Anti-Bun

I had the same problem...I always got crazy looks when I wore my bun and little comments (Death to the BUN and things like that). So I came up with a proposal and told the dear sweet fellow that I would wear it down if he would help me with it. He agreed (silly boy!) He was very sweet...washed my hair...conditioned it...rinsed it. Started to blow-dry it...about 1/4 of the way through he starts sweating. Halfway through he has to take a break...3/4 of the way done, he's mumbling to himself. Finally finishes, and he is sooo happy! I looked and said...good job...but now you need to curl it. He goes "put it back in the bun" and I've never heard anything about it since!

Hugs,
Crys

[ QUOTE ]
I had the same problem...I always got crazy looks when I wore my bun and little comments (Death to the BUN and things like that). So I came up with a proposal and told the dear sweet fellow that I would wear it down if he would help me with it. He agreed (silly boy!) He was very sweet...washed my hair...conditioned it...rinsed it. Started to blow-dry it...about 1/4 of the way through he starts sweating. Halfway through he has to take a break...3/4 of the way done, he's mumbling to himself. Finally finishes, and he is sooo happy! I looked and said...good job...but now you need to curl it. He goes "put it back in the bun" and I've never heard anything about it since!

Hugs,
Crys

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good tip (trick) I may have to try this on the hubby. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hugs,
Crys

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, that's a cute story. Men really do need to do some of the things us women do on a daily basis. They'd be more tight lipped if they did.

...and last night I asked him again, why he hated the bun. His story hasn't changed. I may have to try your tip Crys /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hugs,
Crys

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

SweetNic, I'm glad your guy's comment didn't bother you too much. I can't believe he said it seemed like a bun meant you didn't put any preparation into getting ready! Men have weird minds sometimes. /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

I think that's you in your pic, right? I can't tell if you have a short cut or a bun in the pic, but you look very pretty and polished with your hair like that.

Thats how men are.
I wear my hair up about 90% of the time, its just out of habit.
My ex use to say "there you go wit that slick back again", when I pull my hair back.

I don't see how a guy you've been dating only a couple of weeks would feel at home enough to start critiquing your appearance without solicitation (without you asking him what he thought first). And that you would tell him you won't wear it anymore around him is worse. I'm like, this isn't even a committed relationship yet. What would his next demand be? What would be presume his entitlements are?

Anyway, my DH hates braids (extensions), but I wear them sometimes anyway. I figure if a man doesn't have to style the hair, he can indeed have an opinion, but it's not going to hold that much weight.

The oddest thing is, I wear my hair out in pin curls, flexi rod sets and braid outs, my beau says nothing. I noticed that he tells me that i look pretty or beautiful when my hair is in a ponytail or bun. He says he likes it becaue it shows off my eyes. Whereas, I think I look better with my hair loose. Neverthelss, I am wearing a ponytail until the Spring.

My boyfriend hates buns like most men. Everytime we are going out and I want to look extra cute he says "Whatever you do, just don't wear that little ball in the back of your head..."

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how a guy you've been dating only a couple of weeks would feel at home enough to start critiquing your appearance without solicitation (without you asking him what he thought first). And that you would tell him you won't wear it anymore around him is worse. I'm like, this isn't even a committed relationship yet. What would his next demand be? What would be presume his entitlements are?

Anyway, my DH hates braids (extensions), but I wear them sometimes anyway. I figure if a man doesn't have to style the hair, he can indeed have an opinion, but it's not going to hold that much weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same way I feel. I use to rollerset and blow my hair out on occasion(usually winter when humidity drops). All the guys at work would be like "You should wear your hair like that everyday".
I was always like yeah, sure I always have an extra 2 hours in my day that I can devote to hair! Please! Even if I had the time who has the strength to go through that on a daily basis?
I realized they were just clueless to the process. Perhaps they think I can just brush out my curls to make them straight, LOL! Ah, if it were only that simple!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately guys are dumb!

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Yeap, that's so true. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetnic,

If that's you in your avatar, you are a good looking sister and can sport a bun and still look great any day. Anyway, here's my 2 cents. If you two are in a committed relationship, then I'd let his words hold some weight. If not, then um... he really doesn't have the right or the position in your life at this time to tell you about your hairstyles. It sounds like the two of you are dating and not quite in the relationship stage yet. When that time comes, then you can maybe compromise by finding some other cute updo/protective style besides the bun. Good luck /images/graemlins/up.gif

I hope this isn't too off topic...

