Anyone DC with oil only?

yodie

I just started the oil cleansing method and so far, so GREAT. My skin loves it. So, I started thinking that my hair might too.

If you dc with oil, tell us about it.

What oil(s) do you use?
Have you noticed a difference (better, same or don't know yet)?
Do you add heat or steam?
Do you apply oil to wet or dry hair?

Thanks for sharing

Nina Pruitt from hairlista only DCs with coconut oil. I think she's on youtube by that name. She's had great results and she's been doing it all year and is nearly or at 1 year into her transition. I used to do it (coconut and evoo) before I got to 5 months post and my hair remained strong and soft but after 5 months, it didn't cut it for detangling anymore so I stopped. But my plan is to only DC with oils when I become fully natural since it will be easier to detangle then. I did not use heat, I just left it on overnight with a self-heating cap or whatever they're called. And I applied it to dry hair.

I prepoo with oil only (coconut oil) if that counts.

I did DC with oil only for a short time. However I ended up breaking out a lot on my forehead, etc. Maybe I'll try it again one day.

She's pretty. Per the video below this is simply her pre-poo treatment. I think the OP was about using oil as a DC with no further conditioner.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ninapruitt#p/u/12/dznQ6XVgCRE

Thanks for posting the link to the video. She uses the coconut oil as both a pre-poo and a DC. This is her regimen from her hairlista page and was updated June 14th:

My Healthy Hair Regimen
-Cleanse Hair 1-2x/Week with Dr. Bronners Mild Baby Formula
-Moisturizing/Strengthening Treatment 1x/wk - Dcing w/ EVCO & saran wrap under hooded dry or will use Hair Therapy Wrap for 20 mins
-Hot Oil Scalp Treatment 1x/wk - Coconut Oil (combo w/ Evco Dcing Tx)
-Lightly Moisturize/Seal Nightly
-Relax every 12-14 weeks ~ Transitioning

Products I Use

Hair Cleanser
- Dr. Bronner's Mild Baby Formula (diluted w/Aloe Vera Juice 1:1)

Moisturizing Conditioner
-Dr. Bronners Organic Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse (review coming soon)
-TRESsemme Moisture Rich
- Hair One Tree Tea
- Herbal Essence Hello Hydration
- Aussie 3 min Miracle

PrePoo Treatment
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Moisture/Strengthening Treatment
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Dcing under hooded dryer for 20mins

Leave-In Conditioner
-Dr. Bronners Organic Hair Creme Lavender Coconut (review coming soon)
-Silken Child Detangling Spray
- Fantasia IC Leave Moisturizer Hair & Scalp Treatment

Heat Protectant
- Eden Allure Argan Oil ~
- One 'n Only Argan Oil

Moisturizer
- Unrefined Shea Butter whipped w/ EVCO, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil,Aloe Vera Juice (Hydrating Moisturizer for Thick Hair, Curly Hair, Dry Edges & Nape Area)
- Fantasia IC Leave Moisturizer Hair & Scalp Treatment (Light moisturizer for Straight Styles)
- Silk Elements Silken Child (Light moisturizer for Braidouts & Bantu Knots)

Sealant
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Staple)

Scalp Treatment
- Spritz Clean Scalp w/Aloe Vera Juice ~ Helps Reduce Shedding & Softens NG

Detangling Spray
-Lily of Desert Aloe Vera Juice (whole leaf)

Mixing Oils (deep conditioning, hot oil treatment, prepooing)
- Avocado Oil
- Jojobo Oil
- EVCO
- EVOO

Detangling & Air Drying Products
-Aloe Vera Juice (on scalp & new growth)
-Dr. Bronners Organic Hair Creme Lavender Coconut
-Argan Oil
-Rake Comb (I Love This Comb)

She also started a coconut oil challenge on hairlista where they were only supposed to pre-poo and DC with coconut oil. I never checked for the results but there's one currently going on. I'll check when I get off work.

Thanks for all the replies ladies. Yep, I meant only use oil as a DC. I think I'm gonna try this and see what happens.

Keep the comments coming.

ive tried it before, but it seemed like it was taking forever to get all of that oil out of my hair since oil and water dont mix. i wouldnt do it again.

I was just about to mention NinaPruit. I tried it a few time and liked the results, but It's not something I would do without DC with my staple conditioners regularly.

lately i've just been heating up the oil and applying to my hair, then wash/co-wash

i figure it as a hot oil treatment/prepoo. actual dc's (with either dry heat or steam) don't soften my hair as much as a HOT

Back