Any Other Naturals With ALOT Of Split Ends?

MizzBrit

trimming doesn't help,my hair is in a protective style about 80% of the time,i dont use heat,i do protein treatments,i always focus on my ends with moisture,sealing and conditioning...but idk, its like my hair is prone to split ends,mid shaft splits,holes and now..knots.i really haven't noticed a stunt in my progress but seeing how splits gets a bad rap on hair boards..i was wondering..should i be worried?

trimming doesn't help,my hair is in a protective style about 80% of the time,i dont use heat,i do protein treatments,i always focus on my ends with moisture,sealing and conditioning...but idk, its like my hair is prone to split ends,mid shaft splits,holes and now..knots.i really haven't noticed a stunt in my progress but seeing how splits gets a bad rap on hair boards..i was wondering..should i be worried?​

I used to have the mid shaft splits when I first started my hair journey. I think it was due to my dry hair. I deep condition overnight a lot (usually on the weekends) and whole head baggy throughout the day under my wigs and that has helped me.

Yeah I got rid of most of them by trimming my hair after its been straighten, i still have a few single strand knots.. I concentrate everything on the ends of my hair now i see a huge improvement.

For my own hair I find that I get more split ends and knots when I always let my hair air dry. I know it goes against what they tell you about heat but sometimes I have to have a little heat to keep away the knots and splits. It wasn't like this when I was relaxed but as a natural occasionally blow drying or flat ironing my hair seems to help for some reason.

My splits always come from lack of moisture. I try to make sure my ends are really moist and not get lazy on them.

My hair seems prone to all kinds of splits too. I'm thinking its chronic dryness, so I joined the baggy challenge to see if that helps.

You've described my situation exactly. I only use heat 2x a year, and after I 'big' chopped about 3-6" I had a head full of splits about 3 months later. I've given up. My hair is braided up all the time, so I don't know what the problem is..I"m telling you I'm amazed that some of these spilts are midshaft spllits. When I got my hair cut, I couldn't find ONE split. How the heck it happens so soon after? Idk.

my hair doesnt feel dry...i moisturize it all the time(2-3 times a day) i also co wash frequently..ive heard it could be connected to my hair type..

You've described my situation exactly. I only use heat 2x a year, and after I 'big' chopped about 3-6" I had a head full of splits about 3 months later. I've given up. My hair is braided up all the time, so I don't know what the problem is..I"m telling you I'm amazed that some of these spilts are midshaft spllits. When I got my hair cut, I couldn't find ONE split. How the heck it happens so soon after? Idk.

and your hair has flourished gorgeously...thats what makes me think its just an inevitable characteristic of 4type hair

This website has helped me in trying to understand why I get all these weird splits.
http://www.naturalhairgrows.com/hair-breakage-TN.html

Read on... :drunk:

Did hair breakage ever shred your hair strand? Read on to find out why….

Natural_Hair_Styles_8.jpg
Question: Should you immediately trim all types of hair breakage? Why or why not?
The answer will allow you to make better decisions about controlling your
hair growth. You may feel that you have no control over this and that you’re at the will of your follicles. However, that’s not true. Remember, the hair that is on your head now is just as important as any new growth. How you care for the hair that’s already here will impact its future length.

Acquired trichorrhexis nodosa :wallbash: (I will use the term TN because that’s a long word), is a loss of the cuticle layers and a shredding of the cortex fibers (Scott, 1988) caused by harsh hair care techniques. So your hair fibers split, but unlike split ends, these splits are in the form of beads all along your hair strand. Each one of these beads is a weak point that can break. Below is a personal rendering of how TN looks (I added a split end for effect):

Acquired_TN_and_Split_Ends.jpg

So should you just cut off the damage??
Now in primarily Afro-Carribean (Dawber, 1998) and black hair (Scott, 1988) researchers noted that these beads occur near the scalp. The beads also occur toward the end of the hair in all races. Now I have them near the end, and cutting these beads isn’t as simple as cutting off split ends. Here’s why.

If you cut the bead on your hair, it will automatically become a split end, so cutting above it is the better option if the TN occurs near the end of your hair strand.

If your TN is near your scalp, you risk cutting off the entire length of the hair. However, knowing the type of TN you have can give you the choice of whether you want to cut your hair if the beads are near the end. Or, you can leave the beads alone and wait till your follicle grows a new strand of hair because cutting TN when it’s near your scalp is self-defeating when you want to grow your hair.

