Amla & Coconut Oil Right in My Backyard! YAHOO!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I am blessed...

I found an Indian grocery store a block from my house (short walking distance) that has ALL the Amla and coconut oil and henna a person could possibly want! I went crazy. :spinning:

And what makes it so cool :cool: is that the sales clerk was SOOO helpful. She told me she likes the coconut (Vitaka) better than Amla. We talked about the henna they sell (she told me she had TONS of product and just let her know what I am looking for. They even had the freshest, cheapest vegetables in the area. I am hooked. All I need is a Sari and I am in! :lol: (there's a Sari boutique down the street as well and LAWD they have some beautiful designs!)

It's almost like having an "Oils Tree" right in my own backyard! Woo hoo!:woot:

I'm so jealous! :( Where in Jersey is it? I'm a jersey girl too and when I call around to Indian stores for henna people act like I am looking to adopt a alien from mars with orange eyes and purple spots! :perplexed Please tell me they are in my back yard too!!!!

Guyaneek said:
I'm so jealous! :( Where in Jersey is it? I'm a jersey girl too and when I call around to Indian stores for henna people act like I am looking to adopt a alien from mars with orange eyes and purple spots! :perplexed Please tell me they are in my back yard too!!!!

Now that is funny!

OT...glad you found a 'playground' in your own backyard.:)

Hey gals.
I'm in Dunellen. Would love to get some recommendations. I'm about to do the individual braid thing. But I would love to keep in touch and Guyaneek.... Maybe you could help me learn how to make some roti. I'm a master a bake. Where are you at? PM me. Would love to get to know ya. January Noir.... I love that name.

Guyaneek said:

I sometimes get this reaction when I go to buy hair products from Indian stores! Oh well...

I PM'd you ladies. Yes, I did a few walk ins & call arounds looking for henna and other products and those people treated me WRONG! Like they never heard of it before or they wanted to know what my behind was doing looking for it! The nerve!!! Honestly I am glad to hear that I am not the only one though :look:

Guyaneek said:
I PM'd you ladies. Yes, I did a few walk ins & call arounds looking for henna and other products and those people treated me WRONG! Like they never heard of it before or they wanted to know what my behind was doing looking for it! The nerve!!! Honestly I am glad to hear that I am not the only one though :look:

You know what, I just thought; at I first when I asked for henna they looked confused, but afterward I refered to it as "Mehndi"(sp) and they made the connection! I don't think Indians/asians call is henna in their culture, so perhaps you could try that approach. Just be sure to take note of the expiration/manufacture dates on the package before you purchase.

blac_quarian said:
You know what, I just thought; at I first when I asked for henna they looked confused, but afterward I refered to it as "Mehndi"(sp) and they made the connection! I don't think Indians/asians call is henna in their culture, so perhaps you could try that approach. Just be sure to take note of the expiration/manufacture dates on the package before you purchase.

Thank you! I will certainly bare in mind when I continue my hunt! Anything to keep me from looking like a fool:lol:

Don't you love it? I have so much Indian oil - Vatika, amla, jasmine, and you can't beat the prices. When I saw the Delhan henna that Mestiza loves for $1.49 I was over the moon:lol:

I also have amla powder and shikakai powder (cleansing herb). They like me so much I get free food samples:)

Where I live, there are many African and Asian stores. Now that i have found you all, I just have a ball going in and out looking for the the oils mentioned here. I have heard so much about Henna. What exactly is this?

january noir said:
I am blessed...

I found an Indian grocery store a block from my house (short walking distance) that has ALL the Amla and coconut oil and henna a person could possibly want! I went crazy. :spinning:

And what makes it so cool :cool: is that the sales clerk was SOOO helpful. She told me she likes the coconut (Vitaka) better than Amla. We talked about the henna they sell (she told me she had TONS of product and just let her know what I am looking for. They even had the freshest, cheapest vegetables in the area. I am hooked. All I need is a Sari and I am in! :lol: (there's a Sari boutique down the street as well and LAWD they have some beautiful designs!)

I'm so happy for you. New Jersey is actually one of the BEST areas for Indian vendors. My 'girls' and I are planning a field trip to enhance our Sari wardrobes. Currently we go to Tocoma Park, MD (in the Washington DC area). Saris are wonderful dress items to have in your wardrobe.

The stores there are endless and the Saris are so beautiful ...!

