Anybody ever transition with short hair?

I did it for 9 weeks and couldn't take the tangles. I did grow my nape in first by using MTG, Surge, castor oil, and Dr. miracles's temple balm. I BCD shortly after that. I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help. I basically wore my hair in a wash n go style. It wasn't pretty, but that's the only thing I knew how to do.:ohwell:

That's what I'm doing right now. I'm almost 16 weeks post and usually where wash n go's or a wig when it really looks bad. On very rare occasions, I do a braidout to blend the two textures. I always makes sure to keep the back area moisturized and I usually pic the hair instead of combing or brushing.

More responses PLEASE!! I have a friend that is transitioning from short hair (was shaved in the back). And she is becoming tempted to relax again. So I told her that I would get her some info and tips. TIA!!!

My friend transitioned with very short hair, and I think she used heat and headscarves until it was long enough in the back to catch and start braiding. Now she wears a variety of kinky twists and braids until it gets long enough to wear out.

Co-signing with Fran and Cheleigh. This is one of those times that you gotta hide it or your will go nuts (especially if it's important for you to look cute most of the time). Good luck!:)

i didnt but if i had to i would probably do strawsets, wigs, extension braids, etc. until i got enough length to do twistouts or braidouts.

Thanks Ladies! All of those sound great. I thought about wigs, but I never thought about headwraps/scarves. I'm only 2 months post and I'm already itching to relax it til it gets longer. Anyways, we'll see if I make it :perplexed:

I was wondering about this too (because I'm transitionig with short hair). I wear a wig when I go out and probably will continue for a year. I still cannot use the ponytail method or bun method because my hair is so short.

When I transitioned with short hair, spiral sets and strawsets were styles that worked well for me.

So, for those that were shaved in the back, what did you do with that part?? That's the part that my friend doesn't really know what to do with. And she not a wig or headwrap girl. So she probably won't like that idea!! :lol:

I transitioned with short hair, shaved in the back. What I did was wear headwraps and wigs. I got it cornrowed with extenstions, leaving the shaved part unbraided. The back extensions covered the inch and half shaved part. :look:

For the first two months I wore braids (to cover up the shaved part) until I was able to twist the shaved part. Once it grew out enough to twist it, I wore twists and am still wearing twists now. My last relaxer was May 19th, and with the twists I have never had a problem with tangling or with the two textures.

Ms_Twana said:
So, for those that were shaved in the back, what did you do with that part?? That's the part that my friend doesn't really know what to do with. And she not a wig or headwrap girl. So she probably won't like that idea!! :lol:

Water, gel, and a scarf were my friend at that time.

I'm going the wig route. My scalp is allergic to weave (seriously) so this method will have to do until I can start bunning it up. I work out alot so the scarves work well for me too. Thanks again Ladies.

Please feel free to keep posting ideas for the other ladies in the same situation as myself! :)

My mother did. Her hair was shaved in the back and the sides. She wore wigs during that stage. Didn't braid her hair 'cause it was too short in the beginning....just moisturized and put the wig on. You can also do braidouts for the top parts as well.

I transistion from short hair. I did what Brownskin suggested in the beginning. I got partial weaves that covered the bottom portion of my hair so I didn't have to worry about it. I wore the headscarfs. I did whatever I had to do until the back was juuuust long enough to finally make it into braids. I swear, the beginning was THE worst part of the transition since I couldn't do any cute stuff with my hair :perplexed . But I kept at it full steam ahead because I had my vision in sight. And plus, I would say it only took about 2 months or so until I had a lot of hair to grasp in the back. Hope that helps :)

BUMPING!

The natural heads on here got me thinking about transitioning for the FIRST time in my life. I've had a relaxer since i was under 6 yrs old. So that's all I know.

Yall see my short bob in my siggy so how in the heck am I gonna transition that? :nono:

I CAN get it in a low ponytail. I don't want to wear wigs, I have never worn a weave and I have never had braids other than flat twists that I NEVER left in my hair for longer than a week because i had a bad scalp.(dandruff, itchies, etc.)

My stylist recommended twists because of the low maintenance cause i hate to do my hair anyway as oppossed to the micro braids because I am babying my edges.

What are yall suggestions for transitioning short asymmetric hairstyles?? Should I get some twists? Stylist said i could still wash my hair as normal and they would hold up well.

I am on my second stretch. I normally relax 6-8 weeks. And I am currently coming up on week 10. 4B Hair I think. I want pretty waves too!

BUMP BUMP! I have an inverted Bob like you MizzBrown, and I'm around 11 weeks post, it's getting difficult... I may have to just get braids.

Transitioning with longer hair (shoulder length plus) was soooooo much easier!!

I wore a half wig when I first cut off all my hair because I had no clue what to do with my hair. This was a good way for me to hide my hair since it was too short for braids or a weave. And it help me not to relax my hair until I decide to texlax when I found this website.

I had to shave/ cut down all over. i started with a scarf. Later swtch to using a lace wig until it was long enough to braid. I still use all three to keep my hair away from me.

Back