Any Swimmers on LHCF?

prettypithy

I love to swim! I even went natural so I could swim more often without worrying about the chlorine interacting with the relaxer. Here's my swim regimen:

Saturate hair with conditioner prior to putting on swim cap
Rinse out hair thoroughly upon exiting the pool
Either Shampoo or Co-wash and follow up with DC from 30 minutes to an hour

If you're a swimmer, what do you do to prevent damage from the chlorine? Post your swim regimen below! Also, if you know where I can find a good swim cap, I'm in the market!

Swimmer here! Just learned to swim :lol:

here's my regimen.

Night before swim day (or early in the morning on swim day) - saturate hair with coconut oil

at least 15 minutes before getting into the pool - saturate hair with water (i stand under the shower before i get into the pool)

After getting out of the pool i stand under the shower for about a minute or two, letting the water run over my hair.

Then i cowash gently (i know i should shampoo, but i don't want to frizz my twists up too much, they need to last me two weeks.

(I'm looking for a swim cap; and goggles too (i use borrowed goggles :lachen:)

Congrats on learning to swim, Sesi! I just learned in 2009 so I'm new to it, too. I will look into the coconut oil.

Swimmer here! Just learned to swim :lol:

here's my regimen.

Night before swim day (or early in the morning on swim day) - saturate hair with coconut oil

at least 15 minutes before getting into the pool - saturate hair with water (i stand under the shower before i get into the pool)

After getting out of the pool i stand under the shower for about a minute or two, letting the water run over my hair.

Then i cowash gently (i know i should shampoo, but i don't want to frizz my twists up too much, they need to last me two weeks.

(I'm looking for a swim cap; and goggles too (i use borrowed goggles :lachen:)

Heeeelllllssss yeah!!! I swim in the pool and the ocean, I snorkel, jet ski in Florida (when I get a chance), the whole bit! Like u mentioned OP, just put a good conditioner on your hair b4, coz ur hair absorbs the conditioner before you get in the water more than chlorine. After swimming I use a good "swimmer's" shampoo to take out the chlorine, and a DC. I normally have braids in the summer so I won't use heat style or DC.

Swimming is a great exercise that is better than running coz it's easier on ur joints and is weightless.

Last edited:
Congrats on learning to swim, Sesi! I just learned in 2009 so I'm new to it, too. I will look into the coconut oil.

Here's a couple of links as to why coconut oil instead of conditioner and hwy so long before swimming. Jc at The Natural Haven has done some research on it - it's mostly to prevent hygral fatigue

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/04/swimming-hair-routine.html

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/05/swimming-questions.html

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/06/hair-care-when-swimming-tip-on-water.html

(I still refuse to shampoo, :look:)

My hair is relaxed, and I have streaks in my hair. Is it ok if I just use conditioner and no swimming cap? When I get out of the pool, what is a good swimmer shampoo I should use?

QUOTE=PrettyinPink001;13927569]My hair is relaxed, and I have streaks in my hair. Is it ok if I just use conditioner and no swimming cap? When I get out of the pool, what is a good swimmer shampoo I should use?[/QUOTE]

PrettyinPink001
You are double processed for your hair I would suggest a swim cap. Not to necessarily keep the water off because they dont always do that. They do however keep it fairly dry especially if placed correctly. It will also help with keeping the pool water clean since you will have so much product on it.

Like someone suggested you should be dousing your hair with coconut oil prior to getting to the pool. Wet your hair and allow it to say wet for at least 15 min-20 min once at the pool.

Towel dry the drippies and apply a conditioner preferably one with -cones. Make sure you get alot on your ends and then put your hair in a bun but you dont have to use a hair tye. It does not matter the type of bun just as long as your ends are tucked away.

Once done rinse you head with cool water for a good min or so and then shampoo. A shampoo I would suggest is PM 3 shampoo, it cleans the hair well but doesnt strip it. Yes there are cones but the hair doesn't feel coated;I love the shampoo and use it often to clarify my hair. Apply coconut oi on your hair again after shampooing

When I was swimming, Frid-Sun in '08 I had more color on my relaxed hair. I was applying coconut oil on my hair but I did not apply the conditioner nor did I shampoo after each swim. I would just rinse and apply more coconut oil. I would shampoo on Sunday and then condition. By the end of the 3rd month I wound up having to dust my ends 1/4 inch.

make sure you stay up on your moisture/protein balance

My daughter that is natural did not have any problems and she swam as much as me and all I did was apply coconut oil on her hair.

QUOTE=PrettyinPink001;13927569]My hair is relaxed, and I have streaks in my hair. Is it ok if I just use conditioner and no swimming cap? When I get out of the pool, what is a good swimmer shampoo I should use?

PrettyinPink001
You are double processed for your hair I would suggest a swim cap. Not to necessarily keep the water off because they dont always do that. They do however keep it fairly dry especially if placed correctly. It will also help with keeping the pool water clean since you will have so much product on it.

Like someone suggested you should be dousing your hair with coconut oil prior to getting to the pool. Wet your hair and allow it to say wet for at least 15 min-20 min once at the pool.

