Another post for those with thick hair

I love having thick hair but dread it some days because its so hard to manage. Thats part of the reason that I relax my hair, it doesn't help much though. Since I stopped using the blowdryer its helped but I'm having a hard time getting my hair to lay down as it airdries(someone else mentioned putting a lot of leavins to help). When it finally is dry I sometimes flatiron it because thats the only solution that I can think of. Which products would you reccomend to help the thickness become more mangeble? I'm willing to try any shompoo, condition, leave-in, oil, technique, ect.

i would like to know the same thing. stretching out my relaxer has caused my hair to become super thick.. and i dont know what to do with it except put it in a pony tail!

editing to say: .. i just realized that Kenra's Straightening Serum is supposed to eliminate frizz/increase manageability.. and I just received a sample of it, .. i will try it on my next wash and let you know if that helps any

OK. I have thick 4a/b hair and after I took my braids out one thing that helped me was the extensive deep condioner. I used Pantene (relaxed & natural) intensive moisture treatment and I let it sit w/out heat for 2 hours. Then when I was about to rinse it out I added some more conditioner and combed through with a WIDE-TOOTH comb. I combed all the way through the ends. And when I washed it out my hair felt soft, detangled, and my new growth was more manageable and wasn't as puffy. This is what worked for me.

For me, I think it's moreso the way I do it vs. the products I use. I place my hair in a neat bun or a French twist while it is wet. Therefore, it lays down well while it's airdrying. Maybe you can try it out.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
For me, I think it's moreso the way I do it vs. the products I use. I place my hair in a neat bun or a French twist while it is wet. Therefore, it lays down well while it's airdrying. Maybe you can try it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. To make my hair laydown, I usually put my hair in braids. If I put my hair 4 braids and let them dry overnight, my hair is less bulky and easier to comb through. If I'm doing a braid out (16-30 braids), that cuts down on the thickness a lot.

Hey Ar010!
wave.gif

I have thick hair too! I use the ponytail method to help my hair airdry smooth. Sometimes I have to make two ponytails because my hair is so thick and takes forever and a day to dry closer to the scalp. The trick with the ponytail method and thick hair is to make sure your hair is completely dry before you take the ponytail(s) out.

I comb my hair in the shower with my jibere shower comb, add my leave in and pull it into a ponytail, add magnetic rollers at the ends of ponytail and once semi dry tie scarf over entire head. If I do this during the week I have to get my hair finished before 7 pm in order for it to be dry the next morning.

This is why when I am more than 9 weeks post relaxer I opt for buns, french twists and braid outs for air drying. It doesn't matter so much that its so thick with those styles.

The trials and tribulations of a thick haired girl! Man o man is this not my problem too, especially when that new growth kicks in and I'm trying hard to stretch the relaxer! This is why I use heat, it's my savior, my knight in "shinning armor" BUT I promised that I would try no heat when I took my braids out so all advice is welcome.
smile.gif

..i tried the Kenra Straightening Serum and let me tell you, my hair is SLEEK! its not as puffy as it would normally be. maybe you should contact kenra for some samples of it to see if it will work for you. (i put it on my hair in two sections, put those sections in ponytails and sat under a hooded dryer for 90 minutes.)

for my huge head of hair to lay down i do use heat (cringe) but only once a week or week and a half. i wouldnt say its puffy but, just "BIG" hair. especially since i have been transitioning its really huge.to dry i do use the ponytail method with multiple ponytails. im saving this to favs. b/c this has been an issue for a while with me.

Adrian;
I couldn't access your photo album using the password hair.
Can you confirm? I'd love to see your pics.

After doing a condition wash, I add leave in and world of curls gel to my edges---I then style my hair the way I'm going to have it for the next few days, and I tie my hair down with a satin scarf for the night. I usually keep my hair like this for 3-4 days with the ends vaselined and hidden away. I spray my hair every night with water and oil---and every night I tie it down with a scarf. Tying my hair down with the scarf and using world of curls gel to flatten my hair---these two things have really helped me
smile.gif

when I want to do something different, I do a roller set to get my hair straight, and then, I tuck my ends away for a week or so, or I blow my roots out and leave my hair in one protective style for a week or so.

Back