Anybody ever call of the wedding to elope

tmhuggiebear

I'm wondering how many people have gotten deep into their wedding plans and then choose to call of the wedding to elope instead for whatever reason.

How did tell you family and friends about the change? How did they take it? Any regrets?

Great question! My boyfriend and I almost eloped last month, but then I realized how hurt our parents would be to be deprived of that moment. But at this point, I'm thinking I'd rather have a down payment for a house than a wedding, and eloping sounds like a good idea again. I'd love to hear people's stories!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using LHCF

Im not even dating yet but ive already come to the decision that if i ever get engaged i will just elope. Weddings cost too much money and time. I would rather spend that thousands of dollars on a fantastic honeymoon for us then for one day to show some gossipers that i got married.

I'm wondering how many people have gotten deep into their wedding plans and then choose to call of the wedding to elope instead for whatever reason.

How did tell you family and friends about the change? How did they take it? Any regrets?

What matters is will YOU (& FH) regret it? Have you always envisioned the type of wedding you are planning or has it blown up into an event that you both are just props?

If what works for you as a couple is an elopement then do it. If what works for you is a drastic cut back or change from the plans you initially set to do then let people know now. If you've already sent out STD then just send a new notice advising that plans have been postponed and only follow up with the few you are including. If people are holding on to vacation days are looking for flights you need to let them know now (I book way in advance to get good prices).

People will get mad or disappointed but at the end of the day it is your day. I don't know anyone that's eloped and regretted it but I know plenty that have gone forward with plans that overwhelmed them and they basically counted down the days to just get "the wedding" over with.

If you do decide to elope then please stay off of FB/social media with all the wedding talk. When the time comes just change your status to married with a few pictures.

Now if you are contemplating this solely because planning is getting out of hand then take a break for a week or two and then go back and reevaluate where you are at. Figure out what your must haves are and then go forward.

If your hesitation is because of your parents then you have two choices - do it and tell them afterwards or plan a surprise much smaller wedding (such as dinner at a restaurant but when they show up its a private room with a preacher on hand). This way you have the intimate event you wanted with the much smaller guest list you can handle.

Last I remember you wanted to elope and your fiance wanted the wedding. Is that still the case? Or is he onboard to eloping? If he is and you both want that then just do it. Sure there will be some disappointed people but if that's what you both want then that's what you should do.
If your fiance still wants a wedding then a sit down, long compromising talk should be in the works. Not every groom thinks that the wedding is just for the bride. If this is something really important to him and eloping is really important to you then ya'll have to come together a make the call either way.

my mother would never let me live it down. :nono: i honestly think the actual wedding day means more to her than to me. i consider it my gift to her :lol: i don't mind the ceremony but i personally would like something super low key. meanwhile Jamaicans want bashments (big parties) :lol:

tmhuggiebear, check out a site called intimateweddings.com. Lots of great tips and advice from real couples who eloped or had very small weddings. I love all of the couples who ran away to Paris and eloped.

Last edited:
We are like this close to doing it.
I'm just so tired of planning stuff.
Only thing stopping us is thinking about how hurt our mothers would be.
My mom lives in a different state and already made plans to fly out here for the wedding so its pretty much a no go....but gaaa I want the madness to end already!

cookiemonster287

I-can-relate :sad:

42 more days to go! DF and I have a lot to do in the meantime. It's exhausting and we wish March 16 were here already while dreading that all the stuff that needs to be accomplished wouldn't be. :sigh:

Back