So what in the blue blazes causes TN?
Scott mentions there is usually prior hair straightening in adults who have it or scalp itching and rubbing where children are concerned. In an experiment with a woman who had TN each summer, researchers recreated TN copying the effects of shampooing, brushing, sea bathing and sunlight in the lab. Chemical hair straightening also has been a noted cause of TN (Dawber, 1998, p.245).

Scott (1988) also pointed out that TN is something that appears over time so it’s not one single incident that causes TN, but the gradual effect of all of these techniques. And, as we all know shredding your cortex fibers can’t lead to natural hair growth.

:drunk: last bit...:drunk:

How do I get rid of the dreaded TN?
Treatment of this type of hair breakage includes suspension of grooming techniques that harm the hair. What is recommended is the use of conditioner, avoidance of traction, heat and chemical processes (Dawber, 1998).

Read why this styling technique can contribute to the hair breakage of TN

Also, consult a dermatologist who has knowledge of hair breakage involving tightly curled hair. They will understand all of these different hair strand issues and can help your hair grow to its longest possible length.
Knowing where the TN lies on your hair strand will help you decide whether the hair should be cut or if you should just begin a gentler and more careful grooming routine. It’s up to you. That’s the freedom.
Growth of natural hair should put you in the driver’s seat when it comes to caring for any type of hair breakage your strands sustain. Whether it happened in your former life like me when I colored and blow fried my hair, or it is happening right now as you continue to use heated styling. Awareness is key because with that knowledge you can call the shots with your hair care.

It's inevitable. Our hair strands naturally curl or mat onto each other which leads to all sorts of tangles and mangles that are out of our individual control. Combing exacerbates this and can lead to more splits on tangled hair. I've come to accept this in my natural state. The most one can do to minimize the splitting is get professional trims throughout the year and continue to moisturize moisturize moisturize those ends and hair strands.

Last edited:
Are your strands particularly fine or particularly thick? Do you brush your hair regularly? I get splits so rarely, I see one on average once a month or two. I don't know what the critical factors are, though.

I have those bubble splits posted above, but I don't have 'harsh' practises or techniques.

Neither do I, so I'm like, :ohwell:

Do you twist/braid your hair alot?
I ask b/c of this:
How do I get rid of the dreaded TN?
Treatment of this type of hair breakage includes suspension of grooming techniques that harm the hair. What is recommended is the use of conditioner, avoidance of traction, heat and chemical processes (Dawber, 1998).

Strands rubbing against each other, especially if you twist/braid dry can cause this.

Are your strands particularly fine or particularly thick? Do you brush your hair regularly? I get splits so rarely, I see one on average once a month or two. I don't know what the critical factors are, though.

Please share your technique.

Please share your technique.

I wish I could. I don't know what I'm doing or not doing right or wrong. I don't even know if it's something about how my hair naturally is, and not something I'm doing or not doing. Do you get a lot of splits? Is your hair very fine? Do you brush or comb often? How often, and with what combs or brushes?

I wish I could. I don't know what I'm doing or not doing right or wrong. I don't even know if it's something about how my hair naturally is, and not something I'm doing or not doing. Do you get a lot of splits? Is your hair very fine? Do you brush or comb often? How often, and with what combs or brushes?

I get a handful, at least given what I've seen. I can't really see the back of my hair but the front strands do split.

I don't brush very regularly but I do comb. For wash-n-gos I'd wet, slather conditioner then comb and if on dry hair, I'd spritz the scalp and hair, oil the hair, add butter/moisturizer and then proceed to comb from tips to root.

I can't see myself not combing daily given how much I do shed...and well, my hair feels better and looks better when combed. :ohwell:

ETA: Fine hair, I suppose. Like if I put it into a ponytail or protective style my hair doesn't look massive. But when out, its super thick and large. That's fine, right?

@ MiteyChick

Not really. Actually I saw a reduction in those wacky splits the first time I got a weave last September. My hair remained cornrowed for 8 weeks. Before getting the weave, I did a heavy search and destroy.

After I took the weave out, of course, my hair still looked good as new and my hair didn't need an excessive trim.

I credit this to my hair being taking care of sufficiently beforehand, then put to rest for 8 weeks without combing, washing, mangling, tangling, stretching, brushing, snapping, popping :spinning:

Ever since then, I've been searching and destroying with a vengeance!
It's only when I do too much that I see those 'hole in the walls'.

It's funny though, when my stylist and fab weave guru left a section of hair out only to straighten it out of curiousity with a little argan oil, you couldn't tell splits were even there. Very deceiving, but it made it easier to find more. I didn't lose length and it didn't make me feel better to know they showed up with all the S&D missions I went on, but it felt great getting rid of those pesky splits!

hair!.jpg hair2.jpg

Last edited:
sometimes combs with seams can tear and rip strands, causing splits and breakage.
i just recently purchased my first seamless(bone) combs and i hope they aid in reducing splits.they cost a little more, but i think they might be a good investment.hope this helps a little.lol.

