And This Is Why I Avoid Salons

naturalmanenyc

I'm not sure why so many salons just don't respect their clients time.

I made a blowout appointment at a well-known salon with one of their new stylist. I'm been trying to stay on a schedule of trimming every 3 - 4 months which requires a blowout. Thankfully, before I left to spend my lunch at the shop, I sent a text. An hour or so later, after I'd already left but before I got too far away from the house, I get a text back from the stylist telling me the salon is closed today. Seriously, she waited until I contacted her to tell me the shop was closed today...after telling me in writing when I scheduled that she only had availability on Mondays...not just today but Mondays.

The salon has always been closed on Sundays and Mondays so I presumed she was allowed to take clients on the off days. I should have known better though. She trained at another well-known salon where tons of people complained about waiting for hours for the stylist to show up, for example, 8 am appointment and stylist showed up at 11 am just in time to curl the now dry client.

I'm going to roller set my own hair and go to Supercuts for a trim.

You're in Brooklyn right? Salon Bohemia is pretty good. They stay on schedule and they know to straighten really well. And they ask questions and listen to the answer. I'm afraid of salons in general but I like them. I would go often except they're like half hour subway right for me and because I'm lazy that's too far for me.

You're in Brooklyn right? Salon Bohemia is pretty good. They stay on schedule and they know to straighten really well. And they ask questions and listen to the answer. I'm afraid of salons in general but I like them. I would go often except they're like half hour subway right for me and because I'm lazy that's too far for me.

But that's half an hour of stuntin' the new do, no? And if you stand between the carriages with the window behind you that's free swang! Not to mention when the tube approaches the station from the tunnel and you get that whooosh! :angeldevil:

Sorry girls, I'll try again tonight. I came home yesterday, got in the bed and didn't wake up until this morning.

Hair Rules is currently my favorite salon. However, I've been looking at their Instagram pics and all of the styles done by Dicky look the same. I mean exactly the same. He's into giving hair that set and style look with a curling iron. Short hair, long hair, it doesn't matter...all of the styles look like relaxed hair that was roller set. My last cut with him looked like that and the cut was not precise enough for me. Nor did it really fit my face. Plus Dickey doesn't make any suggestions anymore. He did when I first started going to him years ago.

I want a stylist to be more creative than that. I'm think about LW Salon. Great looking cuts. I'm just afraid they may use too much heat as the natural hair is so straight it looks like it's growing out of the scalp straight. But they do precision cuts with every hair in its place and that's what I want.

Hair Rules is currently my favorite salon. However, I've been looking at their Instagram pics and all of the styles done by Dicky look the same. I mean exactly the same. He's into giving hair that set and style look with a curling iron. Short hair, long hair, it doesn't matter...all of the styles look like relaxed hair that was roller set. My last cut with him looked like that and the cut was not precise enough for me. Nor did it really fit my face. Plus Dickey doesn't make any suggestions anymore. He did when I first started going to him years ago.

I want a stylist to be more creative than that. I'm think about LW Salon. Great looking cuts. I'm just afraid they may use too much heat as the natural hair is so straight it looks like it's growing out of the scalp straight. But they do precision cuts with every hair in its place and that's what I want.

LW burned the crap out of me when I got a blowout a while back, and it was $80 + tax & tip.
No thanks!

ETA: my prior post

I'm natural. I didn't have a great experience at LW. It's not a natural hair salon so do not expect some of the hair practices you may be used to at a natural salon like combing from ends up to the roots, denman brushes, or any strand by strand detangling.

My hair was blown out on the hell setting with a round bristle brush. I felt my scalp burning a few times and jumped. Mahesha said something about my hair holding heat. I don't really know what that means but I was reminded of my time in the Dominican salons where they set the blow dryer on Hades. I was burned multiple times by the flat iron, the larger Hai and the smaller one. After being burned, I closed my eyes to avoid jumping as the flat iron got close to my edges. It didn't work though. I got burned a few more times. Mahesha put some curls in my hair but they just didn't hold. She re-curled a few times and touched up my edges with the flat iron a few times as well and said she would not "torture" me anymore.

