Anybody find that doing a braidout on dry hair is better than doing it on wet?

Lilmama1011

Because on you tube I see some do it wet and some do it dry and I have been doing wet and it comes out so so. So i was thinking maybe dry would be better. Anybody came to that conclusion for their hair?

I prefer braidouts on dry hair. My hair is still defined and it is stretched more than a wet braidout. So, I get bigger hair.

I prefer it on wet because it comes out more defined and shorter meaning it doesn't rub my clothes too much.
I do like dry braidouts too, but I don't do them often

cosigning...my hair never looks right on a wet braidout.:nono:

I'm gonna try a dry one because when I do wet ones, my hair stays nice and defined for like 20mins....then next thing you know, my hair is a poofy afro.

Can any of you ladies recommend a good product that makes your braidouts/twistouts last?? Preferably something all natural/organic? TIA!

I used to do wet but I prefer dry. It yield's bigger hair.

This is my dry braidout. The trick to preventing big fuzzy hair is to use a wet product when braiding.

Here is what my wet braidout looks like.

Last edited:

This is my dry braidout. The trick to preventing big fuzzy hair is to use a wet product when braiding.

Both are beautiful! What do you do to your ends, do you roll them? Or do they naturally fall like that lol!? :)

For my dry braidout I use perming rods (click the pic for a step by step breakdown)

For my wet braid out that is my natural curl. Sometimes I encourage it by smoothing.

SkySurfer

I get sleeker hair wet, and it lasts longer.
But heavens know it takes FOREVER to dry.
however, i can wear the style 4 days without rebraiding, whereas dry it really only lasts 1 day, maybe less if i go hard in the gym.

OP, you're relaxed right?
I have seen some really cute braidouts on ladies who airdried their relaxed hair first, i think they look best on relaxed hair that way. Lemme dig up a video for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lmzeMECt9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLZZ7p3yNvM

I'm gonna try a dry one because when I do wet ones, my hair stays nice and defined for like 20mins....then next thing you know, my hair is a poofy afro.

Can any of you ladies recommend a good product that makes your braidouts/twistouts last?? Preferably something all natural/organic? TIA!

I have the same problem as MsDes...as soon as I walk out the door my hair goes poof and all definition goes. Need product suggestions please! I looked like a hot mess at work the other day as soon as I got out of the car and saw my reflections I was like dayammmmmmmm lol. I has to improvise a solution and make it look like I wore it that way on purpose haha. Im transitioning so its even worse when it reverts bc the curled ends fall straight so I have random longer pieces hanging down and random straight parts sticking out all over. I tried to scrunch some mousse in it in the bathroom to at least shape the "fro" I was sporting that day...wasnt the look I was going for! Wont mind so much when I dont have the relaxed ends, but that will be a long time away!

westNDNbeauty said:

http://confessionsofablogvixen.com/2012/01/how-to-achieve-swang/

http://confessionsofablogvixen.com/...ralista-cosmetics-juicy-leave-in-conditioner/

I see the dry was less frizzy and it still came out great tho, I have very little definition when I do it

westNDNbeauty said:

http://confessionsofablogvixen.com/2012/01/how-to-achieve-swang/

http://confessionsofablogvixen.com/...ralista-cosmetics-juicy-leave-in-conditioner/

How many braids you do? And how do you position them ? Because mines definitely don't be defined at the root

Rocky91 said:
I get sleeker hair wet, and it lasts longer.
But heavens know it takes FOREVER to dry.
however, i can wear the style 4 days without rebraiding, whereas dry it really only lasts 1 day, maybe less if i go hard in the gym.

OP, you're relaxed right?
I have seen some really cute braidouts on ladies who airdried their relaxed hair first, i think they look best on relaxed hair that way. Lemme dig up a video for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lmzeMECt9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLZZ7p3yNvM

Yes I'm relaxed and thanks

Leslie_C said:
I have the same problem as MsDes...as soon as I walk out the door my hair goes poof and all definition goes. Need product suggestions please! I looked like a hot mess at work the other day as soon as I got out of the car and saw my reflections I was like dayammmmmmmm lol. I has to improvise a solution and make it look like I wore it that way on purpose haha. Im transitioning so its even worse when it reverts bc the curled ends fall straight so I have random longer pieces hanging down and random straight parts sticking out all over. I tried to scrunch some mousse in it in the bathroom to at least shape the "fro" I was sporting that day...wasnt the look I was going for! Wont mind so much when I dont have the relaxed ends, but that will be a long time away!

I'm sorry but I busted out laughing when you said you looked at you reflection and said Dayam lol

I usually spritz my dry hair with aloe vera10%,rose water40%, and spring water50%. Them put a little mowrah butter before I braid.

dry works best for me! my hair takes way too long to dry when i braid with wet hair, and then when they're finally unraveled they frizz up as the day progresses.

Dry looks best on fine hair I think. Courser hair can probably go with wet or moist. I do it on dry stretched or blown out hair and use grease and flaxseed gel.

How many braids you do? And how do you position them ? Because mines definitely don't be defined at the root

The number of braids depends on if my hair is wet or dry.

When dry, I do about 18 braids (click on the pic to see what the braids look like).

When my hair is wet, there are about 30 braids.

I found that doing a braidout on dry hair works best for me, then i dampen it after the braids are complete (in siggy).

my wet braid outs look like WNGs. I only do braidouts when I want bigger hair since my WNG are not big ever. I prefer dry hair with wet hands. The moisture helps with definition and I still get big hair. I twist my ends for a finished look.

Its the only way to do it for me. I have tried it on wet hair, but my hair takes too long to dry, & when it does it is rather shrunken, cant get my fingers thru it, with no body and a weird shape. Also frizzes badly if I try to pull apart.
I blowout for the majority of my styles to get the look/feel I like, then lightly mist after its braided or twisted to set.

LongLeggedLife said:
Its the only way to do it for me. I have tried it on wet hair, but my hair takes too long to dry, & when it does it is rather shrunken, cant get my fingers thru it, with no body and a weird shape. Also frizzes badly if I try to pull apart.
I blowout for the majority of my styles to get the look/feel I like, then lightly mist after its braided or twisted to set.

Yeah when mines is wet it will take 24 hrs to dry so the day before I had a loose wet and wavy look and at night I mist it with my Shea moisture hold and shine spray and moisturized and did four twist and put a flexi rod at the end of my hair

Back