And next time, how about we don't color the transitioning hair?

Cherokee-n-Black

:cry2: So, this is my 4th time tranistioning. I've never actually BC'd or grown out all the relaxed hair, because eventually, I just relaxed again. Well, this one has gone the longest and been the most drama free until now. My hair has been breaking off, shedding, the ends are fried (I cut off about 3 inches) and let's not talk about DRYYYY!

Long story short, I was looking at an old pic of long, healthy transitioning hair (November) and wondering what happened??? Then it hit me, I was so freaked out by all the gray hair (more prominent now due the texture) a few months ago, I colored. My natural color (maybe a shade lighter, not by design) The Horror! Oh, the hair-manity! You can see in my public profile that my hair is raggedy-looking.

I have all this breakage within my NG! I am really kicking myself right now. :wallbash: I have come so far to have it all end in unhealthy natural hair. Based on my NG (after the color), I have a good 5.5 inches of color-fried hair (and I'm sorry, I just do not have the face for a TWA...)

Cherokee-n-Black,
:bighug: Set backs are the debil. Is there any hope you can save your hair?**crossing fingers** I don't have a ton of grays but I do have some. I have dyed my hair (since 9th grade) on and off over several years b/c I liked to play with colors/ placement etc. Once I started this HHJ, I knew that would need to be modified. After getting my protein/moisture balance correct and generally getting comfortable with my hair, I decided to reward my self with a little color one I reached my first goal (which was APL). OT- I make it a habit of rewarding myself as I hit my hair goals:yay:. back on topic- Instead of coloring my entire head I opted to add some highlights. Then I committed to DC a minimum of once a week and regular protein treatments (6 to 8 weeks). In addition I regularly CW and seal (minimum 2 times a week). I also PS 90% of the time (I am in box braids even as we speak). Why? Cause I knew any type of color/ chemical had the potential to dry my hair out and cause retention issues. How did you modify your reggie when you decided to color? BTW- I found that for me, drinking 2 cups of nettle tea a day actually caused several of my gray hairs to repigment:shocked:. I'd never heard of such a thing and thought I was imagining things until family members noticed the change w/o my prompting too. I was drinking the tea for some other health benefits initially. I have since done some research to find out others have had similar experiences. So, how about tea rinses and the like or henna and other methods which are not as harsh from a chemical standpoint? You live and you learn. I certainly hope you recover quickly!!

Okey Doke! Going to find some nettle tea! LOL. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do now. I was really shocked by how my natural hair was suddenly so dry and unruly. I thought initially it was just because there was so much of it, but when I looked at that pic I realized there was a lot of it then--and the hair was healthy. I honestly kept meaning to DC, but never seemed to have the time. I also was washing my hair less often because the babies had me hoppin'! (toddlers 1 and 3). To make matters worse, in our no-central-air having apt., sitting under a heated dryer is just not the business (as if I have 30 minutes to sit under a dryer--ha!) I'll have to figure something out about when to find time to DC, oil treat, and aphogee my hair like I used to back in the day. One thing's for sure, I'd rather deal with gray for the time being than compromise a year's worth of growth any further. Sigghhhh, thanks for the support. I feel so stupid!!!

I also second the use of box braids to transition. The one year I had a perm, that's what I did until my hair was natural again. Although, I was in middle school and there was no such thing as a natural hair community at that time. But the braids def did the trick!

Cherokee-n-Black

Instead of sitting under the dryer, I would just use the natural heat to deep condition. Put on the deep conditioner, plastic cap, do errands etc throughout the day and then wash it out later that night.

@Cherokee-n-Black

Instead of sitting under the dryer, I would just use the natural heat to deep condition. Put on the deep conditioner, plastic cap, do errands etc throughout the day and then wash it out later that night.

If only I were ever indoors that long!!! We are always out and about on the weekends. I will try to do something like that, but I've found that just leaving conditioner on does not give as good results on my hair. It doesn't seem like there's much heat there.

If only I were ever indoors that long!!! We are always out and about on the weekends. I will try to do something like that, but I've found that just leaving conditioner on does not give as good results on my hair. It doesn't seem like there's much heat there.
What about overnight +plastic cap? I feel you on the toddlers and exhaustion:drunk:. So, sometimes in lieu of heat, time can help when DCing. I often tie on a scarf followed by a silk bonnet. The silk helps w/ the heat/ penetration/ insulation w/o making the rest of me too hot:yep:.

Back