Enjoy your shopping and don't forget to buy a Tikka (beautiful hair jewelry worn in the hair and extends to the forehead - very pretty).

Here's a link of pretty Tikkas for you ;) :

http://www.profoundia.com/fatije.html

That's funny, I just found an Indian store close to me with a TON of Amla and coconut oil, too! Have you tried either oil yet? What do you think of the amla oil? I was too cheap to buy it (at $4.99 / bottle!!):perplexed

Here are some Indian Sari stores in New Jersey... ;)

We gathered this list online and are planning to call and visit them on our "Sari" trip to New Jersey.

Binny Silks & Saris House -1404 Oaktree Rd.,Iselin,NJ - (732)283-2525

Sari Emporium
-16 Marconi Ave.,Iselin NJ - (732)283-4768

Silk Heritage -1655-188 Oaktree Ctr.,Edison,NJ - (732)494-1888

Khajana -1375 Oak Tree Rd.,Iselin, - (732)283-0709

India Vogue </B>- Address: Po Box 633, Cranbury NJ 08512

Khoobsurat </B>- Address: 78 Broadway Passaic NJ 07055; Ph: (973) 473-0023 Cell: (973) 432-5641

Sajan Sajni -1328 Oaktree Rd.,Iselin,NJ - (732)283-4456

Aaina Exclusive Fashion Boutique -1700 Oaktree Rd.,Edison,NJ - (732)321-1999

Avsar1 - 692 Oaktree Rd.,Edison,NJ - (732)603-0636

Abhushan's Art Karat/Pehrawa -1376 Oak Tree Road Edison NJ -(732)2833874

Chandani Silk And Saris - 1329 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ - (732)2835522

Elegance Fashion Inc . 1385 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ (732)2832266

Fashion Of India
- 1327 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ (732)2830636

Gorgeous Fashion
- 1411 Oak Tree Road (732) 4040344

Indira Sari Center - 1369 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ - (732)2834909

Kala Niketan -1395 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ - (732)2839771

Kiran Emporium/Rose Telecom -75 Middlesex Ave Iselin NJ (732)2831702

Lashkara Exclusive Fashions
1392 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ (732)2834111

Libaas
1391 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ (732)2833441

Maharaja Wedding Center 58 Laguardia Ave Iselin NJ -08830(732)2831717

Maharani Fashions 1339 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ (732) 2833774

Meena Fashions 1333 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ (732)4041965

Navrang Fashions 1333 Oak Tree Road IselinNJ (732)2833868

Popular Sari Palace1352 Oak Tree Road Iselin NJ (732) 2834466

Kajal 769 Newark Avenue Jersey City NJ 07306 (201)2532502

Popular Sari & Jewellery816 Newark Avenue Jersey City NJ 07306 (201)6537171

India Boutique2445 Springfield Ave Union NJ 07083 (908) 9641313

Isn't it just lovely to find things right next door, saves on shipping and all the waiting.

OT: just how much were the sari's running those things are sooo expensive, I'm gonna try to make my own until I can find one @ a better price. All the ones I like are $300 + :look:

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Isn't it just lovely to find things right next door, saves on shipping and all the waiting.

OT: just how much were the sari's running those things are sooo expensive, I'm gonna try to make my own until I can find one @ a better price. All the ones I like are $300 + :look:
Saris can be quite expensive. The Wedding Saris (which are usually red or burgundy in color, go into the $1000's because of the heavy detail on the fabrics...gorgeous ;).

HOWEVER, you can usually purchase a beautiful Sari for as low as $10. These are ususally pre-folded Saris hung on clothing racks or a table display in most Indian stores. There's a hotel in Maryland where an Indian vendor has a monthly trunk sale. The Saris prices range accordingly.

The shops we visit in Maryland/DC have bolts of BEAUTIFUL Sari fabrics stocked on every wall in fabric bins and we normally pay an average of $25 to $60 for a Sari that measures 6 yards long and about 45 inches wide (the width varies).

I usually purchase the softer and more sheer fabric Sari's. There is an under skirt that goes with them (separate purchase). The satin or rayon type fabrics slide and needs to be pinned in place all over.

