Any Ladies Henna But DON'T Want Reddish Hair?

Enyo

Ok, so as we speak I'm using Colora Henna. I know that it's not the best, but it's the only thing I could find in the stores that was not the traditional makes-your-hair-more- red henna. I have very strong red undertones and sun exposure or anything with red make me look like Lucy Ricardo.

Does anyone here you henna that has the same properties but doesn't make the hair reddish? If this Colora doesn't work out, I'll be needing to find a new brand.

Thanks!

I've read of adding coffee to tone the color down as well as using molasses to darken the hair. I think amla and maybe brahmi are also supposed to darken hair.

I wonder if you can just use a traditional dark dye to color your hair the desired color after using henna. I have heard that commerciall color may not take after henna, but I don't know of anyone who has tried it.

Last edited:
^^right. if you want the benefits of henna but not the color you should try cassia.

last time i did henna i hated it because it really did a number on my hair color after only one treatment. so i did it again with indigo and my hair was left a beautiful jet black.

when relaxed I used to do henna glosses. didnt allow the colour to release and added henna mix to a moisture condish abt 60 40 henna to condish.

benefits of henn without colour release

Last edited:
You CAN henna and NOT get the red color. I henna every two weeks. The secret is to apply it to your hair right after mixing it. Don't let it sit for hours for the color to release. I don't want red hair so I don't let it sit on my hair for hours, either. I sit under my steamer for 1 hour and rinse it out. NO RED COLOR.

When I get greys around my edges. I add KATAM plant dye to my henna mix on the week I need to dye the greys. Again I steam for 1 hour. I get the henna treatment and my greys are covered.

I use jamila and karishma henna. They are both BAQ.

Steaming has revolutionized my henna treatments and dyeing my hair.

For those that don't allow the color to release...I thought the conditioning benefits of Henna comes from the lawsome which is the same thing that dyes your hair (from hennaforhair.com)

How long does it typically take for the color to release in henna??....I bought a few packages and I already considered doing henna glosses (henna/condish mix) so I wont get the color , but if I can get the full benefits from henna w/o the color I will definately do it the way you mention Pompous Blue...

I have Reshma, and Beauty Herbal Henna w/ coffee....My hair is darn near BLACK and I wanna keep it that way until I get my hands on some indigo...

I also have cassia but I keep hearing that the benefits from cassia dont have much as much staying power as henna does...

another question for those who do HENNA and CASSIA, when do you do both?, how do you go about alternating between the two??

Does doing each every two weeks sound okay? (Henna one week, Cassia the next)

The only parts of my hair that take on a reddish color are they grey stands. My hair is a dark brown, so that part is a reddish highlight.

You CAN henna and NOT get the red color. I henna every two weeks. The secret is to apply it to your hair right after mixing it. Don't let it sit for hours for the color to release. I don't want red hair so I don't let it sit on my hair for hours, either. I sit under my steamer for 1 hour and rinse it out. NO RED COLOR.

When I get greys around my edges. I add KATAM plant dye to my henna mix on the week I need to dye the greys. Again I steam for 1 hour. I get the henna treatment and my greys are covered.

I use jamila and karishma henna. They are both BAQ.

Steaming has revolutionized my henna treatments and dyeing my hair.

That really depends on the henna, and the crop you're using. Some hennas release dye quite quickly. I also use Jamila and after I mix it, I put it right on my head, and guess what? I still get red color. If you want no color, use Cassia. Cassia is not a type of Henna. Henna is a totally different plant than Cassia and they do not give the same properties. Please research before using it!

Thanks to everyone who answered so far. I rinsed the henna out and my hair felt pretty much the same as when I do cassia. I may just go back to that. We'll see how it looks over the next few days. The color looks the same, but my hair is still wet, so we'll see.

For those that don't allow the color to release...I thought the conditioning benefits of Henna comes from the lawsome which is the same thing that dyes your hair (from hennaforhair.com)

@Sherae The proof is the fact that my hair is dyed the brown color of KATAM. If my hair did not take the henna, then my greys would not be dyed brown.

I do the 2-step henna/indigo process on my DH’s hair. I mix and apply the henna. He sits under the steamer for 1 hour. I rinse it out (NO RED COLOR). Then I mix the indigo, apply it and let him steam for 1 hour. PERFECT BLACK hair every time. No color releases and no red color. His greys are perfectly covered. The steam infuses the henna in his hair.

How long does it typically take for the color to release in henna??....I bought a few packages and I already considered doing henna glosses (henna/condish mix) so I wont get the color , but if I can get the full benefits from henna w/o the color I will definately do it the way you mention Pompous Blue....

@Amoreofcurls In the henna for hair e-book, it says henna can color-release in as little as 2 hrs. if you place it in a hot place. So, it takes 2 or more hrs for the color to release. I only let it stay on my hair for 1 hr. Therefore, no color releases. And it's never mixed or stored in a hot place

That really depends on the henna, and the crop you're using. Some hennas release dye quite quickly. I also use Jamila and after I mix it, I put it right on my head, and guess what? I still get red color. If you want no color, use Cassia. Cassia is not a type of Henna. Henna is a totally different plant than Cassia and they do not give the same properties. Please research before using it!
@KnaughtyKurls The color will not release if you don’t let it sit for hours or let it stay on your hair for hours. How long are you leaving it on your hair? I steam with it on my hair for about an hour and this is NOT long enough for the color to release. So, to recap: Mix henna, immediately apply to hair, and immediately sit under the steamer for an hour. Rinse it out. NO RED color at all! An hour is not enough time for the color to release. Effect of henna is achieved w/out dyeing your hair red.

I’m using steam to do my henna treatments. Steam speeds up the process and I don’t get the red color.

If you're getting the strengthening properties of henna, you're getting the dye penetrating into your hair. It's the tannin, Lawsone, in henna that strengthens your hair. Lawsone is a dye.

The shorter the time that henna is on your hair the less of the dye that penetrates. But you get dye penetrating nonetheless.

ETA: I think the idea of "dye release" might be a bit confusing to some. From what I've read, it seems more like a threshold for dye to be released more effectively. However, it DOESN'T mean that no dye at all is released before that.

Last edited:
An hour is indeed long enough for Jamila's dye to release. I let the Jamila dye sit for 30 minutes by itself in a bowl as CuryNikki recommended. I then left it on for only 30 minutes because that was all the time I had. The type of acidifer you use greatly affects the time release for dye as well.

So, my hair feels pretty good right now, and the color is only a tad lighter than my natural color which is fine. Still don't see THAT much of a difference from this and cassia. I have only rinsed it a few times (I wet my hair every other day and Wen every 4-5 days or so), so after I Wen, I'll update this again if I feel a big difference.

Twenty minutes is all you need for the conditioning effect. I'd be very surprised if your hair changes color in that short of a period. If you are blonde - perhaps but you hair is anywhere in the black to dark brown range then no. My hair turned red or developed red undertones over the course of several years of henna treatments and I'd leave it in for 3 hours minimum each time. Still in the first year my hair was nothing but black.

OK, so I'm on my 2nd or third Wen and my hair is looking pretty good. Still, I don't really see the difference between cassia and the henna. Maybe it'll be longer lasting? Cassia lasts me 3 to 4 weeks, so we'll see.

Tiye, I will try a good henna brand next time for 20 minutes or so.

Back