Towel dry the drippies and apply a conditioner preferably one with -cones. Make sure you get alot on your ends and then put your hair in a bun but you dont have to use a hair tye. It does not matter the type of bun just as long as your ends are tucked away.

Once done rinse you head with cool water for a good min or so and then shampoo. A shampoo I would suggest is PM 3 shampoo, it cleans the hair well but doesnt strip it. Yes there are cones but the hair doesn't feel coated;I love the shampoo and use it often to clarify my hair. Apply coconut oi on your hair again after shampooing

When I was swimming, Frid-Sun in '08 I had more color on my relaxed hair. I was applying coconut oil on my hair but I did not apply the conditioner nor did I shampoo after each swim. I would just rinse and apply more coconut oil. I would shampoo on Sunday and then condition. By the end of the 3rd month I wound up having to dust my ends 1/4 inch.

make sure you stay up on your moisture/protein balance

My daughter that is natural did not have any problems and she swam as much as me and all I did was apply coconut oil on her hair.[/QUOTE]

You are a wealth of knowledge, so let me recap to make sure I'm doing this right. 15-20 mins before I enter the pool apply coconut oil water and conditioner correct? And then after wash with a shampoo?
What is exactly a cones? And which conditioner has it? What is the shampoo PM 3??
I asked my hair dresser about what I should do with my hair before I go swimming and she said nothing add leave in after. Does this make any sense????? Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

You are a wealth of knowledge, so let me recap to make sure I'm doing this right.

15-20 mins before I enter the pool apply coconut oil water and conditioner correct? Yes. Allow your hair to get wet for atleast a minute or 2 like another poster stated.
And then after wash with a shampoo? Yes, First rinse with cool water for a minute or two. When you shampoo make sure to get the the entire hairline go a bit further down to ensure all chlorine has been neutralized as much as possible. .
What is exactly a cones? cones are: dimethicone, etc. The ones that resist the most water entry are deimethicone and cyclomethicone, Amodimethicone IMO is not good enough. if you have a serum you can just apply that instead of the conditioner. Sallys silk infusion is very inexpensive and a little goes a long way. You may have to do more than one lathering when you shampoo.
And which conditioner has it? T[COLOR="red"]here are many conditioners out there. Go for one that is at a drugstore or your local BSS. Try to get ones where the cones are close to the top.[/COLOR]
What is the shampoo PM 3?? Paul Mitchell 3 shampoo. This can even double as a body wash to get rid of the smell of chlorine.
I asked my hair dresser about what I should do with my hair before I go swimming and she said nothing add leave in after. I know she is your stylist but the reason why most of us are here is becasue we have been given erroneous information. SHE WAS WRONG, if you follow her advice your hair will be FLUCKED UP!!!
Apply more evco afterwards and if you can a bit of avocado oil. The reason is evco will may make your hair hard and the avo oil will soften it right up. You wont need a leave-in after this. If you want to you can but its not necessary.
Does this make any sense????? YUP!!!

Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF[/QUOTE]

PrettyinPink001

Girl at first I was all kind of confused reading that post. LOL Then I realized it came from your phone so the posting will not look the same.

Ok now that we got that out the way I can answer:
My answers are in red

You are a wealth of knowledge, so let me recap to make sure I'm doing this right.

15-20 mins before I enter the pool apply coconut oil water and conditioner correct? Yes. Allow your hair to get wet for atleast a minute or 2 like another poster stated.
And then after wash with a shampoo? Yes, First rinse with cool water for a minute or two. When you shampoo make sure to get the the entire hairline go a bit further down to ensure all chlorine has been neutralized as much as possible. .
What is exactly a cones? cones are: dimethicone, etc. The ones that resist the most water entry are deimethicone and cyclomethicone, Amodimethicone IMO is not good enough. if you have a serum you can just apply that instead of the conditioner. Sallys silk infusion is very inexpensive and a little goes a long way. You may have to do more than one lathering when you shampoo.
And which conditioner has it? T[COLOR="red"]here are many conditioners out there. Go for one that is at a drugstore or your local BSS. Try to get ones where the cones are close to the top.[/COLOR]
What is the shampoo PM 3?? Paul Mitchell 3 shampoo. This can even double as a body wash to get rid of the smell of chlorine.
I asked my hair dresser about what I should do with my hair before I go swimming and she said nothing add leave in after. I know she is your stylist but the reason why most of us are here is becasue we have been given erroneous information. SHE WAS WRONG, if you follow her advice your hair will be FLUCKED UP!!!
Apply more evco afterwards and if you can a bit of avocado oil. The reason is evco will may make your hair hard and the avo oil will soften it right up. You wont need a leave-in after this. If you want to you can but its not necessary.
Does this make any sense????? YUP!!!

Ugh

PrettyinPink001

Girl at first I was all kind of confused reading that post. LOL Then I realized it came from your phone so the posting will not look the same.

Ok now that we got that out the way I can answer:
My answers are in red[/QUOTE]

Girl your post was hard to follow, because I can't see the red lettering on my phone. But I got you! Thanks a million!

Congrats on learning to swim, O.

Co-signing on wearing a swim cap to minimize chlorine exposure and keep oil/condish in.

Back