;) Look at these....http://www.kaneesha.com/sari_index.cfm

God has blessed my life with a wonderful and dear friend from India. She has given me several beautiful Saris from her personal wardrobe each time she visits her home, there. I'm amazed at the intricate hand detailing on them. They etch the fabric designs with gold threading and/or crystals and rhinestones. ;) Every woman needs a Sari in her wardrobe :yep: ;)

L_Mo said:
That's funny, I just found an Indian store close to me with a TON of Amla and coconut oil, too! Have you tried either oil yet? What do you think of the amla oil? I was too cheap to buy it (at $4.99 / bottle!!):perplexed
Hi L Mo!

I have the Amla oil on my hair as I type... I put it on last night and slept with it. As I was applying it, my dry, thirsty hair appeared to "come alive" before my eyes. I will see the results today after I poo and deep condish. Some people remarked they did not like the smell but I didn't find it bad at all. I thought it smelled good. I guess it depends on your sensibilities!

My Dabur Amla Oil cost $3.49. I think it is reasonable, but I will look around to compare prices.

ncarter72 said:
Hey gals.
I'm in Dunellen. Would love to get some recommendations. I'm about to do the individual braid thing. But I would love to keep in touch and Guyaneek.... Maybe you could help me learn how to make some roti. I'm a master a bake. Where are you at? PM me. Would love to get to know ya. January Noir.... I love that name.
Awww thank you NCarter72!

What a small world. I lived in Dunellen when I was a little girl. My family lived on Levgar Street in this little tiny house!

Let me know how your braids turn out.

Shimmie said:
Saris can be quite expensive. The Wedding Saris (which are usually red or burgundy in color, go into the $1000's because of the heavy detail on the fabrics...gorgeous ;).

HOWEVER, you can usually purchase a beautiful Sari for as low as $10. These are ususally pre-folded Saris hung on clothing racks or a table display in most Indian stores. There's a hotel in Maryland where an Indian vendor has a monthly trunk sale. The Saris prices range accordingly.

The shops we visit in Maryland/DC have bolts of BEAUTIFUL Sari fabrics stocked on every wall in fabric bins and we normally pay an average of $25 to $60 for a Sari that measures 6 yards long and about 45 inches wide (the width varies).

I usually purchase the softer and more sheer fabric Sari's. There is an under skirt that goes with them (separate purchase). The satin or rayon type fabrics slide and needs to be pinned in place all over.

;) Look at these....http://www.kaneesha.com/sari_index.cfm

God has blessed my life with a wonderful and dear friend from India. She has given me several beautiful Saris from her personal wardrobe each time she visits her home, there. I'm amazed at the intricate hand detailing on them. They etch the fabric designs with gold threading and/or crystals and rhinestones. ;) Every woman needs a Sari in her wardrobe :yep: ;)
You are a sweetie Shimmie. Thank you for the information on Saris. I just love them and have ALWAYS wanted to buy one or two for my wardrobe. I am familiar with the shops in Iselin. I drive through there and never stop. My neighborhood is quite diverse and with a large Indian population and there are TONS of stores here.

I will let you know when I finally purchase my Sari. I will plan for sometime next year.

january noir said:
You are a sweetie Shimmie. Thank you for the information on Saris. I just love them and have ALWAYS wanted to buy one or two for my wardrobe. I am familiar with the shops in Iselin. I drive through there and never stop. My neighborhood is quite diverse and with a large Indian population and there are TONS of stores here.

I will let you know when I finally purchase my Sari. I will plan for sometime next year.

Yes, those saris are very nice, but my question is, where do I wear them? :look:

kitchen_tician said:
Yes, those saris are very nice, but my question is, where do I wear them? :look:

:lol: I hear you, Kitchen Tician...:lol: I was introduced to them by my Indian friend (she was once my neighbor). She is such a generous person and she was always bringing me a gift from her home wardrobe. And of course she wore them as her natural wardrobe, often.

In the Dance group I'm in, we wear our Saris for some of our cultural Dance performances and events. BUT, we also wear them to parties, dinners at Morrocan and Indian restaurants.

I'm saving many of my Saris in my wedding chest to wear for initmate dinners with my husband when I'm married.

Many African women wear Sari dresses everyday. I often see them in the supermarkets and even in Walmart, Tar-jay, the Malls, etc. They have the most beautiful designs in pure whites, blues and other colors and they also wear a head wrap. Many of the African Saris and dresses have real diamonds within the fabric. Wowza...

