Anyone notice thinner hair as you gained length?

HoneyDew

Ok guys, I need some advice, help, suggestions, encouragement, whatever!!

See my avatar picture? That was in March.

I was very happy with my hair at the time. It was doing very well.

Well, I killed my progress in April when I OD'ed on the blowdryer comb attachment. It was my first time using a comb attachment - I was addicted after the 1st use.

Any who, I stopped when I noticed damage. My hair was already in very uneven layers but it got worse after the blowdryer incidents.

Meanwhile, my hair has been growing pretty fast. The back is now past my shoulders even with the aggressive trimming I've been doing.(the sides and front are still trying to catch up so I am not calling it shoulder length yet.) And these layers are still killing me.

I am happy about my growth, but I honestly preferred the condition of my hair when I took that picture in my avatar. My hair is not as thick and full now.

Could it be a result of the blowdryer damage becoming more noticeable now that I have more length? Could it just be the problem with the very uneven layers?

I know it is hard for you guys to determine my specific problem, but have any of you ever noticed thinner hair after setbacks as you still gained length?

Whatever it is, I need my thickness back. The longer parts seem more delicate than the rest of my hair.

I feel tempted to cut it, but I have worked so hard for this growth! :ohwell:

Yes, Yes, Yes. That's why my hair is armpit length now :perplexed .
But it's thick again.

I don't have solution for this problem.

Waiting for responses too.

Then it feels like your getting no where.

I dunno, maybe everybodys hair gets thinner as it grows. Even the other races ya know?

dannie_19 said:
Then it feels like your getting no where.

I dunno, maybe everybodys hair gets thinner as it grows. Even the other races ya know?

I guess you are right about that.

I just gave my Bf a hair cut. He has long hair that he wears in a ponytail. It was almost "bra-strap" length, if I can use that term for a guy. I cut about 4 inches off and his hair looks so much thicker and nicer now.

If my hair was that long I would not mind cutting for thickness, but at this point I am trying to hang on to every inch! :)

I guess I better settle in with some protective styling for a while!

Yes. I'm noticing that.

I joined LHCF last October. The hair before then is simply not as thick as the new hair I've been growing under good care ever since.

So, while I could have brastrap sooner (like in fall). I've been cutting and cutting lately.

I'm resigned to trim with each relaxer (every 7 weeks) through December. Long hair is no fun if it's thin.

It's stupid for me to pursue length first. So recently I decided to go for thickness through December, then reduce the trimming. But I believe trimming regularly will give me the thick ends I want.

Before I cut, I spent too much time blending my hair in the back to assure no gaps and keep it looking full. :(

No more! I'd rather cut even if it means my hair is the same length for a while.

ETA: eventually I think I'll chop off all the hair I had before LHCF (over time). Hopefully I can be brastrap by this time next year.

Last edited:
My hair is approx. APL, and it was much thinner when I was using a blowdryer. When I stopped using the blowdryer, and started consistently air drying and rollersetting, it got a lot thicker. I thought relaxing was making my hair thinner, but now I know it was the blowdryer. I went from having v-shaped hair to U-shaped, without cutting. I don't think longer hair necessarily has to get thinner, but I think blowdryers can eventually cause major problems.

I NOTICE THAT WHEN I GET 7 WEEKS POST RELAXER, MY HAIR STARTS TO LOOK REAL THIN. I THINK IT'S THE CONTRAST BETWEEN THE NEW GROWTH AND RELAXED HAIR. I HATE THAT.

Princess Pie said:
My hair is approx. APL, and it was much thinner when I was using a blowdryer. When I stopped using the blowdryer, and started consistently air drying and rollersetting, it got a lot thicker. I thought relaxing was making my hair thinner, but now I know it was the blowdryer. I went from having v-shaped hair to U-shaped, without cutting. I don't think longer hair necessarily has to get thinner, but I think blowdryers can eventually cause major problems.

This seems like a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyway..When you airdry your hair how do you do it? And what do you put on it? I tried airdrying before and I looked a mess and it was tangled all over

I have layers and really pamper my longest layers for this reason. Like mommatide, my hair tends to act up too at 7 weeks post - it start looking really stringy.

I would not be surprised if it is the blow dryer that is doing the damage - do you experience a lot of breakage when blowing?

mommatide said:
I NOTICE THAT WHEN I GET 7 WEEKS POST RELAXER, MY HAIR STARTS TO LOOK REAL THIN. I THINK IT'S THE CONTRAST BETWEEN THE NEW GROWTH AND RELAXED HAIR. I HATE THAT.

And I thought it was just me. I find this happens 12 weeks post relaxer for me.

I used to panic until I realized that's what it was.

Also, another poster here uses a blow dryer weekly with good results. Maybe damage can be prevented, it likely depends on the regimen.

Jay said:
This seems like a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyway..When you airdry your hair how do you do it? And what do you put on it? I tried airdrying before and I looked a mess and it was tangled all over

I just detangle in the shower, squeeze out the excess water, apply leave-ins, part my hair (either middle or side part), and leave it alone for a while. Certain leave-ins are better than others at reducing frizz, and a conditioner with good slip is helpful for tangles. KeraCare, Kenra, and ORS products work well for me. When my hair is 75% dry I comb through it, which helps straighten it out. I CANNOT do the ponytail air drying thing, because it takes too long to dry and I look ugly with my hair back:ohwell: When it's dry, in about 1.5-2 hours, I style it as usual.

