Any straight hair naturals with Apl length or longer.

I'm a straight haired natural at MBL. I've been wearing my hair in predominantly straight styles for maybe a year and a half now.
My first caveat is that I grew all my length before becoming a straight haired natural. I choose to sacrifice significant growth now for style. I also live in an incredibly humid environment. My second caveat is that my hair is very resistant to heat. I was actively trying to heat damage it by flat ironing once a week for three months and my curl pattern didn't change. I went to a salon that flat ironed my hair the straightest it has ever been - 8 passes of a flat iron plus 2 passes of a hot comb. Curl pattern didn't change. This may be because I'm also henna-treated.

Okay after that preamble:
Currently my hair is keratin treated and has been for about 4 months.
If I'm just blow drying (which I do with the RevAir dryer) I wash weekly.
I use Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, followed up by Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Treatment for 5-10 minutes, then Keracare Humecto Conditioner for an hour with heat. For leave-ins I use Aveda Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother and It's a Ten with Keratin. Then I use whatever else I want to style my hair. I moisturize throughout the week with whatever I want, usually Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Treatment.

If I'm flat ironing I wash less frequently, maximum every two weeks, minimum monthly. I also add Silicon Mix to the Humecto Conditioner. After the blow dry I use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny to flat iron. After the flat iron I add a bit of grapeseed oil to my ends. I moisturize every so often (maybe once or twice a week) with It's a 10 with Keratin, Keracare Overnight Moisturizer, and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny. I flat iron on 450 degrees.

I also use Olaplex No 3 every so often, probably once a quarter.

My hair is currently very healthy for the regular use of heat but I most likely wouldn't be able to grow my hair to this length with this level of heat.

Last edited:
I wash a deep condition every 7 - 10 days. I wash my hair in 6 sections to prevent tangling. I maintain the same six sections through out the washing, conditioning, detangling, blowdrying and straightening process. After deep conditioning, I apply a silicone based serum to damp hair and blow dry. Next, I use a light heat protectant spray before flat ironing. I maintain my straight hair by putting my hair in 9 large pin curls or by cross wrapping. I tie a scarf around my edges and sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase. I don't moisturize my hair in between wash days. I apply grape seed oil to my ends to keep them lubricated(not daily, as needed). I don't apply heat in between wash days. I take heat breaks. I usually wear box braids in the summer months.

clarifying shampoo: Quantum Clarifying Shampoo

regular shampoo: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Clarifying Shampoo

deep conditioner: Joico Kpak Intense Hydrator

serum applied to damp hair before blow drying: One N' Only Argan Oil Treatment or Kenra Professional Platinum Silkening Gloss

heat protectant spray used before flat ironing: keracare silken seal liquid sheen spray or fantasia ic heat protector straightening spray

blow dryer: Chi Handshot or Rusk W8less

flat iron: Sedu Classic 1.5 inch Flat iron (at 350 degrees) or Sedu Revolution Flat iron (at 340 - 400 degrees), I try to keep my flat irons below 400 degrees. I can get bone straight results with these temperatures. The secret is a smooth straight blow dry.

Last edited:
I've been wearing my hair straight since the pandemic. I wash and dc every other Saturday. When I DC I use my steamer or heat cap or both. I've been using Aveda products while wearing my hair straight: Aveda botanical repair strengthening conditioner, Aveda botanical repair leave-in conditioner, and using Aveda smooth infusion prior to blowdrying. When I blow-dry, I use the tension method and divide it into 8 sections (sections of 4 and then divide those 4 sections in half). I flat iron using the Babybliss (b/c of a thread I read here on LHCF) and I use Aveda Brilliant Anti-humectant pomade and Aveda Brilliant finishing gloss. When I get ready for bed, I wrap my hair (in a circle) and it stays straight for 2 weeks.

My hair length is b/w MBL and WL (grazing WL), hair type is 4a. In the past 2 weeks, I finally learned how to combat the frizzies and poofy hair :yay:

Next week I plan to hide my hair for awhile to gain about 4 more inches. But, I have not experienced any breakage or heat damage.

I'm a straight haired natural at MBL. I've been wearing my hair in predominantly straight styles for maybe a year and a half now.
My first caveat is that I grew all my length before becoming a straight haired natural. I choose to sacrifice significant growth now for style. I also live in an incredibly humid environment. My second caveat is that my hair is very resistant to heat. I was actively trying to heat damage it by flat ironing once a week for three months and my curl pattern didn't change. I went to a salon that flat ironed my hair the straightest it has ever been - 8 passes of a flat iron plus 2 passes of a hot comb. Curl pattern didn't change. This may be because I'm also henna-treated.

