Any UK ladies going to the Afro Hair & Beauty Show?

LushLox

So are any of you guys going to this. It's this bank holiday weekend, Sunday 24th & 25th May at Alexandra Palace, £10 entry. http://www.afrohairshow.com/home.html

I went to these events before back in the day. You need to make sure both your hair AND your clothes are on point because you'll be getting checked out all day. Not to mention all the on heat guys who use the whole process just to pick up women! :rolleyes:

If I do go, it would be to attend some of the workshops/seminars.

Loc Techniques & Natural Hair Styling presented by My Hairitage

My Hairitage will demonstrate the beauty and versatility of locs and show how to create a loc style. Come view this exciting loc presentation!

Black Hair Growth Secrets - Sunday 24th only
Presented by Elizabeth Vincent of Sweet Sable
Why Most Hair Growth Products Don't Work! - Sunday 24th only. Join me as I expose the awful truth about the hair growth products on the market that promise you longer tresses but don't usually deliver!

sweetsable_logo.gif
The Seven Hottest Tips for Managing Natural Hair - Monday 25th only Elizabeth Vincent of Sweet Sable
Stuck in a rut with your natural tresses? Can't control the hair that nature has given you? Find out seven ways to control your natural hair and improve the quality and texture and style for your tresses.
simiweave_logo.gif

Learn the Secret to the SimiWeave
Simi Belo, inventor of the award-winning SimiWeave™ (stand 199) will show you exactly what makes her product so incredibly quick, convenient and completely realistic. The best-kept celebrity secret! Want an instant make over and a few moments in the spotlight? Volunteer to be one of Simi's
mannequins on stage when she asks!

discoverBECCA_logo.gif

Professional make-up artists will tell you that two out of three women are not wearing the correct colour of foundation. Discover the secrets of the A-List's favourite with BECCA's Flawless Skin Masterclass. Our 34 shades of foundation and concealer perfectly match any complexion. Find your exact shade and learn how to achieve radiant, flawless beauty with BECCA

lifestyel_logo.gif

Success Through Communications
Presented by Herald Bradnock from Kingdom Solution International

Recession proof your life through communication. Learn What to Do and How to Do It, using the right systems. Positive Lifestyle Choices for Longevity By Fred Evans, Daromy Drinks

With the onslaught of toxins in our food, environment, and water what can we do to preserve health naturally? Daromy Drinks we believe that health comes by choice and not by accident. Learn the benefits of Noni, Mangosteen, Acai, Aloe Vera and how they contribute to a better and healthier ifestyle giving natural healthy skin, nails and hair, also aiding the heart, liver and the immune system. Positive lifestyle choices will effect positive changes for longevity and wellbeing naturally.
graceowen_logo.gif

You've Got TALENT……. presented by Life Coach Grace Owen
(Monday Only)
You've Got TALENT - Grace Owen will explain how to make the right career choices by finding out who you are and what your talents are. This is just as relevant for school leavers, as it is for those that think they have made the wrong choice and want to change career.

Entrepreneurs Question Time
Presented by African Caribbean Business Network
Everything you want to know about starting up a business. The highs, the lows and the pitfalls one may encounter. Listen and learn.

I decided not to go this year but my mom and sis will be going on Sunday.

The Sweet sable presentation sounds interesting. If you do end up going, let us know how it goes.

I was going to go, I'm not a Londoner so I would have had to get tickets in advance so I could get down cheaper.. the tickets for the show were on a BOGOF offer then too..Nobody I knew was interested in going and it wasn't mentioned on here early enough..

Maybe next year depending on the feedback from the show on here..

You need to make sure both your hair AND your clothes are on point because you'll be getting checked out all day. Not to mention all the on heat guys who use the whole process just to pick up women! :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound like my kinda fun at all.
I think i'll give it a miss. :grin:

Ill be there, its not as good as it used to be. Im just observing as opposed to purchasing.

I do wanna go because even if most of it isnt good there may be something that is of interest, not from London so may have need to plan better. Last one I went to was about 2years ago and we got some good freebies. Plus Sleek were there giving away make up samples.

I do wanna go because even if most of it isnt good there may be something that is of interest, not from London so may have need to plan better. Last one I went to was about 2years ago and we got some good freebies. Plus Sleek were there giving away make up samples.

I must time it wrong, i still have samples of rubbish where were the sleek make up samples!!! :lachen:

I will keep my eyes peeled for the good stuff.

I must time it wrong, i still have samples of rubbish where were the sleek make up samples!!! :lachen:

I will keep my eyes peeled for the good stuff.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
I think it was in 2007 when they did the big launch in Superdrug stores, I got lipglosses and eyeshadows etc. Some people were giving away samples of hair stuff as well.

There were some people with microscopes giving you the chance to see what your hair looked like aand telling you which of their products to buy to help you. It was a handheld microscope so they were looking at scalps on the big screen lol

And Levi Root (Reggae Reggae Sauce man) was giving a talk on business as well. I had a good time:yep::yep:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
I think it was in 2007 when they did the big launch in Superdrug stores, I got lipglosses and eyeshadows etc. Some people were giving away samples of hair stuff as well.

There were some people with microscopes giving you the chance to see what your hair looked like aand telling you which of their products to buy to help you. It was a handheld microscope so they were looking at scalps on the big screen lol

And Levi Root (Reggae Reggae Sauce man) was giving a talk on business as well. I had a good time:yep::yep:

Sounds like it was a good year!

