Any tips to prepare for a do-it-at-home touch-up?

Fine 4s

This is what I have so far...

2 weeks prior to the application, do a 2 mn Aphogee treatment.
Apply a conditioner to permed hair exposing only the NG to avoid overlap.
How do I properly neutralize the hair after application?
Use Roux Porosity control mixed into a DC after the perm application.
Final rinse with ACV?
Trim ends
braid/twist hair to dry...

Can anyone share their touch-up regimen?

I would clarify your hair as well in the weeks leading up to your relaxer to get rid of buildup and to clean your hair. Do that before the Apoghee Step. Please don't forget to base your scalp and hairline really good too. After you relax, rinse, and rinse and rinse. Apply a light protein conditioner prior to neutralizing. Purchase a Color Coded Neutralizer so you'll know exactly when all the relaxer is out of your hair. I applied a conditioner w/heat. Afterwards, I used the PC to close the cuticle -- instead of mixing it in the DC. There are alot of Relaxer Support Threads to guide you safely through the process. It would be helpful to do an advanced search on there as well. HHG.

Last edited:
This is what I have so far...

2 weeks prior to the application, do a 2 mn Aphogee treatment. I do this with the 2-step Aphogee treatment ONE WEEK before a touch-up AFTER I use a chelating shampoo to make sure all of the build-up is off my hair and scalp. Always follow the 2-step Aphogee with a deep condition.
Apply a conditioner to permed hair exposing only the NG to avoid overlap. I skip this step because (a) I stretch my relaxers at least 11 weeks so my new growth is clear and (b) I don't do my own relaxers and the person who does them is good about not overlapping.
How do I properly neutralize the hair after application? Rinse all of the relaxer out, wash with a neutralizing poo, wash again with a neutralizing poo but this time wait 15 minutes before you rinse, wash again and wait 5 mintues before you rinse, and wash again until the neutrlizing shampoo suds turn white. Realistically, after leaving the neutralizing shampoo on for 15 and 5 minutes, that last shampoo should be enough.
Use Roux Porosity control mixed into a DC after the perm application.
Final rinse with ACV?
Trim ends
braid/twist hair to dry...

Can anyone share their touch-up regimen?

Use ACV mixed with water after the first shampoo to neutralise fast, you will only need to shampoo 1 or 2 more times. Shampooing alone does not get all the relaxer out

I try to keep it simple:
1. use a pre-conditioning treatment on the relaxed hair the optimum anti-breakage comes with a pre treatment for previously relaxed hair.
2. use Summits base cream on my hairline; neck etc. let that sit for 10-15 mins.
3. put hair in either 2 sections sometimes (top and bottom or side to side)
4. try to apply relaxer to new growth within 10-15 mins
5. run through new growth again for smoothing with back of rat tail comb n small sections.
6. rinse hair with water to get some of the relaxer out then,
rinse with NEUTRALIZING shampoo I prefer the ones with the color coding system I rinse until the shampoo no longer has a pink color it and the suds are clear letting you know ALL of the relaxer is rinsed out.
7. wash with shampoo that the kit came with and then use my shampoo and conditioner
blow dry or rollerset then flat iron depending on my mood.

I like the pre-relaxer treatments on relaxed hair that is specified for that Mizani has a good treatment to place on your strands, but I know others use regular conditioners, I guess they have the same stuff in them.

I only self relax because my mom is a stylist and learned the right way to do it. be very careful or you can mess your hair up with burns etc. If I wasn't brought up in the salon I would not self relax but then you have to be careful on the stylist that relaxes your hair as well.

Back