Anyone Transition From Texlaxed/Tex'rized To Straight?

MizaniMami

If so why? Would you rec. it? Why or why not? Do you think transitioning from Texlaxed to straight will damage the hair?

I am thinking to going back to being straight. I don't know about these knots. I like being texlaxed because it seems like it would make my hair retain more length but in the end my hair really doesn't feel any different.:confused: Maybe so maybe not.

Any experience with this situation??? Any advice recs. will be appreciated.

I am currently transitioning back to straight. I was texturized by Jazma and did the wash and wear but I felt that it made my hair really dry. On my relaxed hair I could roller set without any problems and my hair felt moisturized. With the texlaxed hair I could not roller set and have my hair feeling moisturized. As well with the textlaxed hair I would reach out for my flat iron more to get it straight.
I got a corrective relaxer done (I think my stylist used Elasta or Elucence), althought it got my hair straighter it is still not bone straight. I am still growing out the texlaxed hair.
I think that I can either be relaxed or natural. The texlax hair simply did not work for me. My hair type is 4a. Hope this helps.

Jbirds1 said:
I am currently transitioning back to straight. I was texturized by Jazma and did the wash and wear but I felt that it made my hair really dry. On my relaxed hair I could roller set without any problems and my hair felt moisturized. With the texlaxed hair I could not roller set and have my hair feeling moisturized. As well with the textlaxed hair I would reach out for my flat iron more to get it straight.
I got a corrective relaxer done (I think my stylist used Elasta or Elucence), althought it got my hair straighter it is still not bone straight. I am still growing out the texlaxed hair.
I think that I can either be relaxed or natural. The texlax hair simply did not work for me. My hair type is 4a. Hope this helps.
Hm. You raise some good points. I've been battling some extreme dryness for months and I'm starting to think that maybe it's just being texturized that's causing my dryness issues.

I don't want to go bone straight, but I'm seriously considering going back to being relaxed.

yes, i have transitioned for a whole year from texturizer, textlaxed and underprocessed dry hair to silky straight relaxed and moisturised hair and i'm loving every minute of it, i'm sad i didn't relax my hair straight from the beginning, i still have four inches left over of textlax however i'm managed well by keepiong it extra moisturised and using the baggie trick. I wore lots of protective styles and did trims/cuts because my ends were dried and damaged, however i didn't relax my hair for year, you don't have to do that you could just relax the roots however often, the trick is low manipulation when your dealing with texture.

Last edited:
den1 said:
yes, i have transitioned for a whole year from texturizer, textlaxed and underprocessed dry hair to silky straight relaxed and moisturised hair and i'm loving every minute of it, i'm sad i didn't relax my hair straight from the beginning, i still have four inches left over of textlax however i'm managed well by keepiong it extra moisturised and using the baggie trick. I wore lots of protective styles and did trims/cuts because my ends were dried and damaged, however i didn't relax my hair for year, you don't have to do that you could just relax the roots however often, the trick is low manipulation when your dealing with texture.

You are making me feel a lot better about the situation! Thank you for coming in with your post.

Thanks to you all.

Still thinking about it though...

I would definately like to go back to being bone straight, but I cant do a corrective cos this was meant to be a corrective which made my whole head frizzy. I am transitioning to bone straight, i relaxed the roots straight and as Den said, I manipulate it as little as poss and am trying to find products that make it easier to deal with.

I can't even lie...I've thought about it a few times! I defintitely don't want to be bone straight again, but straight sounds pretty good at times. My hair is fine so far, (with 3-4 inches of texlaxed hair), but it's hard for me to imagine what it will be like with my whole head texlaxed.

Watching this thread...:)

lauren450 said:
I can't even lie...I've thought about it a few times! I defintitely don't want to be bone straight again, but straight sounds pretty good at times. My hair is fine so far, (with 3-4 inches of texlaxed hair), but it's hard for me to imagine what it will be like with my whole head texlaxed.

Watching this thread...:)

You and me both.I've been reading the replies over and over again.

I have thought about relaxing straight several times. My hair is thick but the strands are very fine and it knots up something terrible. I've been learning to control the tangles. Porosity Control and Silicon Mix are best I've used on my hair for detangling and I started back combing my hair to keep the tangles at a minimum. It would be so much easier bone straight but it would also be so much thinner which is why I will never do it.

I wish I had a solid solution for you, but I'm not sure myself anymore. Here's the deal, I know my hair can't handle bone straight, ever--it's just too fine. So that's out. But I go back and forth between deciding whether texturized (closer to natural texture) or texlaxed (closer to wavy, or relaxed) is better for retaining length.

If you can handle straight (which to me is a VERY slight wave pattern when wet, but comes out straight in a rollerset or airdried ponytail or scarf method, then you're good to go. For me, texlaxed is best because I can retain some thickness and there's no frizz. Texturized just meant dry hair issues as many ladies mentioned. It was a lot of work, and I felt like it needed extra manipulation which just compromises length goals in the end.

That probabaly didn't help much ;) . Just let us know what you decide!

OneInAMillion said:
I wish I had a solid solution for you, but I'm not sure myself anymore. Here's the deal, I know my hair can't handle bone straight, ever--it's just too fine. So that's out. But I go back and forth between deciding whether texturized (closer to natural texture) or texlaxed (closer to wavy, or relaxed) is better for retaining length.

If you can handle straight (which to me is a VERY slight wave pattern when wet, but comes out straight in a rollerset or airdried ponytail or scarf method, then you're good to go. For me, texlaxed is best because I can retain some thickness and there's no frizz. Texturized just meant dry hair issues as many ladies mentioned. It was a lot of work, and I felt like it needed extra manipulation which just compromises length goals in the end.