I know you may have seen this a lot. So it's not just Indian women who wear these fabrics as a dress.

There is an African church that some friends and I visit and you will see this type of dressing there. The colors and styles are breath taking. I love it.

I can promise you that your Saris will not be wasted. They make very Romantic and elegant dressing for dinner guests, bridal showers, baby showers, or just having friends over for a movie or fun. Once you learn how to wrap them and see how beautiful you look, you will be hooked.

Saris are very addictive. If you are having a 'low' day, just put on one of your beautiful Saris and you'll have nothing but joy. :yep:

thanks shimmie! sorry to hijack january noir! :) I guess i'll wear it around the house.

Shimmie said:
[/B]

:lol: I hear you, Kitchen Tician...:lol: I was introduced to them by my Indian friend (she was once my neighbor). She is such a generous person and she was always bringing me a gift from her home wardrobe. And of course she wore them as her natural wardrobe, often.

In the Dance group I'm in, we wear our Saris for some of our cultural Dance performances and events. BUT, we also wear them to parties, dinners at Morrocan and Indian restaurants.

I'm saving many of my Saris in my wedding chest to wear for initmate dinners with my husband when I'm married.

Many African women wear Sari dresses everyday. I often see them in the supermarkets and even in Walmart, Tar-jay, the Malls, etc. They have the most beautiful designs in pure whites, blues and other colors and they also wear a head wrap. Many of the African Saris and dresses have real diamonds within the fabric. Wowza...

I know you may have seen this a lot. So it's not just Indian women who wear these fabrics as a dress.

There is an African church that some friends and I visit and you will see this type of dressing there. The colors and styles are breath taking. I love it.

I can promise you that your Saris will not be wasted. They make very Romantic and elegant dressing for dinner guests, bridal showers, baby showers, or just having friends over for a movie or fun. Once you learn how to wrap them and see how beautiful you look, you will be hooked.

Saris are very addictive. If you are having a 'low' day, just put on one of your beautiful Saris and you'll have nothing but joy. :yep:

There is actually an indian store in my neighborhood as well. I never knew it was a grocery. I thought it was a $1 store or thrift store because it is called "Bazaar" I went in and they have a whole section of hair and skin care goodies. After I figure out what I need and how to use it, I will try a henna treatment. If anyone in the DFW area wants to know where it is, pm me.

Or I could take it off your hands, if it's too much for ya trying to figure out what to do with it, ;) :lol: .
kitchen_tician said:
thanks shimmie! sorry to hijack january noir! :) I guess i'll wear it around the house.

january noir said:

January Noir, I'm so happy that you are blessed to be right near these vendors. I have many of the Indian hair products as well, but we have to travel a little further for them. I'm praying for closer vendors.

I have the oils, Coconut and Dabur Amla, and the Henna. I enjoy these products alot so it would be wonderful to live closer to Indian stores.

Isn't it nice to enjoy other cultures and how they benefit our lives? Please keep us posted on your blessings. ;)

january noir said:
Hi L Mo!

I have the Amla oil on my hair as I type... I put it on last night and slept with it. As I was applying it, my dry, thirsty hair appeared to "come alive" before my eyes. I will see the results today after I poo and deep condish. Some people remarked they did not like the smell but I didn't find it bad at all. I thought it smelled good. I guess it depends on your sensibilities!

My Dabur Amla Oil cost $3.49. I think it is reasonable, but I will look around to compare prices.

January, the cost of my bottle of Dabur Amla Oil was about the same (from the Tacoma Park/Washington DC Indian Store). It came in a dark green box with picture of an Indian woman in a yellow blouse and the pic is in an oval shaped frame with a light green background. The smell reminds me of a hair pomade (Bergamont) that my mom used on my hair as a child.

The beautiful results outweigh the smell which is easy to camophlage with a favorite scent or fragrance.

Hint: Mix a little of the Coconut oil with the Amla oil and it makes a big difference with the smell of the Amla. :yep:

I am blessed...

I hear you on that. I found an Indian grocer today around the corner from my job that just opened 7 days ago. I found any and everything that I could imagine when it comes to Ayurvedic products as well as some other things I use. My dream come true, I do not have to order from a website. Yeahhh.

On another subject your pics above show a tremendous amount of growth for 2 months on the Ovation/Mega Tek Challenge. Which one did you use and how did you use it? You hair is amazing

Back