anthony dickey method

I've also been doing this. My shirts have a permanent wet spot on the back though I like the outcome. I wore it out but got too hot. Here's my ponytaiil. I like the definition.

Attachments

• pony.jpg
    pony.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 196
Ok, Ive tried part of this method: I now apply my conditioner to hair that has been hand squeezed instead of towel dried. I then apply my conditioner. While it takes longer for my hair to dry ( I dont use a blow dryer), my hair looks freaking fabulous!!!!!

When the weather cools I am going to sit under a warm dryer and pull my hair out with my fingers as it dries, so it wont get so shrunken.

Yeah, to my natural hair looking and feeling fabulous.

Does anyone use this method and sit under a Pibbs to dry? I'm terrified of my hair blowing up into the fan because of the "upward" air motion.

Does anyone use this method and sit under a Pibbs to dry? I'm terrified of my hair blowing up into the fan because of the "upward" air motion.
I do but I hate it. I have to use a hair net to keep my hair getting sucked up and that makes my hair flat. I have in the past sat under there backwards with my hair hanging down and a net over the back and that helps with volume.

I tried this method a few times and liked the results. I thought I was doing it right until I went to the salon.....OMG!!! Dickey worked on my hair and I swore he put a texturizer in or something! My hair was laid down, defined and soft. My home results was NEVER like at home. To be honest, it was so smooth and defined that I had them mess it up a little more to add some volume back. This method is fantastic. I bought the entire line of products that they used on me but I definitely want to see if it will work the same with other (cheaper) products now that I really know how to do it.

Do you think the beginning steps of this technique could be used to make a more defined braidout? Any unstretched style is tangle city for me :nono:

This is kind of getting to be a problem. I am getting addicted to my own curls, but I hate having a wet scalp all day long. Plus isn't it easier to take care of your ends using a braidout?

Yesterday's wng was really successful. Except for the ucky feeling of a wet scalp all day long. Still this is a cool trick.

They put me under the dryer for about 30 minutes THEN diffuser in the back AND I still had a few damp spots. But my WNG's always take two days to dry regardless of the method being used.

No one here uses a diffuser? That will help alleviate walking around with a wet scalp. Even if you're just applying cool air to your scalp and not the actual hair it won't mess up the results at all.

^^For my normal wng's I do sometimes but diffusing annoys me cuz it takes too long. Sometimes I take the diffuser off and just use the blow dryer. With this method my hair is so wet and loaded with product I think my arms would go numb trying to diffuse. It'd be like trying to blow dry a soaking wet towel lol.

just posted in wash n go thread about this. On Thursday I did this method but I don't think I followed all steps. I did it early in the morning. Sectioned hair in four. Co washed with Suave daily clarifying conditioner. Rinsed. Applied a good amount of tresseme natural conditioner. Detangle. Rinsed but not completely. Applied oil, then gel. (Think I forgot my styler?? But wouldn't tresseme be the styler?) Bentu knotted that section to keep hair stretched. Took knots out, smoothed hair, dunked head under shower real quick, then shook my head. Done. Drove to work with towel around my shoulders, windows and sunroof down, for an hour commute. Hair was still wet! Not damp, wet! All day! The first day was fine but second day hair was dry at the roots, shrunken, and poofy! :nono: don't think I will try again. Wethead all day and evening is not for me.

Attachments

• 20140814_112713.jpg
    20140814_112713.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 20140815_225513.jpeg
    20140815_225513.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 211
I loooove this.
Every year I say I want to try and WNG in the summer months but always have an excuse.
My biggest & latest excuse (but it makes sense lol) is my stringy ends. I have to get rid of the heat damage ends and then I'll attemp this. In fact, I'll give this salon a visit to see how they manage my hair first. Yes! another goal for next summer! Ssssweet!

I totally do this with my hair. Sans blowdryer.
And I agree, it's technique > product. My curls have done a 180 since I began co-washing daily, finger detangling and applying product in the shower to sopping wet hair. My wash N go's used to end in ssk's. No longer an issue. The key is truly coating your hair, not disrupting the curl pattern after conditioning (I.e- combing/brushing) and not trying to go several days before co-washing again (hair tightens as it dries out/frizzes & leads to knots).

I don't like gunky hair; I layer KCKT beneath EVOO beneath flaxseed gel. Touchable, has movement, volume & definition. Non-sticky, non-greasy, and co-washes clean. I think more women would be pleasantly surprised by their hair after trying this method.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I've been pleasantly surprised using this method as well. When I first chopped I had serious issues with frizz. After learning to finer detangle and adding product in the shower, its like I have a new head of hair!

