*Another newbie*

Emoniegirl03

Hello everyone. My name is Nicola and I am new to the forum world. I'm 24 and have a 15 month old. I suffered major hair loss after the birth of my child and i would like to learn to take better of my care which i've neglected to do all my life. I've been observing for the past week post on this site and today i made the commitment to join. I still have a lot to learn but i would like to start joining some challenges. On 12/21/09 I shaved the back of my hair and cut the front.(i had to shave the back because it was sooooo damaged) NO more wool jacket my stylist said!lol I dont know what BC means can any one tell me? As of now i'm washing weekly with pantene pro v relaxed and natural shampoo, then aphogee 2 min reconstruster, the pro v restorative conditioning mask. and pro daily moisturizer. i usually blow dry and then flat iron :ohwell: i know that bad! I had alot of breakage and i just want thick healthly hair for this year! Any suggestions will be absolutely appreciated Thank you and Happy New Year!

Hi and Welcome to LHCF...There's a wealth of information here so you will be on your way to healthy hair in know time.

Welcome!! :)

And just in case you don't know, the "big chop" is when a person who's going natural cuts off their relaxed ends.

Hello everyone. My name is Nicola and I am new to the forum world. I'm 24 and have a 15 month old. I suffered major hair loss after the birth of my child and i would like to learn to take better of my care which i've neglected to do all my life. I've been observing for the past week post on this site and today i made the commitment to join. I still have a lot to learn but i would like to start joining some challenges. On 12/21/09 I shaved the back of my hair and cut the front.(i had to shave the back because it was sooooo damaged) NO more wool jacket my stylist said!lol I dont know what BC means can any one tell me? As of now i'm washing weekly with pantene pro v relaxed and natural shampoo, then aphogee 2 min reconstruster, the pro v restorative conditioning mask. and pro daily moisturizer. i usually blow dry and then flat iron :ohwell: i know that bad! I had alot of breakage and i just want thick healthly hair for this year! Any suggestions will be absolutely appreciated Thank you and Happy New Year!

Welcome!!! I'm a bit of a newbie, too so my advice may not be as quality as another, more experienced lady on the board but...it sounds like you've got a reggie established. Thats a good first step. Pay close attention to how your hair is responding and that way you'll learn how to anticipate what it needs (protein or moisture, etc). I don't know anything about the Pantene products, but the name "restorative mask" makes me think there is protein in it...and you already use the Aphogee 2 min which is a protein, too. Some heads experience breakage with too much protein and not enough moisture, so be wary of that. But....the big thing to remember is that if it works for *YOU* then keep doing/ using it! :yep:

And I know its hard, but laying off the heat is one of the best things you can do for your hair, IMHO (in my honest opinion). My blow dryer broke a month back and I don't even care~ haven't replaced it yet!

We're glad you're here!

I am a newbie too looking for some help. How do you diagnosis your hair problem. My hair is getting shorter and thinner - especially in the top. I did a self-relax for the second time with EQP no-lye and have been washing twice a week with condiioners and using the shea butter as a leave-in. I oil everyday with the Brahmi amla. What is the best way to stop the breakage and hair loss?

Welcome to LHCF! Happy hair growing. May I suggest the Silk Elements MegaMoisture conditioner (available at Sally's)? I also recommend Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo. It is moisturizing, cleans very well and is sulfate-free(sulfates are known to dry out the hair over time).

Last edited:

Welcome to the board! Congrats on the baby. Read some of SistaSlick's articles to understand the need for protein and moisture treatments.

1.) Regimen Building Basics for Newbies
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/288340/hair_regimen_building_for_newbies.html

2.) Selecting a Moisturizing Shampoo
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313061/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_shampoo.html

3.) Counteracting the Harsh Effects of Drying Sulfate Shampoos
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/425998/counteracting_the_harsh_effects_of.html

4.) Selecting a Moisturizing Conditioner http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313072/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_conditioner.html

I am a newbie too looking for some help. How do you diagnosis your hair problem. My hair is getting shorter and thinner - especially in the top. I did a self-relax for the second time with EQP no-lye and have been washing twice a week with condiioners and using the shea butter as a leave-in. I oil everyday with the Brahmi amla. What is the best way to stop the breakage and hair loss?

To stop breakage and hair loss, you have to know why the breakage and hair loss is occurring.

You said that you self-relaxed for the second time. Are you sure that you washed out all of the relaxer? I read some posts on here that said the relaxer may be in your hair when you think you've washed all of it out.

Also, what kind of conditioners are you using? They may not be moisturizing enough for you, or you may need to deep condition your hair w/ heat. Doing the latter allows the conditioner to penetrate your hair.

Back