I paid $80 + tax and tip. It's my mistake for not confirming the $50 natural blow out Beauty on a Budget pricing; however, those appointments are only for junior stylists who may or may not be familiar with your hair texture. Mahesha is a senior stylist.

I had no curls by 4 pm and my roots at the front of my head started to frizz by the time I got home. I'd recommend H2 over LW Salon if you're natural. The pricing at H2 is about the same at $55 - $75 for a blowout (junior stylist being cheaper).

LW burned the crap out of me when I got a blowout a while back, and it was $80 + tax & tip.
No thanks!

ETA: my prior post

I'm natural. I didn't have a great experience at LW. It's not a natural hair salon so do not expect some of the hair practices you may be used to at a natural salon like combing from ends up to the roots, denman brushes, or any strand by strand detangling.

My hair was blown out on the hell setting with a round bristle brush. I felt my scalp burning a few times and jumped. Mahesha said something about my hair holding heat. I don't really know what that means but I was reminded of my time in the Dominican salons where they set the blow dryer on Hades. I was burned multiple times by the flat iron, the larger Hai and the smaller one. After being burned, I closed my eyes to avoid jumping as the flat iron got close to my edges. It didn't work though. I got burned a few more times. Mahesha put some curls in my hair but they just didn't hold. She re-curled a few times and touched up my edges with the flat iron a few times as well and said she would not "torture" me anymore.

I paid $80 + tax and tip. It's my mistake for not confirming the $50 natural blow out Beauty on a Budget pricing; however, those appointments are only for junior stylists who may or may not be familiar with your hair texture. Mahesha is a senior stylist.

I had no curls by 4 pm and my roots at the front of my head started to frizz by the time I got home. I'd recommend H2 over LW Salon if you're natural. The pricing at H2 is about the same at $55 - $75 for a blowout (junior stylist being cheaper).

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stay with Dickey. At least I never got heat damage. Maybe I will bring some photos with me. They have expanded their services and use Olaplex during the coloring process. They have been trying to talk me into permanent color to cover my grays but I've been resistant because I always lose hair after color, even semi-permanent. We'll see.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stay with Dickey. At least I never got heat damage. Maybe I will bring some photos with me. They have expanded their services and use Olaplex during the coloring process. They have been trying to talk me into permanent color to cover my grays but I've been resistant because I always lose hair after color, even semi-permanent. We'll see.

Luckily I didn't experience any heat damage from the LW visit; however, that is most likely because I deep condition and do a protein treatment before any blowout.
I still have all my tight curls.

curly hair February 2016.jpg
straight hair February.jpg

Yessenia and Monique ex-Hair Rules stylist are now located at:

Foster Glorioso
5 East 19th St.
4th Floor
NY, NY 10003

in the heart of Manhattan!

You can call 212-929-2938 or visit www.fosterglorioso.com to make your appointments.

If you have any questions for them, contact them directly,

Yessenia 646-355-8420
Monique 347-307-7621
or at [email protected].

Yessenia rocks and always does a great job with my 4A hair.

I'm not sure why so many salons just don't respect their clients time.

I made a blowout appointment at a well-known salon with one of their new stylist. I'm been trying to stay on a schedule of trimming every 3 - 4 months which requires a blowout. Thankfully, before I left to spend my lunch at the shop, I sent a text. An hour or so later, after I'd already left but before I got too far away from the house, I get a text back from the stylist telling me the salon is closed today. Seriously, she waited until I contacted her to tell me the shop was closed today...after telling me in writing when I scheduled that she only had availability on Mondays...not just today but Mondays.

The salon has always been closed on Sundays and Mondays so I presumed she was allowed to take clients on the off days. I should have known better though. She trained at another well-known salon where tons of people complained about waiting for hours for the stylist to show up, for example, 8 am appointment and stylist showed up at 11 am just in time to curl the now dry client.

I'm going to roller set my own hair and go to Supercuts for a trim.

Back