I get a handful, at least given what I've seen. I can't really see the back of my hair but the front strands do split.

I don't brush very regularly but I do comb. For wash-n-gos I'd wet, slather conditioner then comb and if on dry hair, I'd spritz the scalp and hair, oil the hair, add butter/moisturizer and then proceed to comb from tips to root.

I can't see myself not combing daily given how much I do shed...and well, my hair feels better and looks better when combed. :ohwell:

ETA: Fine hair, I suppose. Like if I put it into a ponytail or protective style my hair doesn't look massive. But when out, its super thick and large. That's fine, right?

I usually lurk but when I read this post I thought bingo I know what the problem is. I'm not a natural hair expert, but I think you found your culprit. i don't think natural hair should be combed daily. Combing causes constant friction and opprotunities for uneven breakage of the strands that can cause splits. At most you should comb your hair every 3 days no more than that. I only comb every 2 weeks and I dust every 3 months and rarely get splits. I've actually never known a natural to comb every day. I would try to comb less and only on wet hair saturated with conditioner.

Do you twist/braid your hair alot?
I ask b/c of this:

Strands rubbing against each other, especially if you twist/braid dry can cause this.
My hair is in twists or braids 90% of the time, but I don't redo my hair often. I retwist every 2 weeks, but I'm stretching that now to every 4 weeks.

I might need to learn to roller set faster than I thought (but then, that's bringing in heat:perplexed)

I have fine strands. I don't brush. When I comb its with a bone comb, and it's a rare activity.

I usually lurk but when I read this post I thought bingo I know what the problem is. I'm not a natural hair expert, but I think you found your culprit. i don't think natural hair should be combed daily. Combing causes constant friction and opprotunities for uneven breakage of the strands that can cause splits. At most you should comb your hair every 3 days no more than that. I only comb every 2 weeks and I dust every 3 months and rarely get splits. I've actually never known a natural to comb every day. I would try to comb less and only on wet hair saturated with conditioner.

Thanks for your recommendation, wantsthecurlsback. But how are you able to not comb and have hair that looks presentable? What styles works for your hair that do not require combing up to 13/14 days? I'm impressed.

OP if you have to moisturize your hair 2-3x a day, you hair could be porous.
2-3x a day seems pretty excessive, my hair is really porous...but heat helps with that, and making sure that you seal the cuticle also. Try porosity control, and rinsing your condishes out in cold h2o as cold as you can stand it...

My hair has tons of splits. I don't comb and rarely use heat. When I do blowdry it's always on cool. Lack of moisture is the only thing I can think of but I've been trying to get my hair moisturized for 2+ years now so Iunno.

I think I'm a bit batty coz I don't look for splits. I just dust regularly and trust that it takes care of the issue. *shrug* From history, it seems when I do that, my hair grows with a uniform thickness that I like, from base to ends. I prefer that to holding onto thin ends.

Mwedzi, I think from your styles it's very clear you don't manipulate your hair a lot. I think that's what keeps your strands happy. You seem to have fully mastered how to handle your hair. :notworthy

I also have never understood the love for brushes. To me it seems like they'd rip through your strands. Coz isn't that why wide tooth combs are so popular coz they separate strands without actually scraping along the body of the strands. In other words, the teeth go in between groups of hair. A brush just seems to me like it'd be applying friction from base to ends of the strand and thus creating weak spots.

sometimes combs with seams can tear and rip strands, causing splits and breakage.
i just recently purchased my first seamless(bone) combs and i hope they aid in reducing splits.they cost a little more, but i think they might be a good investment.hope this helps a little.lol.

I was just gonna say that. :yep: Long before I knew split ends can be caused by heat or drying, I learned about how seams of plastic combs can tear the strands and that it was better to file the seams. That's why before I ever bought a seamless comb, I used the metal pick with a fist. I was always careful to to avoid getting my hair close to the plastic base...because of the seam there.

:yep: Another good point. If you think about it, a lot of naturals grow their hair when they wear it in twists or braids or weaves. Minimal manipulation means less wear and tear and therefore less breakage, more retention. Besides that, there are styles like twist-outs/twist-outs which are simple and don't require you to comb your hair if braids/twists aren't your thing.

i want hair like yours:rolleyes:

i do not brush my hair ..my strands are thick

Back