Thanks for chiming in.

This is such a hard decision for me. But i think Imma tough it out with the texlaxing thing (this is how I feel right now, never know if I might change:lol: ).

I want my hair to be long and i will do anything it takes. Anything. And if that means tangles than that just means I need to step up my game and find a good detangler.

OneInAMillion said:

I think you're definition of texlaxed and texturized was on point. I'll to correct my post in that I was texturized with Jazma because it was really similar to my natural texture. Right now I am texlaxed because the corrective relaxer did not get my hair bone straight. My hair hair is fine too so thats ok. I have seen a difference in my hair since I got the corrective relaxer done.

Alright yall, after yet ANOTHER horror night while detangling I have come to a final decision for the health of my hair.

I HAVE to go back to relaxing straight. I broke down to the root of my knots and it was my texlaxed hair that had the problems. I had to bust out with the fine rat tal comb and after spending about 30 minutes on one section +lots of hair in the comb, I gave up when I found myself frustrated ready to snap the comb through my hair.

I really wanted to go the texlax route but I can't. I know exactly what my problem is and thta is texlaxing.

MizaniMami said:
Alright yall, after yet ANOTHER horror night while detangling I have come to a final decision for the health of my hair.

I HAVE to go back to relaxing straight. I broke down to the root of my knots and it was my texlaxed hair that had the problems. I had to bust out with the fine rat tal comb and after spending about 30 minutes on one section +lots of hair in the comb, I gave up when I found myself frustrated ready to snap the comb through my hair.

I really wanted to go the texlax route but I can't. I know exactly what my problem is and thta is texlaxing.

Don't feel bad! You're letting your hair lead you, and that's the best thing you can do.

I might be right behind you.
:cheers:

Wow, I am new to the this board and I was really fascinated by the texlaxing. I had never heard of it. I want to try it out. (Currently my hair is relaxed). But my mainstay is rollersetting... I don't know if i could still do that with texlaxed. I was going to texlax so that when I did flat iron, my hair would be thick in volume.

Thanks for posting this because now I am taking a good look at the benefits. Maybe y'all could start a pros and cons list of what texlaxed has done for you... It would be very insightful for me :)

ritzbitz78 said:
Wow, I am new to the this board and I was really fascinated by the texlaxing. I had never heard of it. I want to try it out. (Currently my hair is relaxed). But my mainstay is rollersetting... I don't know if i could still do that with texlaxed. I was going to texlax so that when I did flat iron, my hair would be thick in volume.

Thanks for posting this because now I am taking a good look at the benefits. Maybe y'all could start a pros and cons list of what texlaxed has done for you... It would be very insightful for me :)

My pros and cons wouldn't be very helpful to you right now.:lol:

But seriously a lot of ladies are lovin' the texlaxed route. Just not for me.

I HAVE to go back to straight hair unless I want to end up losing length in the end. Oh well. Another lesson learned for me.

Your hair looks texlaxed to me in your pic.......

ritzbitz78 said:

I seriously debated a root to tip b/c I couldn't deal with the 30+ minute detangling sessions, but then I rediscovered CON shampoo and Roux conditioner, and its soooooo much easier. I only have issues at week 8+, I never stretch much longer than that anyway, but I think I will just start relaxing when I get X amount of growth as opposed to a certain time frame. Another reason I don't want to relax straight is b/c the new growth will be more obvious and I won't be able to rock the wash and go buns anymore without looking like who-dun-it.

Yeah when mine is wet, I have little ringlets, but when it dries, its huge and poofy, so I guess I shouldn't generalize :) . But for the most part, that how my looks when I wash it. When my hair was relaxed straight, there was no curl whatsoever, and it dried completely straight with no effort at all. I think that leaving some amount of wave or curl is probably best, and what most of us do.

ETA: As I rollerset my hair, I have to try to go as quickly as possible because it poofs up immediately, whereas when I relaxed it straighter, I didn't have that problem. Hope that makes sense

My last relaxer was on September 8, 2006 (about 2.5weeks ago) My wet hair has only been bone straight when wet, right after the relaxer is washed out or maybe the 1st week after the touch up. Then it remembers its roots, its heritage, and starts to do its thing. (see above picture)

I am going to try and stretch the relaxer as long as possible (i usually relax every 8 weeks) so we will see how that goes.:look:

MizaniMami said:
Thanks for chiming in.

This is such a hard decision for me. But i think Imma tough it out with the texlaxing thing (this is how I feel right now, never know if I might change:lol: ).

I want my hair to be long and i will do anything it takes. Anything. And if that means tangles than that just means I need to step up my game and find a good detangler.

Thank you for starting this thread. I have been struggling with this ever since I joined the GHLW Challenge (Low manipulation and no combing). My wig has been a tangled mess and I have been thinking "I should touch up early and do it BONE STRAIGHT!" :mad: But, I know my hair is significantly stronger and healthier where it is texlaxed than it is where it's bone straight and I want to continue the process to transforming to a thick, healthy head of hair and not thinner hair.

MizaniMami said:

Oh NO! The Eqyss Survivor didn't help? That's tragic.

Texlaxed is not for everyone. You gotta do what you hair says.

Last edited:
sareca said:
Oh NO! The Eqyss Survivor didn't help? That's tragic.

Texlaxed is not for everyone. You gotta do what you hair says.

Girl my hair looked at that Eqyss, looked at me, and was like "Girl Bye!"

I just had to bump this because this is totally what I'm going through right now :wallbash:

By this definition, I have about 3 inches of texturized hair and the rest is texlaxed.

Has anyone had experience transitioning between the two? Any breakage?

And how about a corrective to go from texturized -> texlaxed?

Back