Any 4a/4b naturals that bun? Help please...

Honey-Dip

Hi Ladies,
My hair is SL on its way to APL stretched. I hear the wonderful stories about bunning and the awesome results that it offers. However, I do not know how to bun my hair. Does anyone have any tips that could help me? Help please...

bun on wet hair. it will make it easy to manipulate.
use a scarf to tie down the front for no less than 15 minutes for smooth edges.
try bunning two-strand twists or box braids if you find that easier.

Bumping for more replies.

How do I avoid breakage of my ends when wet bunning? I am just barely SL now and I know twists etc are not for me because of SSK, so I want to try bunning.

I am APL+ and I bun/pony on wet or dry stretched hair. A good brush, water,oil or grease (whatever is handy) & a scarf, keep my bun smooth. If wearing a braided pony I saturate my ends in oil (EVOO or Coconut) & tuck it under.

I'm not a fan of gel on my natural hair...I just don't like the feel it gives me.

I bun on wet or damp hair as well. I spray my hair water bottle (herb infused water, rose water, glycerin and aloe). Moisturize with leave in seal with oil then I either use a ouchless band or banana clip. If I use the band I do one big twist bobby pin my twist or with the clip I tuck my ends under and bobby pin then I use about a nickel size amount of gel around front of my head and scarf until I leave the house. I use to use bobby pins on the strands that would not corporate but I really like the pictures I see of the girls who use those metal snap clips. I have some but I never think to use them. I am queen of frizz so I can not bun without gel. But I am noticing less frizz with ceramides and a final cold rinse after washing and dc my hair.

Do you guys have any pictures of your bun? I am layered apl stretched, shortest layer is shoulder and I still can't make a presentable bun with my hair in its natural state.

My hair gets really frizzy and gives me a kind of 'halo' look when I bun. Well this morning I sprayed my hair to dampen it a little, bunned and applied ORS twist and lock gel on my edges. I then tied down the front with a scarf for about 20 minutes. This worked so much better, as opposed to the gel on dry hair.

my hair is so short. Plus it grows in layers by the time it makes it to the bun, i wind up with a damn poodle turd. when i blow dry, it's very nice. but the moment it reverts, it's a bun alright. but very, very small.

Bumping for more replies.

How do I avoid breakage of my ends when wet bunning? I am just barely SL now and I know twists etc are not for me because of SSK, so I want to try bunning.
make sure to keep on top of your protein treatments. i spray my ends with aphogee keratin + green tea a few times a week (whenever my ends feel weak) since it has protein. stops the breakage right away. other than this, make sure you switch up the placement of your buns and use different accessories to secure them (bobby pins, good hair day pins, elastics, hairzings, chopsticks) so that they are not constantly under the same amount of stress.
Do you ladies use gel or anything to help slick it back/down?
i use aloe vera gel. ecostyler gel is popular. sometimes i use mango butter or avocado butter instead....same scarf trick though.

I bun braidouts, twistouts, or other stretched styles. I usually just loop the hair in a lazy bun (like a pony but don't pull hair all the way through the final loop), then fan it into a round shape and use a couple of bobby pins to secure it that way. I did this from SL and I'm now about BSL still doing it!

Haven't done the wet bun since I was SL, but it's a sleek style when you use a scarf for your edges.

You could try the southern tease bun (do a youtube search) - those are pretty as well.

HTH!

* I bun whilst my hair is damp or wet. No stretching beforehand. I just pull the hair almost all the way through and try to tuck most of the ends in as I can.
* I use non-metal hair bands.
* I usually leave my bun in any time between 2-4 days. If I get bored, I take it down a bit, dampen my hair and then move the bun (e.g - high bun, low bun etc).
* Sometimes I make my hair lay a bit flatter but using some IC Fantasia and gently brushing back with a boar bristle brush before bed and then tying my hair up. In the morning, it's smoothed back - not totally slicked back but smooth enough for my liking.
* I leave a few tendrils out in the front and/or back and define the curl by simply making it damp, adding a little gel and smoothing the hair downwards a little between my fingers. Takes just a few seconds but freshens up the look a bit.

eta: I'm BSB with dense hair.

Last edited:
I co-wash, apply youtubes Kimmaytube leave in conditioner followed by ecostyler 100% olive oil to the entire front portion of my hair. I do not use a brush, I use a tootbrush to gel down the immediate edges in the front and back hairline areas only, and a rat tooth comb to only comb through the first inch of my hair, starting from the hairline. I then spay the ends with ( a mixture glycerine, rose water, aloe vera juice, coconut oil), spay alphogee gree tea keratin and then I wrap a tight doo-rag satin scarf around the front of my hair to flatten the front. I dont sleep in a pony, just because I dont like hair tension when sleeping. Therefore, the entire back of my hair is loose, but pinned up with another satin...a loose satin bonnet.

In the morning, I put hair in an ouchless (no metal) made by goody. I do one, tight double twist, pin it up, then use a scrunchie made of hair around my bun to give it a fuller look. I got the idea from LHCF, Babygurl, she has a picture of it on her site.
Im 10 months post, babyfine 4a/4b, 1 ince to APL. Also, I co-wash in 6 to 8 braids, using olive oil for slip.

I think I've become a professional bunner and I have to agree with the others, it's best to bun while wet. If dry, spray with a water bottle then bun. Make sure your hair is moisturized, especially the ends. I have tons of bun pics in my album.

Back