Okay after that preamble:
Currently my hair is keratin treated and has been for about 4 months.
If I'm just blow drying (which I do with the RevAir dryer) I wash weekly.
I use Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, followed up by Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Treatment for 5-10 minutes, then Keracare Humecto Conditioner for an hour with heat. For leave-ins I use Aveda Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother and It's a Ten with Keratin. Then I use whatever else I want to style my hair. I moisturize throughout the week with whatever I want, usually Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Treatment.

If I'm flat ironing I wash less frequently, maximum every two weeks, minimum monthly. I also add Silicon Mix to the Humecto Conditioner. After the blow dry I use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny to flat iron. After the flat iron I add a bit of grapeseed oil to my ends. I moisturize every so often (maybe once or twice a week) with It's a 10 with Keratin, Keracare Overnight Moisturizer, and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny. I flat iron on 450 degrees.

I also use Olaplex No 3 every so often, probably once a quarter.

My hair is currently very healthy for the regular use of heat but I most likely wouldn't be able to grow my hair to this length with this level of heat.

Thank you. Honestly at my age I’m almost 50 and I don’t want to use relaxers anymore and prefer the press and curl as an option. Having mbl hair sounds lovely but I know it most be time consuming

I wash a deep condition every 7 - 10 days. I wash my hair in 6 sections to prevent tangling. I maintain the same six sections through out the washing, conditioning, detangling, blowdrying and straightening process. After deep conditioning, I apply a silicone based serum to damp hair and blow dry. Next, I use a light heat protectant spray before flat ironing. I maintain my straight hair by putting my hair in 9 large pin curls or by cross wrapping. I tie a scarf around my edges and sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase. I don't moisturize my hair in between wash days. I apply grape seed oil to my ends to keep them lubricated(not daily, as needed). I don't apply heat in between wash days. I take heat breaks. I usually wear box braids in the summer months.

clarifying shampoo: Quantum Clarifying Shampoo

regular shampoo: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Clarifying Shampoo

deep conditioner: Joico Kpak Intense Hydrator

serum applied to damp hair before blow drying: One N' Only Argan Oil Treatment or Kenra Professional Platinum Silkening Gloss

heat protectant spray used before flat ironing: keracare silken seal liquid sheen spray or fantasia ic heat protector straightening spray

blow dryer: Chi Handshot or Rusk W8less

flat iron: Sedu Classic 1.5 inch Flat iron (at 350 degrees) or Sedu Revolution Flat iron (at 340 - 400 degrees), I try to keep my flat irons below 400 degrees. I can get bone straight results with these temperatures. The secret is a smooth straight blow dry.

How long have you been following this regimen? Are you able to retain length?

I've been wearing my hair straight since the pandemic. I wash and dc every other Saturday. When I DC I use my steamer or heat cap or both. I've been using Aveda products while wearing my hair straight: Aveda botanical repair strengthening conditioner, Aveda botanical repair leave-in conditioner, and using Aveda smooth infusion prior to blowdrying. When I blow-dry, I use the tension method and divide it into 8 sections (sections of 4 and then divide those 4 sections in half). I flat iron using the Babybliss (b/c of a thread I read here on LHCF) and I use Aveda Brilliant Anti-humectant pomade and Aveda Brilliant finishing gloss. When I get ready for bed, I wrap my hair (in a circle) and it stays straight for 2 weeks.

My hair length is b/w MBL and WL (grazing WL), hair type is 4a. In the past 2 weeks, I finally learned how to combat the frizzies and poofy hair :yay:

Next week I plan to hide my hair for awhile to gain about 4 more inches. But, I have not experienced any breakage or heat damage.

Your siggy picture is beautiful.

How long have you been following this regimen? Are you able to retain length?
At least 10 years, right now I have long layers, shortest layer app, longest layer bsl. I used to be mbl. I had to cut some heat damaged ends from trying a titanium flat iron. I have been in braids most of this year because it’s been easier. I maintain my length around bsl because it’s easier to maintain healthy ends at that length. I would have to give up heat if I want waist length hair.

Last edited:
Thank you. Honestly at my age I’m almost 50 and I don’t want to use relaxers anymore and prefer the press and curl as an option. Having mbl hair sounds lovely but I know it most be time consuming
Thank you! Honestly it was more time consuming when I didn't use heat. Now I devote 5-6 hours to wash day and maybe an hour total per week to my hair. This is the only way I can look how I want to look without spending hours and hours on my hair.

Thank you! Honestly it was more time consuming when I didn't use heat. Now I devote 5-6 hours to wash day and maybe an hour total per week to my hair. This is the only way I can look how I want to look without spending hours and hours on my hair.

same, my straight hair is predictable. styling takes less than 10 minutes. I spend the same amount of time prepping for bed.

Back