Any tips on what i can do to combat shedding?

KynniB

I feel like my hair sheds way too much and i need to limit that as much as possible. Any suggestions?

Why do you feel that way? Is your hair thinning? Do you lose more than 150 hairs a day?

When people ask how to stop shedding, I always find it such an odd question coz to me shedding is as normal as nature's call. Why would you want to change a normal occurrence?

I dont count, nor do i know what 150 hairs look like. I only comb once a week in the shower and it freaks me out to see the amount of hair on my shower floor when all is said and done

have u tried tea or coffee rinising? sounds odd I know, but it does help with the shedding.

I dont count, nor do i know what 150 hairs look like. I only comb once a week in the shower and it freaks me out to see the amount of hair on my shower floor when all is said and done

Only combing once a week is a week's worth of shed hair, each day we shed approximately 50-100 hairs give or take a few hairs or 50. So in the shower, you could lose about 700+ hairs and it would be normal for you since you only comb once a week. That hair has to come out at some point. The hair is actually already not attached to your head anymore, you are just bringing it out with the comb.
I used to be the same as you about this issue. Look at the thread I started.

Is this too much hair loss for the shower?

If you can't tell how many hairs you've lost, take a picture like I did and post it on here.

See these threads for some info on shedding. msa was great on this topic:

Shedding, shedding, and more shedding

And if you want to reduce shedding after all is said and done, people have said good things about alter ego garlic treatment deep conditioner. If you don't want to pay the price, people have said good things about adding garlic powder to your deep conditioners.
See this thread: Ever mixed garlic powder to your conditioner?

Another less expensive alternative to the Alter Ego:
Coconut/Garlic Hair Loss/Shedding Remedy

Another shedding remedy:
My shed stopper!!!!!!!
Finally, people swear by shikakai powder to stop shedding dead in its tracks.

Hope that helps! :grin:

Coffee Rinsing. ASAP. Rinse your hair/scalp with a cup of plain, brewed (not instant) coffee. Rinse after an hour or use as a leave-in.

Back