Anybody up for a 2009 Crown and Glory Challenge?

I am so happy, I will be getting my braids done in the morning....

I am happy for you sweetie. I know the feeling. I am anxiously counting down the days until I get my braid extensions. I am attempting to stretch for the first time on my own(4 months) and then getting braids for 2 months and giving my hair a break for a month.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of brands are you getting installed?

I am happy for you sweetie. I know the feeling. I am anxiously counting down the days until I get my braid extensions. I am attempting to stretch for the first time on my own(4 months) and then getting braids for 2 months and giving my hair a break for a month.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of brands are you getting installed?
I got micros around the edges and a sew-in in the middle.

hi ladies! I want to join this challenge, but i'm too weak....:look:....only because I know that I won't remain in it, sadly. I usually wander off from challenges this deeply committed. But anyway, I did my own boxbraids two days ago and it took me 26hrs to complete. I will keep them in for two months, but I'm never doing them again. My body hurt in a way I didn't think possible, and this was my second time doing this. I will be checking in from time to time to cheer you all on because I really can't do this for a year. Here are my pics, and good luck ladies!

Attachments

• braids.jpg
    braids.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 17
  • braids2.jpg
    braids2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 20
What do you all think about rebraiding with a deep conditioner on your hair and then rinsing the braids a few days later?

I do this every single time. :yep: I wet the little section of hair, usually with a mix of water and aloe vera juice, then massage in Kenra MC until the hair feels like absolute butter. Then I seal the hair with grease... :yep: yup GREASE! I don't apply the grease to the very top portion of the hair, say the 2 inches closest to my scalp. I don't want the braids to slip out.

Then I braid that section up. I rinse my hair a few days later, and I moisturize frequently. When I take my braids down :lick: my hair is so lush and moist, never dry and crunchy like with braid spray.

Just took twists out after 6 weeks. I've done some 2 strand twist and am going to alternate between that and twistouts for a minute...maybe every week or two.

I just got my box braids back in after being out of them for 3 weeks. I am 7 mos post so I dont think I can go 3 weeks without braids again probably 2 weeks. I am doing this the entire year so I will be 16mos post when i relax. Yes I am going to relax! Next year I will relax 2times (June and Dec) but I think I am going to do the C&G next year too. Probably until I am BSL. This is the easiest way for me to take care of my hair with no damage or set backs.

I just got my box braids back in after being out of them for 3 weeks. I am 7 mos post so I dont think I can go 3 weeks without braids again probably 2 weeks. I am doing this the entire year so I will be 16mos post when i relax. Yes I am going to relax! Next year I will relax 2times (June and Dec) but I think I am going to do the C&G next year too. Probably until I am BSL. This is the easiest way for me to take care of my hair with no damage or set backs.

You and I are thinking along the same lines SouthernStunner. If I am able to get the lady a couple of doors down from me to braid my hair, I will be doing the crown & glory method for 2 years as well. My goal is to be apl by then while going natural at the same time. I plan on trimming an inch of relaxed hair for each inch of natural hair I grow. When I am out of braids, I will just flat iron and cornrow/wig it probably(haven't thought this far ahead yet). Did you get a chance to take pictures of your braid style?

Back in twists after a month and a half...gonna keep these in again for 2 months...then out again...

^^@LadyP...I was thinking about doing it this time around...keeping the dc in...when I did dc before with the twists in, I didn't rinse it out all the way...my hair was feeling divine...so leaving a good moisturizing dc in may prove to be even better

Guys, I am still in the braids I have had since December. I have redone all of them individually, but I haven't let my hair out for the deep conditioning weeks. I do redo my edges fairly frequently.

Do I have to take them out? It took so long to put them in and it was really expensive.

I would say no...I was deep conditioning every week with them in and retwisted them individually every week using the same hair for two months...and my hair was lovely

But after I see that I needed to take it out...monitor for yourself...as long as your conditioning consisently using the right products (I was using something creamy but it didnt leave a residue or film, and if I didnt rinse out all that was ok no build up) you should be fine.

Sounds like your taking care of them really well

(Thinking to myself, I love that conditioner but it soooooo bloody expensive)

I took down my sew-in I had in for 6 weeks on Friday and keeping my hair out for some much neededprotein treatment and deep conditioning for a week or 2. I will be putting in braids after that for about 7-8 weeks and then I'll relax. I will be 9 weeks post my last relaxer tomorrow.

