Anybody still doing tea rinses?

Quailbird

If so, how do you do it? How often, do you do it before or after washing, and how do you condition?
What does it do for your hair? Has it helped with growth, shedding, coloring, dried your hair out, etc.?
What type of tea do you use?
TIA

Im re-starting my tea rinsing next wash. I bought a box of nettle, catnip and saw palmetto tea! I'm thinking about doing overnight pre-poo rinses with tea (which I've never done before), but I figure I might see really good results if the tea sits on longer.

My plan is to rotate the tea for example one week nettle, and then the next week catnip so on and so forth. After I pour the tea on I will apply wheat germ oil wrap my hair with plastic wrap and then wash in the morning. If for some reason this plan does not work out I will go back to tea rinsing as a part of my DC.

ETA: When I was tea rinsing about a 2 years ago, it did seem to help with shedding.

I recently jumped on board the tea rinsing train, I did it out of boredom one day and I can't stop. I do tea rinses when I wash my hair on Sunday and Wednedsay. (2x's a week) I think I do mine differently from other posts I've seen. I pour the tea over my head while I still have conditioner in it and I'm on my way to rinse it out, after pouring it over my head, I wait a minute then proceed to wash the tea and conditioner out using water. This helps me reap the benefits of the tea rinse and not have that hard feeling afterward. I use regular tea from the grocery store, right now I'm using out the tea that I don't drink because I didn't like the taste. I put two bags and boil it with 2 cups of water and pour it into a 3 liter jug, fill it with water and pour it over my head.

What I've noticed so far is my hair is silkier, it is stronger, it has a lot more movement and it is very soft. I'm going to continue to see long term results, I read it can make the hair thicker.

Last edited:
I slowed down on it in June, but I am going to do it today. I shed a lot in the summer and noticed the long shed hairs last week. Not a lot, like 1-2 every other day....That is an improvement from last summer!

I use 100% black tea (Lipton is a mix of black tea and orange pekoe tea)....

My favorites are by Bigelow: English Breakfast (Pink Box) or English Tea Time (Blue Box). Smells delish! Any English variety of tea is best...as long as the ingredients say only Black Tea.

I do it every other week. Steep tea over 3-4 hours, then pour it on warm after I wash, co-wash, clarify or whatever. Let it drip out, then add my DC on top for at least an hour.

Tea is acidic (i.e, drying), but the DC prevents that. Rinse out tea/conditioner.

I plan to do it on my hair while its braided into sections, so it can get to the roots really good.

I've used a mix of horsetail, nettle, rosemary, gingko biloba, dandelion leaves, and peppermint. It was a tea that I purchased from a local store called The Herb Bar. They were selling it to drink, but I figured I could use it on my hair. I like the way my hair feels after I use it. I think I might add some dried hibiscus flowers to it to see if it imparts some color.

Im re-starting my tea rinsing next wash. I bought a box of nettle, catnip and saw palmetto tea! I'm thinking about doing overnight pre-poo rinses with tea (which I've never done before), but I figure I might see really good results if the tea sits on longer.

My plan is to rotate the tea for example one week nettle, and then the next week catnip so on and so forth. After I pour the tea on I will apply wheat germ oil wrap my hair with plastic wrap and then wash in the morning. If for some reason this plan does not work out I will go back to tea rinsing as a part of my DC.

ETA: When I was tea rinsing about a 2 years ago, it did seem to help with shedding.
If you think about it, will you please drop me a note or reply to this thread to let me/us know how the overnight pre-poo goes? I want to tea rinse but not sure how to incorporate. I've seen many suggestions on "how to." I'm just trying to figure what would works best for my hair.

OP, not meaning to hijack the thread (I promise) but I tried black strap molasses here recently and wasn't impressed. My shedding, although it wasn't excessive from the get-go, didn't reduce immediately. It took a few days to see a true difference and I didn't feel that my hair was softer/darker, etc. I now lose maybe 5 strands per day whereas I was only losing about 10 -- either way, not excessive.

Does tea rinses have hair softening benefits?

