Any relaxed ladies using pure shea butter?

TBird

I know there have been numerous threads about this. I ordered some pure shea butter. Its really hard and kinda flaky, is the way it should be? Also how in the world do I use it on my hair? Do I heat it? It doesn't spread well in its natural state and I don't want buildup, but I've heard a lot of people say it really helps make their hair soft. What do I do? TIA

I don't use it, but I used to. I used to mix it with an oil and maybe a light conditioner and warm it a little in the microwave. Apply it as a preshampoo.

Tracy I can always count on you to respond to my posts.
smile.gif

What benefits did you get from using it and why don't you use it anymore?

I heat it a little & use it in freshly washed hair and let it air dry. I also use it on my daughters ( she has natural hair ) hair to air dry+ its great as a pressing oil too.

The only reason I don't is because I like pure unrefined shea butter and it's hard to find. When I do find it, I use it. Just not regularly. It's a great preshampoo. it's too heacvy for my hair undiluted and applied after a wash.

Happy to help, girlie!
smile.gif

So does this make sense. I can heat it, maybe mix it with my coconut oil and Suave conditioner as a preshampoo. Carletta does it make your hair soft when you heat it and apply it? I just have a ton of it and I want to use it up. Thanks ladies for the tips.

I used the pure shea and mixed w/ rosemary oil and a little EVOO last year. I heated it in the microwave and used it after my washes. It was nice. I just never bought anymore.

I use it on my ends. I just rub ut between my finger to let it melt a little, and then put it on.

Ive been using shea butter on my relaxed hair for almost a year. I buy a big chunk of it from the African market in my neighborhood, melt some down mix it with other oils and use it as a sealer. I loooove the stuff. It's definitely worth the buy TBird.

When I was relaxed, I used it too. It was wonderful! I would just take a little bit in my hand to warm it, mix it with a little oil and put on on my hair before I wrapped it and went to sleep. When I would unwrap in the morning it would be soft and shiny:-)

Okay, so all I need is a little bit. I can melt it down maybe mix my coconut oil and jojoba, spread it through my hair and do my twists for a twistout. This will work? If I use it on my ends for the baggie method will this cause buildup on the ends?

[ QUOTE ]
NaturalRox said:
Tracy, do you have a Whole Foods supermarket in your area? It's sold there!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I do. As soon as I learn to drive, I'm gonna check.
smile.gif

Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
TBird said:
So does this make sense. I can heat it, maybe mix it with my coconut oil and Suave conditioner as a preshampoo. Carletta does it make your hair soft when you heat it and apply it? I just have a ton of it and I want to use it up. Thanks ladies for the tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it incredibly soft but don't over do it! shea butter is very oily, but absorbs very well !!!! I keep this stuff on hand at all times, and i to only use the pure unrefined
also !
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
TBird said:
Okay, so all I need is a little bit. I can melt it down maybe mix my coconut oil and jojoba, spread it through my hair and do my twists for a twistout. This will work? If I use it on my ends for the baggie method will this cause buildup on the ends?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that would work fine. I never used the baggie method but I don't think it would cause buildup worse than anything else. And like Carletta said, don't overdo it, you don't want a greasy head..

<font color="purple">I've got my sample of 100% unrefined shea butter in the mail today along with a sample of shea mango butter. I won it through ebay a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to mix it with some ORS carrot oil and Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner. This is going to be applied to my freshly washed hair as a leave in. I'm going to wear my hair in a loose bun and covered with my silk scarf at night. Can't wait for the results in the morning. Stay tuned to find out. </font>

I found that shea butter pomades, in particular, Ebene Naturals Hair and Scalp Conditioner, worked well on relaxed hair. I guess the mixuture of the butter and lighter oils made it not as heavy and regular shea alone.

Ladies I did it!!! I did my twists last night and added a tiny tiny bit of shea butter and my hair is very soft and very shiny. I happy with the results and will continue using this on my ends if no where else. Thanks bunches!!!!

Back