Okay, I am going to take my braids down soon, I promise. I took a few down this weekend and my hair is very weak. Can anyone suggest things I can do before I take the braids down to help strengthen my hair?

I was thinking I would do a few garlic oil treatments to counter shedding? And, maybe do a week of deep conditioning?

Any thoughts?

I would say no...I was deep conditioning every week with them in and retwisted them individually every week using the same hair for two months...and my hair was lovely

But after I see that I needed to take it out...monitor for yourself...as long as your conditioning consisently using the right products (I was using something creamy but it didnt leave a residue or film, and if I didnt rinse out all that was ok no build up) you should be fine.

Sounds like your taking care of them really well

(Thinking to myself, I love that conditioner but it soooooo bloody expensive)

Which conditioner do you use?

Okay, I am going to take my braids down soon, I promise. I took a few down this weekend and my hair is very weak. Can anyone suggest things I can do before I take the braids down to help strengthen my hair?

I was thinking I would do a few garlic oil treatments to counter shedding? And, maybe do a week of deep conditioning?

Any thoughts?
Try spraying Infusium 23 on the braids

BUMP.....
Hows it going ladies?
I have had my braids up for 3 weeks and I want them out.
Yall know I got the 1/2 and 1/2 done. Braids on the outside and sew-in in the middle. Why the track hair that I paid $35 is all matted. Heck the braiding hair that was $19.99 is acting way better.

I guess its time for me to go back to my LF, with my cornrolls underneath.

Last edited:
Okay, so I decided not to put in braids but I did put in cornrows and instead of leaving them in fro 7-8 weeks, I'll keep them in about 5-6 weeks instead at a time.

Ladies, my C&G challenge is going quite terribly.

I've been consistent with braiding - in fact, too consistent. :nono: I got microbraids put in in early December, had them taken out in late March, deep conditioned my hair, got my hair blown out, and the next day had microbraids put in (I got the blowout to see the length; my hair hasn't been that straight in 9 years!). In other words... two days after I took out one set of microbraids, I put another set back in. :nono: I did it because of time - that was the only day I really had available to get it braided. :ohwell:

I had vowed to myself to not be neglectful and had good intentions. But I haven't been moisturizing it consistently and certainly not washing it and deep conditioning once a week, as I had initially planned to do.

That's my C&G confession... but when I take these microbraids out, I'm going to twist my hair (no extensions) instead of braid.

Aww, Naija, but has your hair really suffered? I ask because I don't moisturize my hair in braids except for the conditioning I do when I wash. I do baggy nightly and that doesn't seem to affect them. I do DC weekly too, so again that's one thing I make sure to do that you neglected. :spank:

OK, so I'm joining this challenge finally. I expect to be in braids for at least a year. I'm putting them in now, but it is taking me forever to do so coz I keep getting very sleepy and taking a nap. :rofl: I have taken 4 naps since this morning, and I DID have a full night sleep so WTH???! :lol:

My regimen will be no different from before.

Aww, Naija, but has your hair really suffered? I ask because I don't moisturize my hair in braids except for the conditioning I do when I wash. I do baggy nightly and that doesn't seem to affect them. I do DC weekly too, so again that's one thing I make sure to do that you neglected. :spank:

OK, so I'm joining this challenge finally. I expect to be in braids for at least a year. I'm putting them in now, but it is taking me forever to do so coz I keep getting very sleepy and taking a nap. :rofl: I have taken 4 naps since this morning, and I DID have a full night sleep so WTH???! :lol:

Hey Nonie, this challenge is closed, but feel free to lurk/contribute. :yep:

Ladies, my C&G challenge is going quite terribly.

I've been consistent with braiding - in fact, too consistent. :nono: I got microbraids put in in early December, had them taken out in late March, deep conditioned my hair, got my hair blown out, and the next day had microbraids put in (I got the blowout to see the length; my hair hasn't been that straight in 9 years!). In other words... two days after I took out one set of microbraids, I put another set back in. :nono: I did it because of time - that was the only day I really had available to get it braided. :ohwell:

I had vowed to myself to not be neglectful and had good intentions. But I haven't been moisturizing it consistently and certainly not washing it and deep conditioning once a week, as I had initially planned to do.

That's my C&G confession... but when I take these microbraids out, I'm going to twist my hair (no extensions) instead of braid.

