Anyone blow dry straight and NOT use a flatiron after?

Luscious Locks

I was thinking of styling my hair straight soon, and was wondering if any of you ladies get good straightening results from using just a blowdry and brush (round, paddle, or other) and NOT following up with the a flatiron. I just want to keep the heat to a minimum and still look good.

So tell me, is it possible?

TIA

I am mostly relaxed bone straight; I texlaxed my roots recently and I have blown out my hair a few times and get a decent result. I think the trick is to pull the hair straight and angle the blower downard to flatten the cuticle. The only time I blow dry is after a roller set and I make sure to spray on a heat protectant. If my roots puff up, I'll lightly mist my hair with water, conditioner and an oil, then wrap my hair or put it in a pony tail then rap a satin scarf around it. My hair is very flat and straight this way.

I think I recall recently seeing that Sylver2 blew her hair dry using Sabino Moisture Block and got really good results. I think it was in the Relaxer Stretchers thread....

The products used to blowdry really do make a difference. Length and relaxed/natural might make a difference as well. sorry I don't know more about your hair to be truly helpful...but it can be done.

Sylver2 did it really well...

cj

yes absolutely! But just have to be realistic....like you can't expect to rock a silk wrap. It works great if you are going for a curly look of some sort. I love to wear it curly/full and it has lots of body! after blowdrying, try either a caruso rollerset, or using a few sponge rollers overnite. or a braidout.

Stylists have always been able to do this for me but I've never been able to pull it off on myself. So I know it's possible, I'm just personally not coordinated enough.

After my touch-up my hairdresser blow drys my hair and that's it. I won't let her use the marcel irons on my hair anymore to bump the ends because I think it was killing my ends.

I just roll it up with a couple of flexi rods when I get home.

I had my hair blowdried for the first time in a couple of years but it was NOT silky straight and nor did I want that since I'm so scared of heat damage. I actually liked it big too! I'm not relaxed.

i do this sometimes. i blowdry with a round brush to get it good and straight. also the products i use make a big difference. i used john frieda frizz ease on wet hair and sabino on wet hair. then blow dried. it got it pretty straight. i tie it up and next day its smooth, silky, straight w/o the flat iron.

I am thinking of doing this! I like the way my hair looks more after I just blow dry it and how much swang it has. I may try just blow drying only.

I am 10 months post and my hair get pretty straight with the blow dryer using the tension method. After it's about 90% dry, I use a wide tooth comb or brush and blow dry for a few seconds. Once I am fully natural, I will alternate between blow dry only and flat ironing when I am not wearing my hair in it's natural state.

That's what I want to do when fully natural

I just want big straight hair, not relaxer straight though

It can be done. My stylist can blow-dry my 8 month post hair silky straight with swing and body. It's all about the technique; he targets the roots and the rest follows. I can't do it myself though.

It can be done. My stylist can blow-dry my 8 month post hair silky straight with swing and body. It's all about the technique; he targets the roots and the rest follows. I can't do it myself though.

Same deal with me. I have only had a silky blow dry without anything else from a hairdresser, otherwise, I have to go the Dominican route by rolling my hair then blowing it out to have a silky blow drying experience. For those of you who only have to blowdry for silky, bouncy tresses, care to share techniques?

I want to do this too. I've been transitioning for almost 5 months and I really am not liking how flat twists make me look.:ohwell: I am thinking of being a strait natural. Before I do this, I have to get a better powered blow dryer.:nono:

It's very possible to get the hair nice and a bit sleek without flat ironing afterwards.
what I normally do is blowdry with the pic attachment, and if I don't want to flat iron, you can either use a concentrator on low speed with a paddle or denman brush and get the ends sleek and then wrap, normally putting the mizani h2o does a good job on the ends and once you wrap the hair up the next morning your hair should look nice and sleek, not as sleek as with a flat iron but it will look nice a fluffy with lots of body. that's what normally works for me. give it a try.

sometimes I will cheat and flat iron my ends with my mini linea pro iron the hair just glides right through the iron with no snapping :), hair cheating sometimes is ok lol!

I use a blow-dryer once in a while to make my hair straight. I like how my hair still looks full and has movement. I can put rollers or knots in it to had body to it. I don't like using my maxiglide anymore because it makes my hair flat, stiff, and thin.

I use a blow-dryer once in a while to make my hair straight. I like how my hair still looks full and has movement. I can put rollers or knots in it to had body to it. I don't like using my maxiglide anymore because it makes my hair flat, stiff, and thin.

Doin the bump

I just got great results today. I washed and applied ntm leave in, chi silk infusion, and fhi hot sauce and blow dried. My hair looked great. I wrote a thread early this am frustrated about my hair bc I'd been air drying. I was amazed how great it looked after just blow drying I just put a headband on and headed out. Btw I have the fhi blow dryer if that makes a difference.

I've done it before I got my hands on a flat iron...it always wound up puffy...relatively straight, but puffy and honestly it annoyed me. When I get blowouts at a dominican salon, the blowout is always so light and full of swing and really straight. It could be the blowdryer they use or their technique, but its nothing Ive mastered as of yet and I've definitely upgraded my appliances. I am less particular about how straight I get my hair now though, but honestly, if Im a couple weeks post, I do use my flat iron. I am trying not to though and looking for new methods to get my hair relatively straight (like wet wraps)

Back