An Effective Way to Wear my Hair to Grow It Out??

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I need as many opinions as possible...

I'm trying to think of a good way to grow out my hair. I was wondering if wearing two braid cornrow extensions would be okay. Has anyone worn their hair this way? Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Click the link.

Pic of Jada in 2 braids

*If the link doesn't work, go to http://www.gettyimages.com , hover over "editorial" and in the side menu click on "Entertainment" and do a search for Jada Pinkett, and go to page 32 and it's the 1st pic in the 2nd row (dated 6 Jun 1999).

Poohbear, I would braid my mom's hair like this when she grew out her perm and it worked well. But beware if your hair grows pretty fast then you will have to get your braids redone often. And also make sure that you condition your hair really well when you take out the braids, because it can be really drying especially if you use synthetic hair.

braids but watch the hair line
weaves(my favourite option)i mean full head weaves, not where some of the hair is left out.
cornrows
hats and scarfs

I think that's a really cute style. and it seems easy to do.
another suggestion may be to wear various bun pieces. like, regular buns, braided buns, and cute afro puffs. these may be good for those days when you don't feel like doing very much and you can pull your hair all back and attatch a cute little "bun".
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:
braids but watch the hair line
weaves(my favourite option)i mean full head weaves, not where some of the hair is left out.
cornrows
hats and scarfs

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not going to braid too close to the hairline b/c it's somewhat thin or grows slower than the rest of my hair
wink.gif

I don't want too many braids/cornrows on my hair since it's thin so thats why I came up with the idea of two braids for less breakage and less pull on my hair.
wink.gif

I work in a corporate office so I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing scarfs during the day. And I dont wear hats unless Im in the sun for a long period of time like on the beach or something. But I'll wear a satin scarf at night.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
I think that's a really cute style. and it seems easy to do.
another suggestion may be to wear various bun pieces. like, regular buns, braided buns, and cute afro puffs. these may be good for those days when you don't feel like doing very much and you can pull your hair all back and attatch a cute little "bun".
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

scratchchin.gif
Buns break my hair and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing afro puffs. maybe a ponytail though...

The only conditioner I have is Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner...

Can this be used as a deep conditioner? If so, how can I use it to achieve deep conditioning?

If not, what is a good DEEP conditioner?

I also have Elasta Breakage Control Serum which I use as a protein treatment...can I use this before applying braids to my hair???

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
I've worn my hair that way...but it may not be practical all of the time. How long do you plan to transition?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am planning on transitioning until my natural hair is shoulder length which will probably take a couple of years or so. Then I'm cutting my relaxed ends off.

BUT I plan on wearing these braid extensions for maybe 2-3 months on, 2-3 months off, so on. Or a one time 2-3 months deal. (If that makes sense).
grin.gif

Okay.

For the Suave Conditioner, you can add a little olive oil and/or vitamin E to it and sit under a heat cap with it and turn it into a deep conditioner. YOu can also use a honey/olive oil mixture as a deep conditioner.

I don't know about the Elasta QP Serum.

Have you considered using twists as well? Also, have you thought about flat twists and cornrows?

Poohbear I don't think the Suave Coconut would be a good deep conditoner. Something like Lekair Cholesterol would be good. I haven't used the Elasta Breakage Control Serum but that would probably good because it would ensure that your hair would be strong and ready for the braids.

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
Poohbear, even the ballet buns that you just attatch to you own ponytail, are those the ones that break your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]
oh, i never tried them because the ones I have found in my town look too phony. I want it to look somewhat real and blend in with my hair.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
Okay.

For the Suave Conditioner, you can add a little olive oil and/or vitamin E to it and sit under a heat cap with it and turn it into a deep conditioner. YOu can also use a honey/olive oil mixture as a deep conditioner.

I don't know about the Elasta QP Serum.

Have you considered using twists as well? Also, have you thought about flat twists and cornrows?

[/ QUOTE ]

My face breaks out with vitamin E and I don't have honey or olive oil by itself, but I have a mixture of oils (jojoba,olive,carrot,aloevera)... would this mix be okay to use with Suave?

i don't know if twists will work well on relaxed hair when trying to transition...
ohwell.gif

I have thought about cornrows but I thought just 2 cornrows/braids would be better for my fine textured hair...
look.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ricamorena03 said:
Poohbear, I would braid my mom's hair like this when she grew out her perm and it worked well. But beware if your hair grows pretty fast then you will have to get your braids redone often. And also make sure that you condition your hair really well when you take out the braids, because it can be really drying especially if you use synthetic hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is exactly why braids didnt work in my favor
nono.gif
my hair grew too fast. When I was in braids I had to keep getting the front redone every 1.5 weeks it was too time consuming because I wasnt able to do them myself. But they were really convienient and helped with the growth process as far as manipulation goes
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ricamorena03 said:
Poohbear I don't think the Suave Coconut would be a good deep conditoner. Something like Lekair Cholesterol would be good. I haven't used the Elasta Breakage Control Serum but that would probably good because it would ensure that your hair would be strong and ready for the braids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah cholesterol is a good deep conditioner, especially if you are on a budget. I use Lustrasilk Aloe Vera cholesterol and it works really great on my hair...especially if i mix it with evoo (but its not necessary). Its only $1.99

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
ricamorena03 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
this is exactly why braids didnt work in my favor
nono.gif
my hair grew too fast. When I was in braids I had to keep getting the front redone every 1.5 weeks it was too time consuming because I wasnt able to do them myself. But they were really convienient and helped with the growth process as far as manipulation goes
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Redoing is not a problem for me; As long as it's not breaking off my hair, I don't have a problem with finding the time to do them if my hair grows fast. I'm getting my boyfriend's sister to do them and she has a lotta time on her hands during most of the week. I manage time very well
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ricamorena03 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom has some of this...I might have to borrow it from her. But in the meantime, I'll use my Elasta serum since it does say "breakage control"...
smile.gif

I used the Elasta QP Serum Breakage Control while transitioning. It works good, especially since you're trying to do a longer transition. I transitioned using cornrows, braid extensions and roller sets. Regardless of the style that I had, I always deep conditioned weekly. I will post transitioning pics later today.

Back