anyone use hot rollers?

ericajoy

I've been thinking about using hot rollers for when I want to curl my hair without wet-setting and without using a curling iron. Has anyone had any success with them and if so, what brand?

Thanks! :drunk:

My hair is thin so i can get away with setting dry hair on satin rollers overnight. Just lightly moisturise and seal before you roll.
04319419037_220x220_e.jpg
04319419037_220x220_a.jpg

I would finish my hair with a light spray of Elnett for extra hold. I like this hairspray and it is not stiff.
040843.jpg

I've been thinking about using hot rollers for when I want to curl my hair without wet-setting and without using a curling iron. Has anyone had any success with them and if so, what brand?

Thanks! :drunk:

When I get my hair straightened I use them if I want a little more curl. I have had them for years....i forgot the brand (I'm not home).....but I started using them when I transitioned.....now they really aren't big enough....i plan to look for a set with larger rollers.....

A lot people use steam rollers (Caruso's). I own every type of rollers except hot air rollers. I love rollers...French bouffant, magnetic, foam, satin-covered of all sizes, pillow rollers, etc. I have those Hype hair rollers in 3 sizes.

I purchased these yesterday and have used them a couple of times and they're not bad. The clips leave a bit of a crease in the hair which is annoying.

I just got a haircut from BSL to shoulder length and the shorter length is a little high maintenance for me so I think I need a bit of heat involved with my styling. I'm still going to air dry first though. I'll need to up my protein game and watch these fresh ends like a hawk.

Anyone have an awesome recommendation on heat protectant products?

Are hot rollers the same thing as steam rollers, like the caruso's? I have those but I have only used them once.

No the caruso's provide more moisture from the steam and are more gentle on the hair. I'll probably try some in the future, but I needed instant gratification and am a bit put off by all of the claims that the steam mechanism tends to die out quickly.

No the caruso's provide more moisture from the steam and are more gentle on the hair. I'll probably try some in the future, but I needed instant gratification and am a bit put off by all of the claims that the steam mechanism tends to die out quickly.

The reason why I've never purchased rollers like that is because it seems the same as using a curling iron. Have you found the heat to be gentle on your hair? Well...I guess you did just get them, but give us some feedback when you can, please!

I'm always looking to extend my roller collection.

Solitude They don't get THAT hot and they start to cool off pretty quickly, which is def better than using a curling iron. They're meant to work with the clips heated as well but I don't use them heated. I don't want that much heat. I'll def be updating though. This is a new adventure for me.

Thanks ladies. I guess I was thinking of the steam rollers, like Caruso. I remember my mom had some and I used them once or twice but don't remember how my hair turned out. I definitely remember they don't get nearly as hot as a curling iron.

I want to try them b/c sometimes I want to take my bun down (my usual daily style) and curl my hair to go somewhere at night, but I don't want to use a curling iron. May have to invest in a set and just see...

Anyone else have experience with these rollers?

I bought the ones that NIN4eva referenced yesterday while in Wal-mart. I'm sitting here with them in right now. Will report back after taking them out... Stay tuned

Sent from my stupid Smartphone

I have some hot rollers. I don't think they are anything like a curling iron. Mainly they just don't get that hot.

I have just used them to "start" curls. Kind of like what Ateyaaa does with using her curling iron to start her wrap? I use them to curl my hair before I put it in dry rollers for bed.

I have the Caruso's steam rollers. I use them every morning but I am thinking of switching to hot rollers so I can put them in quicker. with the steam rollers you can only put one roller on the steam at a time and I would like to shave a few minutes off my time.

Aaah yes... That dreaded crimp from the clip. Otherwise not too bad. I was rather sloppy with it because I was more so curious to see how it worked. I tried it on poofy air-dried hair that had only leave-in conditioner and moisturizer in it. Got big fluffy curls. Not sure how long they'll last tho. Will give it another try or two before tossing the receipt.
Trying to figure out how to upload a pic from my phone...

Sent from my stupid Smartphone

I've been wondering about this as well. I have hot rollers from WalMart (purple set and hard, green set). I haven't used them in years. It seems like they wouldn't be as damaging as an iron or dryer b/c they don't get that hot; you're not pulling you'd hair between ceramic/metal or a steady stream of heat; and the heat dissipates quickly.

I may actually get a sew in in September, but will probably get a set or two of hot curlers next spring (after the rain) for occasional use.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Yes. I use them often and love them! The heat isn't as bad for your hair like a curling iron or flat iron would be. Especially if you use the ones with the velvet covering. I have no problem with crimps from clips because of the type of clips I'm using. Here are some pictures. I bought these at Sally's for $36 I think.
4c7f6a03-8044-c39e.jpg

sorry if the picture is large. I'm using my phone :-/

Yeah I bought some hot rollers recently from Babyliss. A couple of things I've picked up from using them are, don't use them on freshly washed hair, it works better (well for me) on day or preferably two day old hair. Also, roll the hair from the middle of the section rather than start from the ends as the ends are slightly more protected from the rest of the hair section.

It took a couple of a attempts but I can now achieve some really nice glamorous curls with volume. I don't intend to use these often, they will be the item that I pick up when I need to go out in a hurry and I need a fast hairstyle. In the meantime my satin rollers and flexi rods will be more than sufficient.

Thanks for the info about avoiding the crimps. I got some hot rollers a few days ago but was about to return them because of the crimps.

Yes. I use them often and love them! The heat isn't as bad for your hair like a curling iron or flat iron would be. Especially if you use the ones with the velvet covering. I have no problem with crimps from clips because of the type of clips I'm using. Here are some pictures. I bought these at Sally's for $36 I think.
4c7f6a03-8044-c39e.jpg

sorry if the picture is large. I'm using my phone :-/

Esthi, thank you so much for this pic. I love those roller clips - do they come with the rollers or did you buy separately? Also I really tend to like Jilbere products - good to know that they make hot rollers!

ericajoy. You're welcome! The set comes with the claw clips and these stupid things...
4c7f6a03-907f-bb20.jpg

of which I've never mastered. I also like that they are ceramic porcelain with velvet covering which protects from heat damage :yep:

Thanks! And I must say that after all day of running errands, sweating, wind whipping thru it, and the baby yanking on it and drooling in it, it has held up pretty well. Probably would have been better had I not been so sloppy about rolling it and using bigger sections of hair than I probably should have. Also would probably help if next time I use some type of hairspray or product with hold. Maybe a setting foam.
I'd say it's worth the money for those times I forget to do something with my hair before bed, or when I need a quick style.

Thanks! And I must say that after all day of running errands, sweating, wind whipping thru it, and the baby yanking on it and drooling in it, it has held up pretty well. Probably would have been better had I not been so sloppy about rolling it and using bigger sections of hair than I probably should have. Also would probably help if next time I use some type of hairspray or product with hold. Maybe a setting foam.
I'd say it's worth the money for those times I forget to do something with my hair before bed, or when I need a quick style.

Nice! That's exactly what I'm thinking of using them for. And good to know about the hairspray or setting foam.

Back