Another Indigo Question (sorry)

blackberry1913

For those who use indigo to get black hair. How black does Indigo make your hair?I have used indigo some many times and have yet to get blue-black hair like when I used bigen. My hair is more like dark-brown or off black.I can't use bigen anymore b/c now I get an allergic rxn (severe itching for days). I don't know what I'm doin wrong w/ the indigo. I'm thinking of using Sebastian Colourshines in Black Orchid, but I don't know how it will react with henna'ed hair.

So ladies give me ur input on dark indigo makes ur hair?

TIA!!!!

My hair is very black now that I've used indigo several times. My best recipe was to mix the indigo with boiling water and salt and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I added amla oil and let that sit for another 10 minutes. The dye had released by this point. Right before I was ready to use it, I added henna to the mix. I think it made the indigo "stick" better and I got very dark results. HTH.

Indigo gets my hair jet black. :grin:

To get it that dark, use henna first, then rinse and apply the indigo...the henna in the hair give the indigo color more to "cling" to, so to speak.

Are you mixing it with henna before applying? Depending on the ratio you use, that will make the color more dark brown than black.

And try to use the indigo as quickly as possible after you mix it up...according to the henna for hair website, you shouldn't let it sit too long, it loses its potency.

Good luck!

Hey I've a question!

Can you use Cassie(sp) (no color henna) and indigo for a darker hair coloring instead of absorbing the reddish brown from the regular henna? I have yet to use henna for the 1st time. I am a Bigen user looking to convert.

Doll said:
Hey I've a question!

Can you use Cassie(sp) (no color henna) and indigo for a darker hair coloring instead of absorbing the reddish brown from the regular henna? I have yet to use henna for the 1st time. I am a Bigen user looking to convert.

I think the cassia would just make it shinier, since it doesn't add any color...the indigo would make it dark, ( some people actually get it a blue black/purplish color! :eek:) but you would get amazing conditioning effects from using henna as well. If you keep the henna on for only a short time, you'd get hardly any color at all.

I think you'll like the henna revolution! My hair color looks healthier and shinier than it ever did with regular dyes...I'm glad I took the plunge! :grin:

Yep, I agree. Just mix the henna with cold or room-temperature water and use it immediately and you won't get the color.

Yep, I agree. Just mix the henna with cold or room-temperature water and use it immediately and you won't get the color.
This doesn't always work for everyone. I've done this twice and each time my hair was noticeably redder. But the color didn't matter because I just dyed over it with indigo.

I've only indigo'ed once and my hair is still pitch black. I haven't henna'ed either (been too busy) so I don't know if the henna will turn the hair back to a reddish color. I heard you should mix the two.

It depends on how long you leave it in the hair. Henna can release while it's on your head. If you don't want the color, I wouldn't leave it on for more than 30 minutes or so. That's enough time to get the conditioning effects.
I've done two or three henna treatments and I didn't get the color release either time. I have recipes in my fotki under the henna/indigo album and the december 2006 album. Like I said, my best indigo treatment was when I added henna to the mixture RIGHT before I put it in my hair.

Last edited:
Well, i don't know what I'm doin wrong b/c my hair is far from jet black. I have tried many different methods. A month ago I henna'ed then indigo and then use indigo again maybe 4 days after. Just recently I relaxed did a henna gloss then used indigo, then used indigo fews day later. Still not jet black, u can see the difference b/w my jet black hair and indigo'ed hair (dark brown). I use hot water maybe I need to use boiling water. The indigo is never black when I use it either green or a very dark green.

WomanlyCharm said:
Indigo gets my hair jet black. :grin:

To get it that dark, use henna first, then rinse and apply the indigo...the henna in the hair give the indigo color more to "cling" to, so to speak.

Are you mixing it with henna before applying? Depending on the ratio you use, that will make the color more dark brown than black.

And try to use the indigo as quickly as possible after you mix it up...according to the henna for hair website, you shouldn't let it sit too long, it loses its potency.

Good luck!

I use boiling water and let it cool. You should see a blackish-blue layer form on the top when the dye has released.

Back