Another Hair typing thread :)

Nelli04

*added new pics a few responses below*
My hair is confusing, I've been a member here for a while and still am clueless. I finally was able to take somewhat decent pictures of my hair...at the moment I am thinking I am just 4b...possibly a little 4A.
The back has more tighter coils and as you go forward they get a little looser.
t

mostly dry, no product:

But the front confuses me the most, it does not clump like the back, although it is looser, it's hard for me to see the true curl/coil pattern. I also have more heat damage in the front, but the new growth is not heat damaged at all.

this is what the new growth looks like [dry, no product]:

Last edited:
Are you natural or transitioning? From looking at the pics you have I would say you have a combo of 3c/4a/4b. Is it more silky or kinky? It looks to have a somewhat silky texture to it on the pics. Your hair is pretty.

Are you natural or transitioning? From looking at the pics you have I would say you have a combo of 3c/4a/4b. Is it more silky or kinky? It looks to have a somewhat silky texture to it on the pics. Your hair is pretty.

Thanks. I am natural, but my hair is heat damaged, so I am growing out the heat damaged ends (I guess that is transitioning). I have thick strands, which means I have coarse hair, which then means kinky right? lol But I think it's the lighting from the bathroom that is making my hair look a little silky. not sure

I say it is very hard to tell due to the heat damage and we may need better pics.

I was afraid of that :sad:. I have been a member here for over 2 years and I can't even count how many times I have taken pictures to try to find out my hair type lol, I never posted them because they never seemed good enough.
I am going to try one more time. I am determined lol

It's so hard to tell because as you stated, you are heat damaged which stretches the curl...but I'd say 4a and perhaps a bit of 3c. I honestly don't see any 4b and if so, very little. Again, heat damage will change things but that is what I see. :) Good luck with your out of heat transition.

It's so hard to tell because as you stated, you are heat damaged which stretches the curl...but I'd say 4a and perhaps a bit of 3c. I honestly don't see any 4b and if so, very little. Again, heat damage will change things but that is what I see. :) Good luck with your out of heat transition.

Thanks!

I am going to just wait and see what my new growth gets longer...I'm just confused because people who are transitioning are able to tell their hair type...and my hair just looks like a big mesh lol

As hair type is based on curl size it is really hard to tell because your pictures are so close up we cannot get any vantage. Perhaps if you moved the camera a little further away or held pencil next to your hair to get some idea of the curl size. 3C curls tend to be pencil size (or a little larger) to drinking straw sized, 3B would be like chalk to sharpie marker sized, 3A are very large curls like sidewalk chalk. 4A would be around chopstick to coffee stirrer size (can also show as tight S shaped waves), 4B coils are very small and will not clump without product or manipulation in most cases. Also typing is best done dry hair with no product no manipulation with wet hair the curls are looser and stretched out by the water.

Last edited:
Back