Anyone read Shamboosie's book Beautiful Black Hair

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Anyone read Shamboosie\'s book Beautiful Black Hair

I picked up this book because I am still doing my research on growing my hair. I just finished his book. I am not quite sure what to think. I read it because it was on the book list but I was sorta surprised that it was put there because he has no respect for forums like this. He says "people are passing on wacky remedies and sharing homemade concoctions thinking they are helping each other." He goes on to say "don't be fooled into using that stuff on your hair, you could end up as bald as I am." I wanted to take the book back after reading that but I bought it so I finished reading it. I was stunned that this book could be used as a reference because he says that it is possible to heat style your hair everyday without damage. Anyone else read this book and come away with the same disastified feeling?

Re: Anyone read Shamboosie\'s book Beautiful Black

I read it and was similarly unimpressed. I did think he had a very good section on the proper application of a relaxer. For that reason, I gave the book to my stylist.
grin.gif
Actually, she's been impressed w/my hair growth over the past year and a half and wants to know what I'm using, eating, reading, etc., which I think is nice. I'm eager to share all w/her.

luckily I got it in my local library. I found a few interesting tips like using lye relaxers and washing at least 1 once a week. other then that it was nothing special.
and that comment about internet forums really made me
mad.gif

It was okay. I have this book. Nothing really groundbreaking in telling us things alot of us know already. I just didn't like the whole 'sponsored by Nexxus products' feeling that ran through the entire book.

I picked it up at the library too. No big deal, at least he suggested products. I read others worst than that.

[ QUOTE ]
brownrelaxedhair said:
It was okay. I have this book. Nothing really groundbreaking in telling us things alot of us know already. I just didn't like the whole 'sponsored by Nexxus products' feeling that ran through the entire book.

[/ QUOTE ]
DITTO... and Dudley products whose prices are outrageous... And I don't agree with him when he says that you should buy the most expensive products you can find. There are alot of average priced products that are just effective.
Don't get me wrong our hair deserves the best of the best!
laugh.gif

Denali03, I also agree about buying the most expensive. That should've been changed to read buying the best quality products for our hair which aren't always the most expensive ones as we all know.

I agree that there were a few sections I found interesting but all in all I was not impressed. He disputes that vitamins and supplements work on hair growth, he obviously hadn't done any research in that area. I found the Black Woman's Guide to Beautiful Hair a bit more informing.

I bought the book and wasn't too impressed either. Some of the hairstyles he featured looked outdated. Not bad information though. I did learn about color and relaxers and different curling techniques. I did find some of his ideas a little strange though. And it did seem like he was trying to sell the Nexus products or the magic formula as he calls it a little too much.

I heard that the book was really written by a bunch of stylists and not just one person.

My husband also made the comment that he maybe a stylist for black women but he will never be a black woman. Meaning that all the research and experimenting in the world will give him insight but never first hand knowledge. I told him too bad he didn't say that before HE paid for the book!
ohwell.gif

Basically I waited a long time to get this book because it was backordered. When I finally got it I read it in one night. I did not learn anything new that I did not already know about by hair. It really did nothing for me. I hate the fact that he call nexuss humectress the magic potion. I used to use nexuss products in the early nineties and it did nothing for my hair but make it drier. This book was just not for me which is why I am selling to it to one of the ladies on this board.

I was gonna buy this last nite and I passed it up. I'm glad you brought it up.

Back