Any naturals/Transitioners who flat iron or used to flat iron regularly?

chayil0427

Hey ladies...a wee small voice inside me is wanting to go natural or at least do a really long stretch to see what's what. I was wondering if there are any naturals who flat iron regularly. Anyone who used flat ironing as a method to manage textures during transitioning?

So if the flat iron has been part of your natural journey...post up and let me know the details.

Chayil

Hi :wave: I'm fairly new..I can give you some info..but I'm sure the old timers will be jumping in and giving you some good advice pretty soon.
I am 100% natural, and I flat iron about 5-6 times a year.

This is how I go about it.

1. Blow dry (in about 8 sections) with a few drops of BIOSILK serum
2. take small sections of hair and pass through once with my hot comb, then once over with my MAXIGLIDE.
I beleive MAXIGLIDE works wonders as long as you detangle the hair pretty well first. Hope that helps

P.S. Also you may want to search the forum for more information. There is already quite a few threads on here taking about transitioning/flat ironing

I tried flatironing only the new growth as I transitioned but of course I ended up ironing some relaxed areas as well. :ohwell:

I also got frequent trims and cuts along the way.

I've read where some ladies had good transitioning experiences. I'm not one of them. Sorry.

I'm natural and I flat iron my hair regularly, but no more than once a week. I flat ironed it during the transition only after I had achieved a significant amount of new growth. I mainly slicked back my hair and wore a drawstring pony for about a year or two - this really allowed me to keep my hair moisturized and healthy for growth.

Natural hair is more resilient than relaxed, so I think you can definitely get away with straightening it as much as once/week as long as you prep it with heat protectant first.

chayil0427 said:
Hey ladies...a wee small voice inside me is wanting to go natural or at least do a really long stretch to see what's what. I was wondering if there are any naturals who flat iron regularly. Anyone who used flat ironing as a method to manage textures during transitioning?

So if the flat iron has been part of your natural journey...post up and let me know the details.

Chayil

I flat iron, and have been doing it regularly ever since that challenge you started *cough, cough*.:D :D

All you need is a good ceramic iron and a good heat protectant. I rollerset first, then flat iron the newgrowth. I am finding that my flat ironed newgrowth is silkier and prettier than the relaxed/texlaxed hair. I'm almost 6 months in, and it's working for me so far. Oh, I flat iron every 2-3 weeks.

lauren450 said:
I flat iron, and have been doing it regularly ever since that challenge you started *cough, cough*.:D :D

:lachen: :lachen: I plead the fifth. No...I'm thinking about jumping aboard that challenge again and using a flat iron to manage things.

You're definately an inspiration for transitioners...can't wait to see new updates.

Chayil

*bump*

I sweat in my head and my hair reverts quickly. I use CSI... should I use something thicker?

Back