How was the condition of your hair after the March take-down?

I have gotten especially neglectful of my hair whilst in braid extensions. When i first started braiding (May 08), i used to spray my braids at least twice a week and wash and deep condition twice a month.

Now, i rarely spray my braids, maybe once every two weeks (maybe less :look:) and i wont even tell you about my current wash schedule.

Also, i basically install sets of braids back to back... within like a 2 or 3 day span between take down and the installation of a new set.

However, whenever i take my braids down, my hair is strong... i get VERY MINIMAL shedding, and i always see noticeable growth.

I will say that i am extra vigilant about protecting my edges. I NEVER let stylists braid my edges...i section them off, tell them not to touch these areas, and do them myself when i get home.

I dunno, i think part of my slacking has to do with the fact that all the spraying and washing so frequently lead to premature braid fuzz, lol..i just didn't have the money to keep re-doing my hair.

During my 2 to 3 day "break" from braid extensions, i pamper my hair with hot oil treatments/ deep conditioning treatments. I also let it airdry in about 12-15 box braids and never use heat.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Nonie for the spanking - I need that!! And for your encouragement, too. I forgot that you are very minimal with your braids.

I honestly don't know whether or not my hair has suffered. I think I will need to employ some of your methods, though, particularly the deep conditioning. I can do that at the very least! :yep: I'm going to check your regimen right now.

How was the condition of your hair after the March take-down?

I have gotten especially neglectful of my hair whilst in braid extensions. When i first started braiding (May 08), i used to spray my braids at least twice a week and wash and deep condition twice a month.

Now, i rarely spray my braids, maybe once every two weeks (maybe less :look:) and i wont even tell you about my current wash schedule.

Also, i basically install sets of braids back to back... within like a 2 or 3 day span between take down and the installation of a new set.

However, whenever i take my braids down, my hair is strong... i get VERY MINIMAL shedding, and i always see noticeable growth.

I will say that i am extra vigilant about protecting my edges. I NEVER let stylists braid my edges...i section them off, tell them not to touch these areas, and do them myself when i get home.

I dunno, i think part of my slacking has to do with the fact that all the spraying and washing so frequently lead to premature braid fuzz, lol..i just didn't have the money to keep re-doing my hair.

During my 2 to 3 day "break" from braid extensions, i pamper my hair with hot oil treatments/ deep conditioning treatments. I also let it airdry in about 12-15 box braids and never use heat.

Good luck to you!

Thank you for everything you said. It seems that this minimalist approach that you and Nonie are using is working well for you guys. I think it might work for me, too, but I definitely know that my 4B hair needs more moisture than I've been giving it. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't take too much time in between braiding. I will say, though, that I think I need at least a week in between braids, because I think it's starting to affect my scalp's health.

Sorry girl, you had to join by Jan. 1st.

Not listening
notlistening-vi.gif

Does anyone know if the Hard C&G Challenge from 2007 is still on? :lol:

Since I'm here I'll post an update! Well I've been in braids since early December and I'm doing great as far as keeping it up I don't see me falling anytime soon with the braids since I do them myself. Right now I have tree braids and I don't miss my hair yet. However I'm having one major issue and that's moisture! Yes I do have a moisturizing braid spray ( African Royale BRX Braid and Extensions Sheen Spray) and my leave in spray which I switch every now and then depending on what's available.

So I take out a small patch of braids in my front where my bangs are just to check the strength and I notice I have a lot of growth but I got SPLIT ENDS!:wallbash: Something I didn't see when I had my hair out and I moisturized and sealed everyday. So as of now i'm doing the search and destroy method but is there a possible explanation as to why I have so many split ends and not to mention I haven't check the rest of my hair.

Sorry Guys I tend to post novels sometimes however I hoped I got my message across. Thank you Ladies!

Last edited:
I finally took my braids out everyone. My hair did well, but I have to tweak some things for the future. I had a few significantly gunky areas, so I won't be greasing my hair prior to putting in the braids next time.

I'm APL around my edges, but I have some areas in the center of my head that had 2 inches of hair. Unfortunately, they don't appear to have grown at all in the 4 1/2 months I had braids. I am praying that I don't have alopecia. I am going to get a trim today and then I think I am going to put in soft twists next week.

I'm kinda scared about the center of my head. It was too pervasive to be breakage. :sad:

Back