Anyone ever used apricot kernal oil?

Jenai

I finally got up enough nerve to call my local natural foods store to see if they have any health and beauty aids. Guess what? They do!!! Shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and clays. They said they usually carry a variety of oils including virgin coconut oil, sweet almond oil, and apricot kernal oil. Plus, they can special order items! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was told that apricot kernal oil was a good massage oil, but the clerk did not know if it should be used in the hair. Has anyone used this stuff before?

yes, i've used it. it's comparable to sweet almond oil, if you've used that. it's a little lighter than jojoba oil and usually less expensive. i like it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Adrienne, does it have any benefits or is it good as a general moisturiser for the hair/scalp?

Also does it smell like apricot.

Re: Anyone ever used apricot kernel oil?

Thanks for the info, Adrienne. I tried to do a search for some info, but nothing turned up on the board. This is what I could find out on the net:

Use as a cosmetic oil or cosmetic ingredient for softening and moisturizing. This 100% pure oil is also excellent used as a salad dressing and dietary oil. After washing your face, massage three to five drops of apricot oil onto your face. Pay particular attention to the area around your eyes. It will soften lines and bring a glow to your complexion. Use apricot oil as an all-over body moisturizer or as a base for your favorite essential oil. Work several drops between your palms and then massage onto your skin. Apricot oil soothes inflammation and has a high vitamin A content. Apricot oil softens the hair perhaps better than any oil, plus it adds radiance. Use apricot oil as a hot oil hair treatment.

It is always better to get someone's personal opinion on an oil instead of some online store's description. Did you use it as a leave in hair oil since it so light like jojoba or did you use it as a hot oil treatment? Thanks again.

I read somewhere that apricot kernel amino acids are able to penetrate the hair shaft really well. I have some also and several products with it as well. HTH.

Hi all, Excuse me for butting in, Adrienne I love your pics can you please post your regime. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Penetrate the hair shaft? WOW! This sounds like something to try. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now Supergirl you know you cannot just say you have the stuff without giving us a full review. How are all of us PJs going to feed our growing habits? /images/graemlins/wink.gif Seriously, how did you use it? Did you like it and what does it smell like?

Well, let's see here...It smells like your other oils. I was expecting it to smell like apricots, but no it doesn't. I like to use it on the ends of my wet hair to keep them smooth while air drying. It does the job. It's a very slick feeling oil, if that makes sense. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gigi, i used it primarily as a hot oil treatment. oh, and i also used it in my braid mix way back when. i don't generally use any oils on my hair when i wear it down.... that's a problem too. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

londondiva, i think the benefits are about the same as other oils as far as moisture. it doesn't really have a noticeable smell. i find that the EOs have distinct smells moreso than the carrier oils.

supergirl, i'll have to try that trick of using it on my ends when i air dry. i'm trying to find a way to air dry straight. do you use the carolyn gray method? it didn't work for me when i tried last week.

hey, how come no one has their email address on their profile? briesmom, i would have emailed my regime to you so as not to hijack this thread. anyway, i'll post here...
augen13.gif

adrienne

------------------------------

ADRIENNE’S REGIME

In my opinion, these are the two most important rules to achieving your goals:

1. Find the products that are right for your hair, and stop switching to other stuff when someone recommends things.

2. Leave your hair alone as much as possible. This was more important than the first for me. I used to blow dry and curl my hair twice a week. After I got braids and did nothing, that's when it grew. They're not for everybody, but if you can sport them, I highly recommend it.

My hair policy is "less is more"... less manipulation... less heat... less product switching... I put different stuff on my hair depending on how I’m wearing it. So I’ll list it separately. Basically, I’ve been washing my hair once a week. If my scalp is itching bad, I’ll either rinse and condition or wash again depending on why it's itching (dandruff vs. sweaty). I wear my hair up 90% of the time. I think this has helped keep my ends from thinning too much.

