And the WORST relaxer goes to....

MissFallon

What's the worst relaxer you have ever used?

Today I went to get my regular ORS relaxer but Rite Aid was sold out, so I picked up Dark and Lovely. It is the worst relaxer I have ever used. My hair was all hard and after conditioning softened only a little. Plus I had to moisturize after the rollerset (which I never do) because my hair was so dry.

What relaxer did you use that you thought was the absolute worst?

Mizani Rhegular lye and Affirm.... I know many women have success with these two but they ruined my hair! Luckily phyto stopped my search for the perfect relaxer

Affirm- that mess burned the crap out of my scalp. For sensitive scalp- WHATEVA!

I would have to say Elasta QP lye for the outstanding combination of underprocessing and lasting scalp irritation.

ETA: I didn't know you could choose more than one! Motions is crap as well (severely underprocessed).

Last edited:
MissFallon:

I have to agree with you on the Dark & Lovely. That mess was notorious for taking women's hair out in the 80s.

I see they still haven't changed the formula.....

Bantu -hands down. that relaxer burned the heck out of my scalp and I only left it in for like 5 min!!!!

brownbarbie said:
MissFallon:

I have to agree with you on the Dark & Lovely. That mess was notorious for taking women's hair out in the 80s.

I see they still haven't changed the formula.....

Damn I wish i wouldve known that before I put it in. It even had the nerve to not straighten my hard to straighten part of my hair. As soon as my next relaxer comes Im going back to my beloved ORS Olive Oil Relaxer

A tie between Dark & Lovely and Hawaiian Silky for me. Breakage-galore with them both. :mad: Sorry to hear you had to experience the D&L blues, MissFallon. :(

I dont have a bad relaxer experience, I have heard horrible things about dark and lovely and HS for years though.

OMG, I thought you were going to say ORS.

phew. I had the jar in my hand about to mix and I froze when i saw this post.

well anyways, I didnt like design essentials. all my hair did was break.

MissFallon said:
What's the worst relaxer you have ever used?

Today I went to get my regular ORS relaxer but Rite Aid was sold out, so I picked up Dark and Lovely. It is the worst relaxer I have ever used. My hair was all hard and after conditioning softened only a little. Plus I had to moisturize after the rollerset (which I never do) because my hair was so dry.

What relaxer did you use that you thought was the absolute worst?

Yes yes yes .. I thought I was the only one complaining about the dark and lovely stuff... my hair hated this mess
Dark and Lovely... more like Dark and Ugly LOL:look:

*ElleB said:
Revlon almost guarantees you some scalp burns!! :mad:
o0oO I can't forget this one.. I tried the lye verion because I thought my dryness was because of my use of no lye... but this stuff made my hair tuff hard and dry... never again

It's weird when I used the Dark and Lovely I didn't have a single strand of hair come out but I think that is more because I dc every week and do protein every two weeks. I would've died if my hair would've started to come out. I just hated it cuz it burned the hell out of my ears and didn't straighten my hair all the way. My hair still has 3 inches of waves from the ng except now its easier to deal with ( I guess its texlaxed or something). I love my hair bone straight when I relax and this took me 45 mins so why didn't it relax it all the way? Never again!

Oh yeah, Revlon used to burn my scalp too but that was back in the day when I thought if it burned it was working. I used it from the time I was 9 to the time I was 18. I was kinda sidistic though cuz I used to like picking the burns and seeing my scalp bleed, but when I realized it was bad I never went back.

Motions (all versions)

The jar should have a disclaimer that reads: results are temporary, hair will revert when washed due to inability to relax.

TCB
After relaxing with this, my hair felt like it was washed instead of permed. It did absolutely nothing.

I actually love Hawaiian Silky, but make sure that stuff doesn't touch the scalp. I've experienced way too many scalp scabs 'cause of that stuff.

Legend said:
A tie between Dark & Lovely and Hawaiian Silky for me. Breakage-galore with them both. :mad: Sorry to hear you had to experience the D&L blues, MissFallon. :(

Yes ma'am!! My hair jumps around when I walk by these two!!! :eek: Hawaiian Silky made me in hair recovery for almost 2 years!

:lachen:

Okay.. They Should :lachen:

simplycee said:
Motions (all versions)

The jar should have a disclaimer that reads: results are temporary, hair will revert when washed due to inability to relax.

Back