Any naturals that grew their hair past apl wearing it out?

Did you grow your hair past apl w/minimal psing

• Yes I did using braid/twistouts

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Yes I did using wash'n gos/ puffs

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Yes I did using heat like blowouts/pressing/rollersets etc.

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • I grew my hair past Apl using mostly PS

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PinkPeony

Are there any naturals that grew their hair wearing it out alot.
That includes braidouts/twistouts , wash n gos etc.

How long did you grow your hair?

What styles would you wear?

How long did it take you?

What do you think contributed to your success?

How long did you grow your hair? My last relaxer was Feb. 2010 and I BCed Sept. 2010

What styles would you wear? I wear twist/twist-outs 80% of the time, but when I'm not I wear WNG (see avatar)

How long did it take you? When my hair is fully stretched I'm a little past APL in the Back and APL in the front and this took between 15 to 20 months since BC

What do you think contributed to your success? Just leaving it alone and moisturizing/deep conditioning as much as possible.

My answers are in red

What styles would you wear? Twist-outs

How long did it take you? Before my hair got jacked by a scissor happy stylist (to this day, I swear this woman was jealous that I'd managed to grow my hair without the help of any so-called "professionals"), henna treatments (dryness), and pregnancy (I had a miscarriage and I think the hormones caused shedding and then when I had a sucessful pregnancy, my post-partum shedding was a beast!), it took me a year and half to go from chin length to APL...I'm a slow grower...

What do you think contributed to your success? Adding protien to my reggie (I have fine, fine hair), co-washing, moisturizing, sealing and DCing on the REG! Also, eliminating any products containing silicones and behentrionium methosulfate...too much build-up on my hair and I'm strictly a co-washer...

Im still growing mine, trying to get to full MBL in spring 2013.
I wear braids about 3 months out of the year to take a hair break, but other than that I always wear my hair out, I dont much like protective styles.
My go to styles are the bantu-knot out and the two-strand twist out on blown-out dry hair which I re-do nightly, but I may wear it straight(as in flat-ironed) a week out of the month as well, and I still set it using braid/twist-outs, or I out big curls in it that pincurl nightly.

I just learned to handle my hair gently...I blow it out using med heat, and I rarely let it get tangled. No wash and go's, no air-drying, I think that allows me to conquer ssk's and long detangling sessions.

So I have two answers in the poll:
Yes I did using braids/twistouts
&
Yes I did using heat like blowouts/pressing/rollersets

I wash and go primarily. My last relaxer was June '09 and I bc'd 20 months later in February '11. As of today, I'm almost mbl stretched.
My goal is WL.
I contribute my growth to low manipulation.

NL to APL

I do a lot of wash-n-gos, attempted a few braid outs, flat ironed my hair biweekly and occasionally rocked a few buns. I already know what people say "every one is different" and that is true. I didn't have to rock PS the whole time.

I had to get to know my hair so after it was cut to NL in March of last year. I was scraping apl in August. (5 months) Made it a smidgen past APL in December. Altogether it was 9 months.

Deep conditioning, heat protectant, air drying instead of using dbl heat, sealing, wash-n-gos that lasted for a few days. Oh and just letting your hair be helps a lot too.

My hair is now BSL

I am a WnG Queen!!!

I have 2 years of growth on my head. I big chopped in January 2011 after an 8 month transition.

My hair doesn't like protective styling actually. I wear twists sometimes...but they wreak havoc on my ends, so i don't do them often. My hair shrinks up above my shoulders so that in itself is a protective style, imo.

I keep my hair moisturized.:yep:

How long did you grow your hair? I started over from zero (started transitioning) and its a little bit past APL now.

What styles would you wear? Wash and goes, buns when I got enough length, and I rarely do twist-outs/ braid outs. It's mostly wash and goes which last 1-3 days.

How long did it take you? It'll be two years of growing this September. A year and a half since my big chop.

What do you think contributed to your success? Low manipulation, keeping my hair moisturized, only straightening my hair occasionally (once or twice a month max), not being scissor happy, and frequent protein and deep treatments.

Last edited:
Last relaxer-10/2009, BC to 2"-3" 6/2010
styles: Wash n gos and puffs
See siggy for growth time frame; current length in layers, SL to 1" from BSL.
I get best retention by cowashing and wetting my hair daily, and only flat ironing every 3-4 months.