Did any of you ladies see the episode of The King of Queens where Doug was upset when Carrie started wearing a bun in her hair everyday? He tried to get other people to get her to change it because he was too afraid to say something to her directly. Then he told her to wear her hair out for his high-school reunion, so she wore a bun just to spite him! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif It was hilarious and it reminded me of many posts I've seen here at LHCF.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope this isn't too off topic...

Did any of you ladies see the episode of The King of Queens where Doug was upset when Carrie started wearing a bun in her hair everyday? He tried to get other people to get her to change it because he was too afraid to say something to her directly. Then he told her to wear her hair out for his high-school reunion, so she wore a bun just to spite him! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif It was hilarious and it reminded me of many posts I've seen here at LHCF.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Sounds like something I would do with my stubborn behind!

[ QUOTE ]
SweetNic, I'm glad your guy's comment didn't bother you too much. I can't believe he said it seemed like a bun meant you didn't put any preparation into getting ready! Men have weird minds sometimes. /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

I think that's you in your pic, right? I can't tell if you have a short cut or a bun in the pic, but you look very pretty and polished with your hair like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Renee,
I wasn't bothered by the comment at all - just a little shock that he felt open enough to voice his opinions. I'm the type of sister that doesn't let a guy push me around so I will be wearing my bun again- just to spite him. At the same time, I wouldn't over do it. I want my date to feel good about me and I want to feel good about him. It's just a compromise i guess.

That's me with my little bun in my avatar. Thanks for the compliment /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My boyfriend hates buns like most men. Everytime we are going out and I want to look extra cute he says "Whatever you do, just don't wear that little ball in the back of your head..."

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif That is so funny b/c one time I was walking with my hair in a bun on the top of my head like I usually do in the summer, and this guy screams out "Yo shorty with the ball on top of her head, come here" /images/graemlins/perplexed.gifI was so embarassed.

But anway, I love buns, especially those that sit almost on the top of my head, and I usually wear those all summmer. The buns make me feel beautiful and sexy, I actually hate my hair down. So one day I go for a relaxer and I decide since its not so warm, let me put my hair down. Well my SO other says "Thank goodness you took that bun down, you looked like a space alien hoodrat with it" I was mortified /images/graemlins/shocked.gif! I had always thought I looked classy with it /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif.........

Guys really are very opinionated these days, my SO even said to me the other day " You would look nice with a honey brown hair color" I was like /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a valid point, Options but I didn't take his comment to hear. I guess it was all in his delivery. He made sure to compliment me before he stated what he didn't like. To be honest, I would probably do the same thing. For example, I know I would say something to him if he started growing a mustache. I don't like them and that's not how I met him so I'd tell him about himself /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
The oddest thing is, I wear my hair out in pin curls, flexi rod sets and braid outs, my beau says nothing. I noticed that he tells me that i look pretty or beautiful when my hair is in a ponytail or bun. He says he likes it becaue it shows off my eyes. Whereas, I think I look better with my hair loose. Neverthelss, I am wearing a ponytail until the Spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice. I really think up do's bring out your beauty; whether it be your eyes or cheekbones.

I wonder what men are going to do this fall...updo's are actually in now.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately guys are dumb!

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Yeap, that's so true. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetnic,

If that's you in your avatar, you are a good looking sister and can sport a bun and still look great any day. Anyway, here's my 2 cents. If you two are in a committed relationship, then I'd let his words hold some weight. If not, then um... he really doesn't have the right or the position in your life at this time to tell you about your hairstyles. It sounds like the two of you are dating and not quite in the relationship stage yet. When that time comes, then you can maybe compromise by finding some other cute updo/protective style besides the bun. Good luck /images/graemlins/up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Supergirl. We are still in the early dating phase so even though I will try to be mindful of his likes/dislikes, I'm still doing me.

I probably won't be able to do a bun for the next month or so though - I'm getting a weave for the first time in years /images/graemlins/clap.gif. I'm so excited about a new style + protection for my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif That is so funny b/c one time I was walking with my hair in a bun on the top of my head like I usually do in the summer, and this guy screams out "Yo shorty with the ball on top of her head, come here" /images/graemlins/perplexed.gifI was so embarassed.

