anyone NOT using extentions to grow their hair out?

Penspringz

Just curious. How is your hair doing?

I used to be on the mind set that I had to put my hair in a weave or braids in order to get/see any growth in my hair. I have now decided that even though my hair is no-where near where I want it to be, I'm going to see how it does without any extentions.
So far I have gone about 2 months without any exentions but my hair seems to be the same length if not shorter! :nono:

I am currently trying to grow out my hair without the use of extensions. I am going to do the Crown and Glory Challenge however, I will braid my natural hair. Right now, I have about 2-4 inches of hair that I put in individual plaits. I will re-braid my hair once per month and shampoo/deep condition once or twice per week. I think that I can grow my hair out without extensions but it will just take a little more attention than I am use to giving to my hair.

I wish I could retain without weaves or braids, but it hasn't worked out too well for me yet. Maybe when my hair is long enough for a bun or a cute braid out or something I will try it again.

Just curious. How is your hair doing?

I used to be on the mind set that I had to put my hair in a weave or braids in order to get/see any growth in my hair. I have now decided that even though my hair is no-where near where I want it to be, I'm going to see how it does without any extentions.
So far I have gone about 2 months without any exentions but my hair seems to be the same length if not shorter! :nono:

I am growing my hair without extensions and this is a FIRST for me!!!! I made the decision to do this because of my thin edges from years and years of braiding and NOT treating my hair properly while in braids. I am five months post and still growing. I haven't experienced much breaking, so I am guessing that I am retaining a good amount of my gowth--this is thanks to always pinning my hair up for work. Be patient you will see the hair growth eventually. How do you know your hair is shorter...are you measuring? Also, maybe you need a growth aide to help your growth along, have to considered MT or OCT?

Just moisturize well, DC, Co-wash, and protect..you'll get there girl!

My hair is growing just fine w/o any extensions. I had braids put in in November 07 but I haven't had to get anymore. I have never been real particular about weaves. I just wasn't going to put that glue gunk in my hair. I was bald ok I'm exaggerating but it was so short that I couldn't do anything but wear wigs to hide the damage. Now it has grown out. See siggy. I just follow my reggie and I chose to wear wigs constantly. I can bun now but I just don't want to. I love the versitility of wearing wigs. Good Luck

Me! Even stretched for 5 months w/o extensions :grin: Although I've never worn weaves in the first place

If your hair appears shorter, it could just be shrinkage of the new growth. It is definitely possible to grow your hair without extensions. You just have to moisturize, cut back on heat styling, and do low manipulation styles. Deep conditioning and scalp massages also help.

My two first years as a natural I did it w/o extensions, but for winter '09 I'm thinkin' about getting human hair braids for 3 mths. I hope to gain&retain more length that way...

I'm not. I have been there and done that. Braids to' up my edges. Sew-ins are too high maintenance for me. Now I am using protective styling to grow my hair out. The next time I get some fake hair it will be clip in extensions or a lace front.

I used to wear braids to grow out my hair, but my poor edges just can't take it anymore. So I wear out my hair most of the time. But I must confess I wore a weave for a month during my last four month stretch, it was a cute short curly weave.

I have definitely seen the difference. I find it harder to keep my hair moisturized while in extensions so I prefer not to use them. I do mostly buns, braid outs, twist outs, wash and gos, and when I can't take it anymore, I wear a fall wig.

Tell us about your regimen, so we can figure out why its not working for you, How often do you wash, DC, moisturize seal, Do you sleep with a silk/satin scarf?

I am growing my hair w/o extensions (the last time I had kinky twists was almost 2 years ago). I wear buns a lot, but sometimes I straighten or wear a wash n go. So far I am still retaining and even gaining length, so it definitely can be done. I just pay careful attention to my ends.

I am also growing my hair without extentions. Extensions were too damaging for my edges so I had to stop. I haven't used extensions since May 2007 and my hair is still growing. I am thinking of using growth aids in 2009 to get faster growth though.

If your hair appears shorter, it could just be shrinkage of the new growth. It is definitely possible to grow your hair without extensions. You just have to moisturize, cut back on heat styling, and do low manipulation styles. Deep conditioning and scalp massages also help.

This is exactly what I have been doing for the last 6 months. My siggy is pretty much how I wear my hair all the time. Either a puff or a banana clip, lots of dc's, no heat at all. My number 1 goal is: NO SET BACKS!

I did use weaves (for the first time in my life) for the last year prior to these 6 months because I had bc'd and started over before in the past and I knew I didn't want short hair. I wanted at least enough hair for a decent ponytail.

I do have some beautiful curly hair that I never installed though. It is my dream hair so I am making it into a half wig so I can wear it or sew it in for awhile when I get tired of doing my own hair. I don't know if I will be able to talk myself back into fake hair though

Last edited:
I've never worn extensions for the purpose of growing my hair. I've only really had them in once that I can remember. Senior year I had glue in tracks for prom and then for about an additional month and a half - about 2 months total.

MY hair grows just fine. I always low mani and protective style often though, and use a lot of protein, though I'm cutting back.

Back