Tried wearing my hair stretched over the summer and did not retain any growth from June to now, so back to wash n gos I go.

Last edited:
yes.
ive been natural for about 3 1/2 years and 99% of that time was spent in wash and goes. co washing everyday to every other day.
a few times i did braid outs and twist outs but that was rare. wash and goes is my go to style.
i straightened my hair this past weekend and i am about an inch from WL.
when my hair is shrunken its to my shoulders.

yes.
ive been natural for about 3 1/2 years and 99% of that time was spent in wash and goes. co washing everyday to every other day.
a few times i did braid outs and twist outs but that was rare. wash and goes is my go to style.
i straightened my hair this past weekend and i am about an inch from WL.
when my hair is shrunken its to my shoulders.

chebaby
wow 3 1/2 yrs? nice, gorgeous hair, any more pics?

Last relaxer-10/2009, BC to 2"-3" 6/2010
styles: Wash n gos and puffs
See siggy for growth time frame; current length in layers, SL to 1" from BSL.
I get best retention by cowashing and wetting my hair daily, and only flat ironing every 3-4 months.

Tried wearing my hair stretched over the summer and did not retain any growth from June to now, so back to wash n gos I go.

MyAngelEyez~C~U What stretched styles did you try? I've made it to APL w/WnGs but I was considering doing braidouts more often. I know we have 2 different heads of hair, but I'm wondering if I should leave well enough alone and stick w/my current styling reggie.

BraunSugar, I banded or did blowouts on low-medium heat and then wore it in a tuck-under bun or banded ponytail. I also used Protective Mist Bodyfier and I don't think that helped _second ingredient is protein. Seems like gelled wash n gos just are just better for my ends...Had a heat wave this summer with temps between 100-112, so my hair stayed dry, no matter what I put in it. I picked a bad time to stop doing wash n gos.

If it aint broke, don't fix it :nono:.

Great thread! Great tips! :)

My mom likes to wear her fro out daily. However, she recently got frustrated and cut back to a twa (without telling me first!).

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

My answers are in red

**SaSSy**

Wow! You're like my natural hair twin! My last relaxer was in Feb 2010 also! :yep:

Also, I cut my hair around the fall time too....I bc'd in October 2010, but my hair is no where NEAR APL like yours. :look: Wonder what I'm doing wrong?? :look: :ohwell:

Have you trimmed your hair since?

I feel like my hair is growing (definitely!), but not as fast as yours. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, because when I pull my hair, it doesn't feel like it's even close to APL!! :nono:

I did mostly wash and go's daily when my hair was short. As it got longer and I could put it into buns and ponytails, I washed my hair less frequently...every other day or every 3 days. I'm not exactly sure when I got APL but I was BSL in January before i cut my hair. That was 3 years after my BC.

i am roughly APL
last relaxer as july 2010
BC was jan 2011

mainly wash and go pufs

about a year and a half

i kept/keep my hair moist...i was/am wetting/spritzing it with a water mixture every day..and washing every few days

I'm Full APL. I got here with mainly WnGs and WnG Puffs. I use heavy sealants and DC as moisturizers to keep my hair protected from the elements and to keep it well moisturized. It took me about 2.5 years to make it here. I probably could have gotten to APL sooner, but I enjoy my hair being out and BIG. I'm bunning until the end of the year though right now so I can keep ALL of my progress. But then I'll probably be back to WnGs even though I wish to try a sew-in soon because I've never had one.

That includes braidouts/twistouts , wash n gos etc.-

How long did you grow your hair? My hair is currently at my shoulder blade which is past APL

What styles would you wear?WASH N GO'S are my go to style see my album, banana clips are my go to wash n go style

How long did it take you? A year and a half. My last texturizer was June 2010 I gradually cut off all my straight ends back in May of 2012

I've been able to grow my hair out TWICE past APL. Moisturizing and low manip is the key. The first time I stopped relaxing in Jan 2005 and grew it to MBL untill June 2010 when I put in a texturizer. But I was abusing my hair so I stopped flat ironing 1-2x a month like I used to. And scraped the texturizer idea. Now I get it done once every 8-12 weeks. I concentrate moisturizing my ends TWICE a day. Once in morn and once before bed. Moisture to me is a water based leave in conditioner NOT OIL. I seal with oil

Back