But anway, I love buns, especially those that sit almost on the top of my head, and I usually wear those all summmer. The buns make me feel beautiful and sexy, I actually hate my hair down. So one day I go for a relaxer and I decide since its not so warm, let me put my hair down. Well my SO other says "Thank goodness you took that bun down, you looked like a space alien hoodrat with it" I was mortified /images/graemlins/shocked.gif! I had always thought I looked classy with it /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif.........

Guys really are very opinionated these days, my SO even said to me the other day " You would look nice with a honey brown hair color" I was like /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/spank.gif/images/graemlins/spank.gif

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif This makes me think of the video girl post. It's like men are so used to seeing certain things that they feel like we must have it to be attractive. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif I was just thinking the other day that we (all women) could do all the things that we know guys think of as sexy and probably pull every man we see, but it's sad that a lot of men just can't take natural beauty anymore. /images/graemlins/nono.gif Sometimes I think they just want us to be these perfect little manequins, perfect hair, make-up, clothes, and no worries at all. Well, dammit we're all human and they are too, though you wouldn't know with all the self-improvement they want us to do, while they do none.

OKAY, RANT OVER! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/spank.gif/images/graemlins/spank.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell him that your name is NOT Beyonce! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we have the same boyfriend? lol! My boyfriend suggested the same thing to me. I actually did try to go a little lighter (was curious since I've never had light colored hair as to how I would look) and my hair ended up falling out AND I didn't like the color. Well, I just said screw it the other day and died it JET BLACK. I told him I was dyeing my hair back dark and you shoulda heard the fuss over how I didn't really know if it looked bad or not and it really looked good and to just wait a little while becasue I would get used to it. Um NO. Back to black it is and I'm very much happier!!!

<font color="blue"> Wow, I didn't realize that many women who wear buns have this type of issue with the men in the lives. My DH is actually very supportive. He knows what I'm trying to accomplish with my bun, so he expects to see it everyday. When I actually do straighten and wear my hair down, he definately shows his appreciation. He loves the attention that I get and the haterade other guys throw at him when we go out, but according to him, "it's all good" /images/graemlins/grin.gif </font>

I feel sexiest with my hair straight directly after a rollerset. But a week later when it's fallen into flat, stringy-looking clumps that I don't feel like combing to restore strand separation, I'm ready to bun it again.

When I have a lot of work to do, the bun is perfect. I tend to run my fingers through my hair absent-mindedly if it's down and straight.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we have the same boyfriend? lol! My boyfriend suggested the same thing to me. I actually did try to go a little lighter (was curious since I've never had light colored hair as to how I would look) and my hair ended up falling out AND I didn't like the color. Well, I just said screw it the other day and died it JET BLACK. I told him I was dyeing my hair back dark and you shoulda heard the fuss over how I didn't really know if it looked bad or not and it really looked good and to just wait a little while becasue I would get used to it. Um NO. Back to black it is and I'm very much happier!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif RealLuv I swear everything you say sounds like me! I have always had my hair jet black until about 2 months ago when I dyed it lighter to seem a bit different to my SO. Well this past weekend I went back to jet black b/c I hated the lighter color. My SO went beserk /images/graemlins/mad.gif telling me that "I should have consulted with him first" He loved my other hair color better........ /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif RealLuv I swear everything you say sounds like me! I have always had my hair jet black until about 2 months ago when I dyed it lighter to seem a bit different to my SO. Well this past weekend I went back to jet black b/c I hated the lighter color. My SO went beserk /images/graemlins/mad.gif telling me that "I should have consulted with him first" He loved my other hair color better........ /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, this is just getting ridiculous! Now a few years ago I don't think the guys were all about lighter colored hair. Could it be todays media icons? Who says the way a female celeb wears her hair or alters her body doesn't have any impact on society?
I don't know, maybe its a coincidence. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. SweetNic, don't change your looks for someone you've only known for a couple of weeks. He's just trying to see how much you're willing to change for him. He's testing you! Just know that you are beautiful regardless of how you wear your hair.

SweetNic you are beautiful, I can really see you features in your avatar. He's crazy... Just keep doing you..

My hair is in a bun 99.99% of the time out of habit.
The guys I've dated have never said anything about it. It gives them something to gawk at when I press it out and it's hanging down my back. I can't spoil them ya know.

I think women who wear there hair down ALL the time, and are scared to cut it, hide behind their hair because they might not be as attractive without it. You are truly beautiful when you can wear your hair in a bun, chop it all off and still pull guys right and left.

I hope I didn't offend anybody it's just my opinion.

Back