Anyone use kiddie perms for touch-ups?

candycane

If so, what were/are your results. I am seriously considering giving up lye relaxers and going back to no lye but wanted to check all of my options before I do my touch up. Please share your experiences....TIA

candycane

I USED to touch-up w/Just for Me no-lye relaxer up until I joined the board last year. In all honesty, I liked using the "kiddie perm" but my hairdresser told me kiddie perms are the worst ones to use b/c they contain calcium hydroxide (i believe that's what it's called), which dries out one's hair. I've been "experimenting" with different ones since joining the board, and I think my next venture will be Elucence b/c of all the raves I've heard about it!!

I used Just for me in the past probably 2 times. I agree that they can be drying. I know someone told me something about how they are not better than other relaxers not geared for young children. I do not remember what they told me though.
77.gif

nolechik said:
I USED to touch-up w/Just for Me no-lye relaxer up until I joined the board last year. In all honesty, I liked using the "kiddie perm" but my hairdresser told me kiddie perms are the worst ones to use b/c they contain calcium hydroxide (i believe that's what it's called), which dries out one's hair. I've been "experimenting" with different ones since joining the board, and I think my next venture will be Elucence b/c of all the raves I've heard about it!!

Wow, really? Why would they make something like that for children? But then again I guess I shouldn't be surprised since so many products that are supposedly geared towards kids are actually very harsh. A prime example is baby shampoo.

MizAvalon...I think it's b/c kiddie perms are geared towards virgin hair, so my guess would be they're stronger so the relaxer will take the first time in someone's hair?!?!?

My last touch up was with Kid's Organics. I mixed it with AO J.A.Y. conditioner. I also used a decalcifying neutralizing shampoo after washing with the neutralizer that came with it. After washing, I used Aphogee Treatment in my hair. I've always done this when I used no-lye, that is using the aphogee treatment. This didn't seem to work very well when I used Lye relaxers. Besides, no-lye is more gentle on my scalp.

ballet_bun said:
My last touch up was with Kid's Organics. I mixed it with AO J.A.Y. conditioner. I also used a decalcifying neutralizing shampoo after washing with the neutralizer that came with it. After washing, I used Aphogee Treatment in my hair. I've always done this when I used no-lye, that is using the aphogee treatment. This didn't seem to work very well when I used Lye relaxers. Besides, no-lye is more gentle on my scalp.
Hey BB,
Can you give an example of a decalcifying neutralizing shampoo and also explain it's purpose. TIA

candycane

candycane said:
Hey BB,
Can you give an example of a decalcifying neutralizing shampoo and also explain it's purpose. TIA

candycane
Kid's Organics is made by Africa's Best. One of the regualr relaxers by Africa's Best contains a Decalcifying Neutralizing shampoo. So, I purchased the relaxer kit just so that I could use the Decalcifying Neutralizing shampoo with my Kid's Organics Relaxer. It's supposed to help remove calcium deposits on the hair I guess, since no-lye contains Calcium Hydroxide.

HTH!

Ballet Bun

Hi! Back when I was younger and got perms I used Just for Me. It really agreed with my hair. If I ever go back to perms, that is what I will use. My stupid hardresser at the time, switched me to motions because I was 16 and supposedly "too old" for kiddie perms and that was an absolute disaster!

Back