UPDO:
- Wash with KeraCare Hydrating Detangling and prescription-strength Nizoral shampoo. I let the Nizoral sit for at least five minutes because of my problem scalp. I now alternate between Elucence Moisture Benefits and KeraCare Hydrating Detangling shampoo.

- Condition with KeraCare Humecto Cream conditioner. Every other week, I do a protein conditioning with Aubrey GPB.

- Apply Kiehl’s leave-in and finger comb. Then spray with S-Curl No Drop Activator to comb into ponytail. I smooth it down with a mixture of 1/2 World of Curls Activator and 1/2 Let's Jam gel.

- For the bun: I put Vaseline on my ends, and braid the hair. I tuck it under, wrap a baggie over it. Then I cover it with a cut-off stocking. I put the drawstring ponytail over the stocking and put two scrunchies around it.

- Wrap head at night with silk or satin scarf.

DOWN:
- Wash and condition same as above

- Apply Kiehl’s leave-in and finger comb. Then I work a small amount of Breakthru Heat Style Protecting Foam through my hair. I blow dry on a medium setting. Then I curl or flat iron on 7 or 8 setting. I usually roll it as I go to get the hair out of my way. After I’m finished curling, and before I comb it, I ALWAYS spray some kind of sheen on (right now, it's KeraCare) and rub Avon Dry Ends Serum through it. Both of these products prevent breakage from static. The Avon stuff also smells great! I recently started using Kiehl’s Crème with Silk Groom in place of either of the other products. I always use two of them though. Lol!

- I now wrap my hair every night, and use the Caruso rollers in the morning. I LOVE those things! I put both the KeraCare sheen and Avon Serum on before I comb it in the morning.

TRIMS:
- Never on a schedule, only when needed

RELAXER:
- Affirm Lye every 4 months

VITAMINS:
- Central Vite Multi Vitamin (1/ day)
- Nature's Bounty C & E, 500mg of each Combo (1/ day)
- Natrol Vegetal Silica (1/ day)
- Country Life Biotin, 5mg (1/ day)
- Trimedica MSM capsule (1000mg, 2-3/day)
- Vitamin Shoppe Evening Primrose Oil, 1300mg (1/day)
- Vitamin Shoppe Pantothenic Acid (B5), 500mg (1/day)

That's about it...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

In response to
Poster: BRIESMOM
Subject: Re: Anyone ever used apricot kernal oil?

Hi all, Excuse me for butting in, Adrienne I love your pics can you please post your regime. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Briesmom and welcome to the board!

Check out the first page of this thread:
WOW @ Adrienne!!!

Adrienne discusses her routine throughout the entire thread but she summarizes the main points on the first page. It's a good read! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Adrienne, if you've changed anything, let us know! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LOL!! you know me, svt!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks for posting that thread though because it does go into detail. i don't think much has changed except maybe adding a couple of styling products. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

GIGI,

Probably the best apricot kernal oil I have used was from Mountain Rose Herbs Apricot kernal to me is akin to grapeseed oil which is very light, much lighter than almond. However, this is an oil I gave another chance. The first I used felt almost gummy. I bought at a local healthfood store. The Mountain Rose Herbs was utterly divine . It was odorless, but spread and absorbed incredibly fast. BUT, I purchased for a facial massage. It's wonderful for that...it and lemon or lemon verbena essential are wonderful for oily skin. For my hair, it is just too light. However, I think that if you are the kind of person who is a bit heavy-handed with oils, this or grapeseed might be a good choice. You could slather and would have a hard time having a greasy mess.

Happy Exploring,

Jade

Thanks for all the personal experiences on this oil. I was hoping that it would smell like apricots though - /images/graemlins/mad.gif. I think that I will try the oil out next time I need to replenish my hair products.

Jade, how did you know I was heavy handed? LOL I already made the mistake of using too much vrigin coconut oil.

Again, thanks ladies.

Back