Anyone use Dessert Essence Organics shampoo or conditioner?

Muse

I have been on a shampoo experimenting kick lately. I was cowashing daily and it stopped my breakage but it started to get to my scalp and the moisturizing poos that I have(CON and Roux) weren't enough to get rid of the thick buildup on my scalp. They just left even more film! Anyway I decided that I want to keep my shampoos as natural as possible because I am rubbing it into my scalp. I started using JASON scalp balancing poo and I really like it but when I was in the Vitamin Shoppe yesterday I saw the Dessert Essence hair products. So being a bit of a PJ I grabbed the Italian Red Grape poo. http://www.vitacost.com/Desert-Essence-Organics-Shampoo-Italian-Red-Grape#IngredientFacts

It smells like grape Kool-Aid and I just love the ingredients. Nettle is the 2nd ingredient. Nettle is suppose to be really good for the hair and scalp. I thougth it would give me tangles like all natural poos do but not at all! It felt like I was using CON. It actually DETANGLED. I think I've found a more natural CON alternative that doesn't leave a film. It has slip and lots of lather but I used too much because I wasn't expecting it to lather, so a little goes a long way. Rinsing out felt good and my hair wasn't stripped but soft and clean. This is not even considered their moisturizing formula either but they didn't have that one at VS. I plan on going back and getting the conditioner this weekend.

Anyone else try these poos and cons?

PS. If it's at Whole Foods you may be able to get a free sample. The one where I go to will allow you to take home a sample of ANY health and beauty item there. They pour it in a little plastic cotainer from the tester bottles or they will make a brand new bottle a tester so you can have a sample. Don't know if all WF does this.

ETA: LOL my bad just realized I spelled it with two "s"s it's suppose to be Desert Essence.

Last edited:
I just ordered the conditioner last week, I should have it in a few days.
The ingredients look really good and I'm giving cone-free a try again, but the grape scent scares me. :lol:
Since I have to order everything and can only go by the description, I'm always afraid fruity scents will smell like some synthetic bubble gum, but you like it?

I just ordered the conditioner last week, I should have it in a few days.
The ingredients look really good and I'm giving cone-free a try again, but the grape scent scares me. :lol:
Since I have to order everything and can only go by the description, I'm always afraid fruity scents will smell like some synthetic bubble gum, but you like it?

Hello,

Yay! Another user! I do like the smell but then again it didn't really stay with me because I didn't use the matching con so my con covered it up. Don't know if it's the kinda grapes I'd like to go around smelling like (think grape jelly, kool-aid or grape blow pop sucker). I'm ok with the smell as long as it doesn't linger all day. They seal the bottles with a safety seal under the cap so you're not missing out ordering online, you wouldn't be able to smell it if you found it locally either. I am still going to get the con because the ingredients are just too :lick:.

I can't wait to hear your review of how this works for you and let me know what you think about the smell when you get it. I'm trying to see if I'm describing it right or if it's just me.:spinning:

LuckyVitamin.comand amazon.com both have them as well. I have tried the grape, apple and coconut condishes and liked them, but wasn't blown away.

I used the Dessert Essence Coconut Conditioner on Sunday, and I like it. After I detangled with it, I added some EVOO and did an overnight DC.

The conditioner arrived and I cowashed with it this morning.
It did smell like grape kool-aid/bubblegum/candy, but once it hit my wet hair it wasn't too bad, kind of fresh, even.

Nice texture, not too runny. You could definitely tell there wasn't a trace of a cone, so not a whole lot of slip.

I left it in for a wash n go, it clumped my coils nicely, but now that it has dried, it feels rather crunchy.. It did give my hair a lot of "hang" which I guess is good for days you're for a not so big look.

Now I want the coconut one..

I have Desert Essence's Hydrating Shea Butter conditioner, but it hardly does anything for my hair. My hair doesn't seem to absorb it. I don't think I'll be repurchasing this product.

The conditioner arrived and I cowashed with it this morning.
It did smell like grape kool-aid/bubblegum/candy, but once it hit my wet hair it wasn't too bad, kind of fresh, even.

Nice texture, not too runny. You could definitely tell there wasn't a trace of a cone, so not a whole lot of slip.

I left it in for a wash n go, it clumped my coils nicely, but now that it has dried, it feels rather crunchy.. It did give my hair a lot of "hang" which I guess is good for days you're for a not so big look.

Now I want the coconut one..

Thanks for your review. I did end up buying the condish as well and I did not like it.:nono: I have tried it several different ways (after the poo, cowash, etc) and it did not work. I got no slip and absolutely no moisture. The shampoo is the bomb but the conditioner I will not repurchase.

I just saw this today at whole food and I wish I had know about the sample thing it would've been on!

Yeah try it out next time. I almost passed out when they told me this.:yep:

I have Desert Essence's Hydrating Shea Butter conditioner, but it hardly does anything for my hair. My hair doesn't seem to absorb it. I don't think I'll be repurchasing this product.

That's the same reaction I had with the Italian Red Grape con. Didn't do anything at all and felt like my hair did not absorb it. A good organic combo is the Red Grape shampoo and Aubrey Organics HSR con :lick:.

I use the green apple and ginger conditioner and it smells quite nice and works really well. Usually I mix in some EVCO.

I have tried all the conditioner "flavors". I love the Italian Red grape, Red Raspberry, Green Apple, and Coconut. I didn't like the Lemon or the fragrance-free.

Back