to breakage.
I would recommend that you continue with just water, oil and/or conditioner in your mix.

Send Khadija.D.Carryl a PM.
She will tell you how to get redder tones if possible.

Yeah I think it may depend on what type of henna you use. Some leave a deeper red than others. Jamila leaves my hair more orange while I get a burgundy color from Karishma. I hear the Punjabi Prime from Catherine's site gives the kinda of red you're describing, but I haven't used it myself.

I HENNA I USE HERBAL BURGUNDY HENNA MIX WITH HOT WATER OR COND MAY TRY JUICE? just did a touch up so i will henna in a week or too

:nono: Be careful with acids like orange, lemon, etc. in your henna mix for hair.

Some people may find it's fine, but for most, it does cause dryness which can lead to breakage.
I would recommend that you continue with just water, oil and/or conditioner in your mix.

True. Some people do have problems with acids. Orange juice has a ph of about 3.5 Lemon juice has one of about 2.

Lemon is a way more powerful acid than orange.

I wouldn't try lemon, but I personally like orange. :) but we all know that what works for one doesn't always work for another.

but that shouldn't stop us from at least trying things sometimes. Just be smart about it. :)

I've skimmed through it, but didn't see where someone purposely used it create a red hair color. But then again, I skimmed through that loooonnngg thread.:lol:

I actually posted a couple of pics in the "Do Y'all Henna" thread toward the end of it showing my color results using henna from Yemen. I've been using henna specifically for color since November. I get an intense color BUT my natural hair color is very light so I attribute this to my intense henna color. As far as my mix, warm water and henna is all I need. I find conditioner and oils make the color less intense. I don't fool with any of the acids whatsoever because it really isn't even necessary-for my hair, anyway.

I actually posted a couple of pics in the "Do Y'all Henna" thread toward the end of it showing my color results using henna from Yemen. I've been using henna specifically for color since November. I get an intense color BUT my natural hair color is very light so I attribute this to my intense henna color. As far as my mix, warm water and henna is all I need. I find conditioner and oils make the color less intense. I don't fool with any of the acids whatsoever because it really isn't even necessary-for my hair, anyway.

I was just coming back to say the bold. OP, if you're using oil and conditioner in your mix it's probably affecting your color results. Try it with just water and see what happens before you switch to a different henna.

Great idea. She was the one who suggested I use oils so I could get that shine everyone talks about.

Yeah I think it may depend on what type of henna you use. Some leave a deeper red than others. Jamila leaves my hair more orange while I get a burgundy color from Karishma. I hear the Punjabi Prime from Catherine's site gives the kinda of red you're describing, but I haven't used it myself.
Will check my brand when I get home.

I HENNA I USE HERBAL BURGUNDY HENNA MIX WITH HOT WATER OR COND MAY TRY JUICE? just did a touch up so i will henna in a week or too
When I started using henna I only used hot water and conditioner.

I'll go look for it. Thanks

I was just coming back to say the bold. OP, if you're using oil and conditioner in your mix it's probably affecting your color results. Try it with just water and see what happens before you switch to a different henna.
Using it with just hot water and a bit of conditioner is how I got the reddish color I now have. I'll stop trying to take the shortcut and look at that thread more closely to see if I can make the red pop.

Using it with just hot water and a bit of conditioner is how I got the reddish color I now have. I'll stop trying to take the shortcut and look at that thread more closely to see if I can make the red pop.

Also check with Khadija about the temperature of water. I am pretty sure the water shouldn't be boiling.

I've heard some people use boiling water but all they are doing is cooking the mix and I don't think that gives the best color.

I use warm water to make my mixes, not hot.

Also check with Khadija about the temperature of water. I am pretty sure the water shouldn't be boiling.

I've heard some people use boiling water but all they are doing is cooking the mix and I don't think that gives the best color.

I use warm water to make my mixes, not hot.
Ok. My water is hot out of the tap. Not boiling hot.

try using henna and water only. no oils, no conditoner, no other powders. just henna and water.
I agree. This is how I started and will probably go back to this method. After I try the oj. Real curious about that.

I use NUPUR Henna, and I mix mine with room temperature coffee, amla oil, and AO White Camelia condish. I sleep with mine overnite. I get the most beautiful auburn-is/almost burgandy color on my black hair. You can really only see it if the sun hits my head just so. Otherwise indoors my hair is still plain ol' black. My greys are a nice rich dark-firey-orange/red...also only noticeable in the sunlight, or if I'm indoors I gotta go digging for them between the black strands.:lachen:

NUPUR has amla powder in it, and other 100% pure indian herbs too, like bhringraj, and shikakai....so its really very good for the hair. I am simply impressed and blown away with the color I get.:yep:

I use oil and conditioner in my Jamila henna AFTER I let it sit overnight to allow the color to release. I never have any problems rinsing it out or dryness. My hair is a deep burgundy.

I use NUPUR Henna, and I mix mine with room temperature coffee, amla oil, and AO White Camelia condish. I sleep with mine overnite. I get the most beautiful auburn-is/almost burgandy color on my black hair. You can really only see it if the sun hits my head just so. Otherwise indoors my hair is still plain ol' black. My greys are a nice rich dark-firey-orange/red...also only noticeable in the sunlight, or if I'm indoors I gotta go digging for them between the black strands.:lachen:

NUPUR has amla powder in it, and other 100% pure indian herbs too, like bhringraj, and shikakai....so its really very good for the hair. I am simply impressed and blown away with the color I get.:yep:
My grays are a beautiful red too.

I use oil and conditioner in my Jamila henna AFTER I let it sit overnight to allow the color to release. I never have any problems rinsing it out or dryness. My hair is a deep burgundy.
I may try this.

Where are you ladies ordering your henna from?
www.hennaforhair.com is where I get mine.

Back