I've used a mix of horsetail, nettle, rosemary, gingko biloba, dandelion leaves, and peppermint. It was a tea that I purchased from a local store called The Herb Bar. They were selling it to drink, but I figured I could use it on my hair. I like the way my hair feels after I use it. I think I might add some dried hibiscus flowers to it to see if it imparts some color.

OMGoodness you are in Austin Toooo. Would you be interested in a Austin Area meetup?:grin:

I've used Lipton Black tea for the first time last wash day then without rinsing the tea out i placed my mixture of Aussie 3 min DC, Honey, Grapeseed oil, olive oil ontop of the tea and 1 1/2 no heat and 30 mins of heat. I then was it out and i swear i though my hair was shedding more than ever. i then detangled lost more hair put in my leave-ins long term relationship, sealed with grapeseed oil and sweet almond. I co wash yesterday and i lost maybe 5 hair unlike the usual 100 or more. I was extremly happy so this will become a staple for me every DC day i will tea rinse first, so far so good for me.

right now, i'm using it (as well as coffee) in my Ayurveda pastes.

like many have noticed, i too, had that dry feeling when i used them alone, but when mixed in well with other things (in my Ayurveda paste is also conditioner), it can sit on my head for an hour and i get silky soft and strong hair as a result.

i hear it can darken your hair too.

thanks for the thread, OP!

i've slowed down b/c i'm always too lazy to boil the tea

i'm on a shedding frenzy rt now;

usually repour the same tea over my head about 10 times, don't rinse out

If you think about it, will you please drop me a note or reply to this thread to let me/us know how the overnight pre-poo goes? I want to tea rinse but not sure how to incorporate. I've seen many suggestions on "how to." I'm just trying to figure what would works best for my hair.

OP, not meaning to hijack the thread (I promise) but I tried black strap molasses here recently and wasn't impressed. My shedding, although it wasn't excessive from the get-go, didn't reduce immediately. It took a few days to see a true difference and I didn't feel that my hair was softer/darker, etc. I now lose maybe 5 strands per day whereas I was only losing about 10 -- either way, not excessive.

Does tea rinses have hair softening benefits?

sure can!:yep:

No I haven't done a tea rinse since last year January when my hair started to shed like crazy. Once the shedding stopped I stopped the "treatment". I did it 1x a week for about 4 weeks I think. I used it after I shampooed like a conditioner. I never followed it up with a moisturising conditioner though.

Last edited:
I need to get back to this. I was doing coffee and tea... but i would rinse it out... I still have a few boxes in the cabinet :)

I just started about 2 weeks ago - every five days on wash day. I pour it on my head - put on my deep conditioner wrap my head for about 15-30 minutes then rinse it out...I love it!

Thanks for all the replies. Has anybody noticed any color changes since doing tea rinses? I kind of want to darken my hair.

O goodness. I'm trying not to try new things. Is it only for shedding? I would just use garlic and olive oil for that.

I use black t and sometimes nettle tea and it does work the black tea runs my blood pressure up, so I have to eat a clove of nasty garlic first. I rinse about once a week. I also have high lights and it has darken my hair a bit, I don't rinse it out.

I am. I use the generic black tea and add rosemary and ACV once or twice a week. I used citric acid in place of the ACV this time because someone had spilled over a teaspoon of it and did not want it to go to waste. Same result and no smell.

I use black t and sometimes nettle tea and it does work the black tea runs my blood pressure up, so I have to eat a clove of nasty garlic first. I rinse about once a week. I also have high lights and it has darken my hair a bit, I don't rinse it out.

This is why I haven't tried it. I am VERY caffine sensitive (palpitations and jittery), so I'm concerned about side effects. Has anyone else noticed any side effects of coffee/tea rinses on their nervous/circulatory systems? TIA

Where is everyone purchasing their nettle tea? I am doing the black tea and it works wonders for shedding and give my hair a lot of body...

This is why I haven't tried it. I am VERY caffine sensitive (palpitations and jittery), so I'm concerned about side effects. Has anyone else noticed any side effects of coffee/tea rinses on their nervous/circulatory systems? TIA

Me too! But my hair was shedding so bad, I figured I could put up with it for a minute. I would recommend nettle tea rinse.

Back