Air drying has made a huge difference in the thickness of my hair. I wish I had before and after pics. The blowdryer (especially the comb attachment) was ruining my hair. I thought my hair natually grew in a V shape, which I didn't mind, but then my sides started to get thicker and longer. All of the gaps and spaces in my hair are gone. Now that my hair is thicker, I'm hoping it starts to get longer.

I have noticed this :eek: and thats why i keep trimming darnit LOL,, thats why im on a No trim till 2007 challenge,, plus my ends are relaxeed and the top isnt so it really looks weird

Princess Pie said:
ITA. :yep: The blowdryer was the culprit for me too before LHCF (I used the comb attachment). After I threw it out and started airdrying/rollersetting, my hair started getting thicker before getting longer as the health was being restored. I don't think blowdrying and relaxed hair goes together, at least not for me.

ETA: I don't believe my hair is getting thinner as it gets longer.

Last edited:
Isis said:
ITA. :yep: The blowdryer was the culprit for me too before LHCF (I used the comb attachment). After I threw it out and started airdrying/rollersetting, my hair started getting thicker before getting longer as the health was being restored. I don't think blowdrying and relaxed hair goes together, at least not for me.

ETA: I don't believe my hair is getting thinner as it gets longer.

Isis, I totally feel you. I think the blowdryer was the cause of my thinness. I want to totally give it up but it works so well and it's like a bad relationship. I told my sis she can store it at her house.

I want to give it up so bad!:mad: :(

I've got to agree with everyone:) I know my pre LHCF hair is thinner and needs to be cut. Fortunately I love the french twist and it hides the scragglies. I also have some other updos to tide me over until I'm ready to cut. I did trim off 2 in a mo ago and there were no splits:grin:

MizaniMami said:
Isis, I totally feel you. I think the blowdryer was the cause of my thinness. I want to totally give it up but it works so well and it's like a bad relationship. I told my sis she can store it at her house.

You're right MizaniMami, it is like a bad relationship. I thought I had to use a blowdryer and I was loving it but it was hurting my hair. I just took that leap and learned how to airdry in a rollerset for the same smoothness and straightness.

Isis said:
You're right MizaniMami, it is like a bad relationship. I thought I had to use a blowdryer and I was loving it but it was hurting my hair. I just took that leap and learned how to airdry in a rollerset for the same smoothness and straightness.

I think you have inspired me. I think I may take this leap, wish me luck!

SerenityBreeze said:
I have layers and really pamper my longest layers for this reason. Like mommatide, my hair tends to act up too at 7 weeks post - it start looking really stringy.

I would not be surprised if it is the blow dryer that is doing the damage - do you experience a lot of breakage when blowing?

I did when i was using that comb attachment. That is what did it, i know. I have stopped that and my hair seems to back in the thrive mode, but I can see that my longer layers are thinner and so delicate.

By thinning do you mean the strands decrease in diameter? I don't believe this is the case for me. It's just that breakage is clearly more obvious at the ends on long hair. Because the ends are the oldest part of the hair it's very important to try to protect them to keep them thick. I've had to cut off a lot of damage but maintaining thickness is all about decreasing breakage and cutting off damage. Do you notice a lot of breakage?

MizaniMami said:

same here. I really want to give it up totally,but it has been hard.

I am better, though. even before I made things worse by trying the comb attachment, I was using it on HIGH.

Now i use the Low setting w/o the attachment and i don't use it the entire time.

I blow a little w/o touching my hair at all. After a couple of min. i stop and comb it out and let the dryer cool for a min. or so. I do this until it is almost dry and then let it finish by airdrying.

i did my mom's hair last night and she could not stand that I was doing that to her. She just insisted that i crank it up to HIGH because her hair "never drys on the setting", as she said. i told her to just chill because it was better, but i see now that she has been using that thing on HIGH this entire time. I have learned my lesson about that.

But, for now, i cannot give it up totally. I don't have time, #1, but it also makes my hair softer and easier to manage.

Princess Pie said:

Good point! Then maybe that is what my problem is. I have been a blowdryer addict for years and finally decided to put it down. Last week I did my first rollerset on mesh rollers and loved the results. I am on a no trim challenge with some of the other ladies until 2007, so I will see how my hair is then. I pray I see a big difference, if not, 2 or 3 inches will definitely have to go. No thin ends!!!

In the past I've noticed it a little but now it seems to be thickening up. Before I was not to keen on wearing my hair down because it looked too thin for my liking on the ends but now it seems much thicker. I've had to look at it as a phase in my hair growth journey.

MizAvalon said:
Ladies that are noticing the thinner hair, how often are you blowdrying?
I was using the blowdryer weekly, then I cut it down to every other week. I still felt it was damaging my hair, so I tried using it monthly and then just a week before relaxing. No matter how infrequently I used it, I noticed a difference in my hair. I'm not saying I will never blowdry my hair, but it will be rare- like once every year or two. I just think my relaxed hair doesn't mix with blowdrying, because it makes it thinner and drier.

Back