Any rec's for a protein, cone free moisturizing shampoo?

pinkchocolatedaisy

I have the Blended Beauty Soy cream shampoo and while I like that one, it's kinda pricey to me (18.50 for 8 oz). I was on naturallycurly.com and I saw the Elucence MB and that one sounds good but it has protein but I heard it is pretty good. And you can get a liter for $12. I"m kinda leaning towards that one but Idk... I am trying to limit my cones/protein usage. How has this one worked for you, especially natural ladies? And if any of you (natural, relaxed, texlaxed) know of ANY shampoo that meets the above criteria I'm requesting, please offer your suggestions!

thanks!

ETA: I would like it to be sulfate free too!

Last edited:
1. Oyin Honey Wash...it's castile soap based with added honey and oils. Great. But you have to wait for it be shipped.
2. Castile Soap (Dr. Bronners or whomever)...Easily accessible. Lasts forever. Should be diluted with water and you can add your favorite oil as well. Works like a charm. Make sure to dilute, I did 1/4 castile soap and 3/4 water.
3. Add baking soda to a cowash conditioner. Cleans your hair but leaves it moisturized as well. I used to do this with my Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner. As well as my Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture conditioner.
4. Baking soda & water mix. Cheap, easy to do. Doesn't dry my hair out but others have found it drying. It could be because I use so much castor oil in my hair. I use a palmful of baking soda to 16oz of water.

I've used all of the above and they worked well for me. I've heard that the Burt's Bees Raspberry and Brazil Nut Moisturizing Shampoo works well and doesn't dry out the hair, but I've never used it. I've also heard the Johnson's Baby Shampoo works well for some people. And you don't have to order those, they have them both at Target.

I haven't tried those baking soda methods but I did try Dr Bonners- and I didn't like it at all- totally stripped my hair - and I diluted it too. Just didn't work out for me. Now I dilute and use as a hand soap. :grin:

I haven't tried those baking soda methods but I did try Dr Bonners- and I didn't like it at all- totally stripped my hair - and I diluted it too. Just didn't work out for me. Now I dilute and use as a hand soap. :grin:

I know a couple people add oil to theirs so that it's more moisturizing. The Oyin Honey Wash is sooooooooo much better than regular Castile soap though. And, it is a body wash too. I need order more actually. I just hate ordering.

Anyway, if you try baking soda just make sure not to use too much. That can back fire. Try a tablespoon or two with your conditioner and see how that works and then add more if needed.

ETA: Elucence has C-14 C-16 Olefin Sulfonate, which is considered a "natural" surfactant, like SLS. And it can be just as drying as regular sulfates. That's why lots of people don't like most "natural" shampoos like giovanni and aubrey's.

Last edited:
I love Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo & Conditioner. They both contain milk proteins, egg white proteins, coconut oil, and other great things. And they smell amazing! The shampoo leaves the hair feeling clean, moisturized and strong at the same time.

I love Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo & Conditioner. They both contain milk proteins, egg white proteins, coconut oil, and other great things. And they smell amazing! The shampoo leaves the hair feeling clean, moisturized and strong at the same time.

thanks for sharing this! I will check them out!:yep:

Back