Last year what did i get, mmm some wonder body milk, yes that body milk did NOT make it on my body!

Anyways should be a good day out with the girls.

May see some of you there!

So i went yesterday with the girls and we left after 1.5 hours?

There was nothing there.

If you wanted a jigsaw weave then go for it!

Maybe today is better, there were more beauty stands than anything else!

Also we saw some beautiful heads of hair and one girl with gorgeous hair was getting it blow dried to death for one of the live demonstrations.

Me and Chenai were looking on in horror they then gave this girl a "trim" which was blatantly a cut. We were overhead saying that was not a trim by the bald headed stylist. Then she said to us "that why your hair not grow coz you don't trim it!"

For a start our hair does grow and i dust/trim as necessary and Chenai's hair is gorgeous!

Needless to say we ignored her

So i went yesterday with the girls and we left after 1.5 hours?

There was nothing there.

If you wanted a jigsaw weave then go for it!

Maybe today is better, there were more beauty stands than anything else!

Also we saw some beautiful heads of hair and one girl with gorgeous hair was getting it blow dried to death for one of the live demonstrations.

Me and Chenai were looking on in horror they then gave this girl a "trim" which was blatantly a cut. We were overhead saying that was not a trim by the bald headed stylist. Then she said to us "that why your hair not grow coz you don't trim it!"

For a start our hair does grow and i dust/trim as necessary and Chenai's hair is gorgeous!

Needless to say we ignored her

Lawd, that old chestnut. Bloody cheek... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback, Girls.

I was gonna buy tickets for me and my Cuz but, decided against it because of the lack of information about exhibitioners (wanted to know whether there was any Natural Hair exhibitioners).

Good ting I never went! Judging from the feedback, I can see things haven't changed from the last time I went (1995/6).

Glad I saved my money - spent it on having a BBQ instead!

I think it has been declining over the past few years but this year had to be the worst! :nono: There were very few stands and only in the main hall - the other hall was unused. If you wanted a weave or lace front wig you were in your element (my friend/hairdresser who is just getting into lace fronts loved it) but nothing much else at all. For me it was a real disappointment and really not worth the ticket price. For those of you who decided to give it a miss - you missed nothing. The only upside was that due to the lack of people attending, the exhibitors were able to spend more time discussing hair issues and techniques on a one to one basis.

I think it has been declining over the past few years but this year had to be the worst! :nono: There were very few stands and only in the main hall - the other hall was unused. If you wanted a weave or lace front wig you were in your element (my friend/hairdresser who is just getting into lace fronts loved it) but nothing much else at all. For me it was a real disappointment and really not worth the ticket price. For those of you who decided to give it a miss - you missed nothing. The only upside was that due to the lack of people attending, the exhibitors were able to spend more time discussing hair issues and techniques on a one to one basis.

Exactly you hit the nail on the head! To say it used to cover two halls and now barely fills one.

Did you talk to Sweetsable? Normally a consultation is £500 for a hair care plan, i don't know how much it was on the day as i heard that price and chipped. lol

Exactly you hit the nail on the head! To say it used to cover two halls and now barely fills one.

Did you talk to Sweetsable? Normally a consultation is £500 for a hair care plan, i don't know how much it was on the day as i heard that price and chipped. lol

Good grief!

I wonder what advice they have to offer that couldn't be found on here or, other hair boards?

I went to a few of these a couple of years back. The last one I went to was in 06 or 07. That year it was all about Brasilian human hair extensions and "realistic-looking" wigs. There were a couple of stands for natural hair care, each of them more concerned with selling their product to you than giving you good advice on hair care. I think the show is a waste of time, to be honest.

It's a real shame this event has deteriorated to this level. Years past it was a good day out with your girlfriends (we would play spot the tv personality) and we all felt satisfied with our purchases, new information and seeing the vibrant hair designs etc...

We have so much to offer - there is loads of talent in the UK from the afro-caribbean community but you would never believe it from visiting the shows in the past few years. The last time I visited was about 3 years ago when for a £10 purchase of Africare product I got my natural hair pressed and trimmed by top west end salon Burnett Forbes.

I feel that we have so much talent and creativity within the african and west indian communities and an event like this is ideal as a showcase. Where was the advice/stand for all the natural hair salons? For those looking for advice on texturising? Even for relaxed heads - the choice was sparse. Where were all the jewelry designers/makers/retailers? ethnic clothing lines ('ethnic' fashion being so high street at the moment this was an ideal venue to expose our portfolios).
The only breath of fresh air for me at this last show was a cool guy selling natural soaps.

It's time for the organisers to seriously review this event and come up with a revamped show. No point in spending advertising £ if the actual event leaves a lot to be desired and there were many people leaving early.

That's a shame. I stopped attending years ago due to the poor quality on offer. The best year for me was probably the year when Destiny's Child performed on stage. I think that was 2000.

It definitely used to be the even to go to, and to be seen out. We blantantly used to go to floss. It's allowed when you're in your late teens and twenties. I'm 32 now and don't live in London anymore and I wasn't even remotely tempted.

Never mind, hopefully the organisers will revamp but the decade is nearly over and it's been rubbish for at least 5 years now. :ohwell:

Back