I've been experimenting with this method this week. I liked my hair yesterday. Today not so much. Yesterday I used my denman brush after I put on my leave in conditioner and then applied my styler then diffused for about 10-15 minutes. It was still damp but it was fine. I get some shrinkage doing it this way so I decided to change it up. This morning I decided to try not using my denman brush I just detangled using my shower comb and fingers. Then applied my leave in conditioner and styler and don't really like how it turned out I don't have as much shrinkage but it doesn't fall right. I didn't take a picture yesterday but I wish I would have. I. Think it looked better yesterday. Here is a picture of it today.

Attachments

• image-3660664278.jpg
    image-3660664278.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
It seems like this method required sitting under a hard bonnet dryer no? If I just let it air dry without a bun or anything it would not turn out well we all (and would take forever)

Anyone recommend a good diffusing dryer? I have a Chi Blow dryer and a diffuser of the same brand, but bought seperately. It's difficult because the attachment slips off the dryer a lot. I bought a dryer with diffuser attachment at walmart, but I didn't think I got as good results and thought it was because the dryer was cheap?

What do you guys think?

I finally tried this method and my hair turned out cute on day one.

I wet my hair (after a bad braid and curl) and shingled in Eco Styler Argan Oil gel. I wet my hair afterward and did the shake out then sat under the Pibbs dryer for about 20 minutes. I had some shrinkage but nowhere near the normal shrinkage I get up to my ears. My hair actually had some hang to it.

Day two, not so much. But I never get cute day two hair with Eco Styler gel.

Adding a before and after photo
attachment.php

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150302_203731.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150302_203731.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
A better photo
attachment.php

I am very impressed by this method and need to find a styler that will give me day 2 hair.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150302_204447.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150302_204447.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 512
I think if you have fine hair co washing on a daily basis and putting all that product in your hair could be a recipe for over manipulation and hygral fatigue. I think he just wants people to use all his products. I think to combat hygral fatigue one must use a pre poo (I never cared about that in the past but now I do) and not be heavy handed with products in the shower too much.

I also think that finer textures it is very hard because the spirals, coils and curls are so tiny that it is hard to really show much curl definition. The way to lock in those coils one must use a gel that will really lock in a hold those coils and if your coils are really tiny it will just look like a matted mess. However, I would not like to use gel on my hair daily now that my hair is pushing past the TWA phase an onto the in between stage.

I still believe that water is the best refresher but now when I am in the shower, I do not wash/wet my hair loose and I do not wet my hair in the shower daily but I am meticulous about my twice a week DC.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I finally tried this method and my hair turned out cute on day one.

I wet my hair (after a bad braid and curl) and shingled in Eco Styler Argan Oil gel. I wet my hair afterward and did the shake out then sat under the Pibbs dryer for about 20 minutes. I had some shrinkage but nowhere near the normal shrinkage I get up to my ears. My hair actually had some hang to it.

Day two, not so much. But I never get cute day two hair with Eco Styler gel.

I use eco styler too. I get 2nd day hair by flat twisting at night (to elongate my hair) and spritz with water after I take out the flat twists.
I like 2-5th day hair when I am doing wash n go's

I think if you have fine hair co washing on a daily basis and putting all that product in your hair could be a recipe for over manipulation and hygral fatigue. I think he just wants people to use all his products. I think to combat hygral fatigue one must use a pre poo (I never cared about that in the past but now I do) and not be heavy handed with products in the shower too much.

I also think that finer textures it is very hard because the spirals, coils and curls are so tiny that it is hard to really show much curl definition. The way to lock in those coils one must use a gel that will really lock in a hold those coils and if your coils are really tiny it will just look like a matted mess. However, I would not like to use gel on my hair daily now that my hair is pushing past the TWA phase an onto the in between stage.

I still believe that water is the best refresher but now when I am in the shower, I do not wash/wet my hair loose and I do not wet my hair in the shower daily but I am meticulous about my twice a week DC.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I have fine hair too but my experience has been the exact opposite. Daily cowashing is the only way my hair started retaining length after many many years. I might have an extremely dry texture. My hair loves wash n gos, and especially this method. I was finally able to grow my hair to APL a couple years ago before a few setbacks, but I'm almost there again now.

I agree no one needs to buy his products. This method was around before he slapped his name on it. I use my LCO products then Eco styler gel daily. They're very light (which is important for fine hair).

I have fine hair too but my experience has been the exact opposite. Daily cowashing is the only way my hair started retaining length after many many years. I might have an extremely dry texture. My hair loves wash n gos, and especially this method. I was finally able to grow my hair to APL a couple years ago before a few setbacks, but I'm almost there again now.

I agree no one needs to buy his products. This method was around before he slapped his name on it. I use my LCO products then Eco styler gel daily. They're very light (which is important for fine hair).

He didn't claim he made it and he didn't name it either. His clients explaining to others how he and others do professional wngs at hair rules called it that for short. I do this method and listen to his advice and he has never pushed his products and I've never used them. You can use anything you want

Back