Anyone have their own home salon?

Ladybelle

I'm thinking about setting up a mini-salon in my house for me & my girls to do our hair. Has anyone done this?

I'm stumped on where to begin. I know I can get a few pieces of equipment from ebay.

I'm also thinking about finding one of those pedi chairs at a deeply discounted price. :giggle: That would be so wonderful.

Any suggestions or design ideas? I guess I'd use a spare bedroom or maybe the basement.

I use part of my basement as my hair salon. I have my standing Steamer, Hair dryer and all of the hair products there.

In my husband's opinion that's what I am headed for. LOL When we move to our new house (praying), I am planning to utilize a room in the basement for this. I don't know that I will get a chair and all that setup but it sounds fun!

I use part of my basement as my hair salon. I have my standing Steamer, Hair dryer and all of the hair products there.

Any particular design you use? Do you have it set up like a salon? I've been searching the internet for reasonable design ideas because I want mine to be a salon like experience with a nice ambiance.:grin:

In my husband's opinion that's what I am headed for. LOL When we move to our new house (praying), I am planning to utilize a room in the basement for this. I don't know that I will get a chair and all that setup but it sounds fun!

I saw a chair on ebay for only $40.00 which is the only way I'd buy one -for cheap. It does sound fun! I haven't moved into my house yet, but I'm planning every room already.I'm praying with you & that it happens sooner rather than later.

I currently use a part of my basement for this BUT
I am in the process of moving these items into my "office".

I need a mirror and storage space mainly, plus outlets and a chair. I have a steamer and dryer. My room also has a TV and comfy chair so its perfect, plus its NEXT to the bathroom.

Don't speak defeat does, but it s her business too, but it looks awesome. Check out her Fotki.

When I have a family, it will be a must have. My kids will know how to care for hair.

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I wish I had an extra room designated just for hair care, that would be awesom! And it wouldnt even only be used by myself, my man cuts his own hair and our sons hair so we could all use it. Note to self: Look for a bigger place so I can have a hair room :)

Look for used chairs at flea markets or newspaper for salon selling one, the base are heavy and may cost to ship, you can also buy from Sally's. I use a shampoo board for home health care.

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea and besides ebay you might finds stuff on craigslist. Just be mindful of the energy you use like electricity. I used to have my friends over to do their hair but my electric bill doubled because I had so many things running like the sit-down hair dryer and flat iron.

I can't wait to have a home. I will def have an in-home salon fitted with everything especially with a shampoo bowl or a deep basin.

Yes, I had one for years! If it is going to be within a room, then I would say you purchase a room divider (or make one) to section off your area. I hung a mirror, purchased a stylist cart, stylist chair, and a shampoo tray with a hose. I use the shampoo tray and hose in the kitchen, but the transition to the stylist chair was more salon. There are also portable standing shampoo bowls you can purchase at http://salon.wimexbeauty.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=1098 for a small fee. You can buy some shelves from craigslist or a stylist station for a really good price too. Also, if you will be styling for a while, you can buy a stylist mat to stand on. They sell hair appliance stands on Ebay too. I got one personally made with wood and metal for like $15. Hope this helps!

Oh Yeah, a shampoo board looks like this and can be purchased at Sallys.

SBS-205070

Last edited:
I'm thinking about setting up a mini-salon in my house for me & my girls to do our hair. Has anyone done this?

I'm stumped on where to begin. I know I can get a few pieces of equipment from ebay.

I'm also thinking about finding one of those pedi chairs at a deeply discounted price. :giggle: That would be so wonderful.

Any suggestions or design ideas? I guess I'd use a spare bedroom or maybe the basement.

I do! I went on Craig's List and I bought myself a Pibbs for $75 bucks
I also have a steamer, a bag of rollers, I have a CHI flatiron, a blowdryer, and of course my hair products

My DD and I do our hair every week at the house. Sometimes relatives and/or friends come over and I do their hair for FREE :nono: LOL :lachen:
I save lots of money because I own all these things. I didn't buy everything all at once, instead I bought things little by little during sales and built my evil empire :grin: I have everything hidden in my living room.

Right you can get a steamer for a nice price too. I purchased mine from Salon's R Us for like $99. It is worth it. I have had it for three years and still works like a charm!

It's amazing that I never thought of this with all the products that I have lol. We don't have a house but all my products are all over the place, I'll definitely look into this when we own our place. I have a Pibbs, my flat iron,curling iron, products, I need one stylist cart and a big mirror.
My hairdresser works from home and has a small salon in her basement. She has a hood dryer with chair attached, mirrors so you can see the front and the back of your head while she is working, a counter, a cart for rollers,blow dryer and flat iron, two sinks, shelves for towels,magazines,stereo for her bachatas and merengues while she works :) and a calendar for appointments.

I do! I went on Craig's List and I bought myself a Pibbs for $75 bucks
I also have a steamer, a bag of rollers, I have a CHI flatiron, a blowdryer, and of course my hair products

My DD and I do our hair every week at the house. Sometimes relatives and/or friends come over and I do their hair for FREE :nono: LOL :lachen:
I save lots of money because I own all these things. I didn't buy everything all at once, instead I bought things little by little during sales and built my evil empire :grin: I have everything hidden in my living room.

Thanks for sharing, you gave me some more ideas. I wish I would run across a pibbs for $75! Buying a little at a time makes much more sense economically.

It's amazing that I never thought of this with all the products that I have lol. We don't have a house but all my products are all over the place, I'll definitely look into this when we own our place. I have a Pibbs, my flat iron,curling iron, products, I need one stylist cart and a big mirror.
My hairdresser works from home and has a small salon in her basement. She has a hood dryer with chair attached, mirrors so you can see the front and the back of your head while she is working, a counter, a cart for rollers,blow dryer and flat iron, two sinks, shelves for towels,magazines,stereo for her bachatas and merengues while she works :) and a calendar for appointments.

Exactly! You already own a salon really, why not make it official with a room dedicated to the services you provide to yourself. :)

I thought about doing something simple like this in addition to the equipment:

home.gif

Or this: Something simple, just want it to have the salon feel to it though.

home_salon.jpg

Back