Am I wasting my time looking for heating cap?

curlycrocheter

Am? I have a gold n' hot heating cap that I detest! It doesn't get hot at all and was a waste of money.

I'm searching high and low online for one, but I'm coming up with nothing. I don't want the kind that you microwave, and the reviews for some of the ones I've seen aren't so great.

Should I just chalk it up & put that money towards a steamer?

I have the Mastex one. It's 3 Speed and I love it.

It's the same kind they use to use on me back in the day at the Salon.

It's nice. Did you read the reviews for that one?

ETA: It was about $25 w/Shipping.

the gold n' hot automatically shuts off after about 30 minutes, but it takes forever to heat up. even on the highest setting, it's not very hot. like, not hot at all. And there's a whole section of the cap doesn't heat up at all.

My mom had one that she had for 20+ years & that thing got hot and never shut off (which I'm sure violates some safety standard today).

The Mastex gets really HOT too, but there are High/Medium/Low Settings.

The Steamer as you know is an altogether different experience.

The Steamer emits Steam like an Iron or Vaporizer and the Heating Cap is a slow baking Heat.

Totally different. Great Choices tho' to enhance your DC'ing experience

I used my old heating cap to do the "homegrown" steam treatments, which I know are not the same thing. But I figure if I don't have to spend the $100, why should I?

Maybe I will take another look at the Mastex.

Cons
My Mastex gave me uneven heat. Also it started falling apart (straps and plastic hood) before I had it even 6 months:(.

Pros
I didn't have to keep getting up to warm it in the microwave

Sent from my iPhone 5 using LHCF

I have the Mastex one. It's 3 Speed and I love it.

It's the same kind they use to use on me back in the day at the Salon.

It's nice. Did you read the reviews for that one?

ETA: It was about $25 w/Shipping.

This is the kind that I have as well!:yep:

It works great for DCing!!

Maybe I am missing something but I don't think you need a heat cap to get that hot. It really works fine if it is just warm. If you are using a plastic cap it generates enough heat within the plastic cap. You only need enough heat to open the cuticle which really doesn't require that much.

With that said I have a gold n hot and have had it for years. Yes it never feels hot but when I condition and touch my hair it has gotten warm.

I put my pajamas in it to warm them up (don't judge me :lol:) and even though the inside feels cool to the touch, the pajamas are nice and toasty after I leave them in their a bit.

Just something to consider.

I think my problem is I'm used to the HOT cap that I had all my life. It's all I know. With that being said, my hair never feels even remotely warm when I take the gold n' hot cap off. Unless I sit under it for a really long time (over an hour) & keep turning it off and on, which is a pain.

^^Maybe it's broken. Not saying they are the best in town. But I have a Hot N Gold and it doesn't every seem warm but it does the job. But I don't have to cut it on and off.

Maybe it's just time for a new one. But if you really want something warm then you can opt for the steamer or just use a hair dryer on a low setting. Both of those will get hotter than a heat cap.

I think my problem is I'm used to the HOT cap that I had all my life. It's all I know. With that being said, my hair never feels even remotely warm when I take the gold n' hot cap off. Unless I sit under it for a really long time (over an hour) & keep turning it off and on, which is a pain.

Yeah, I'm used to the old heat cap from Sears (the one with the pink/orange flowers and paisley designs!) getting super hot. My mother used that on my hair every two weeks growing up.

I have found though that my hair doesn't need that much heat for the conditioners to be effective. My hair is porous so that may be a factor.

Yeah, I'm used to the old heat cap from Sears (the one with the pink/orange flowers and paisley designs!) getting super hot. My mother used that on my hair every two weeks growing up.

I have found though that my hair doesn't need that much heat for the conditioners to be effective. My hair is porous so that may be a factor.

No I think hair doesn't need that much heat to open the cuticles. My hair is low porosity and a small amount of heat seems to open them up. Too warm and it dries out my hair. I haven't found online what temperature is needed to open the cuticle. But if a makeshift steam of using a hot towel will open the cuticle, it can't be a high heat needed.

HATE Gold n' Hot heat cap. I'm not sure if we need that much heat, BUT I too was used to the one that my mom used getting pretty hot as a child. I got a Mastex one a few years back from one of our fellow LHCF members after complaining about Gold n' Hot not getting hot at all (I thought it was broken). Although I haven't used it (or any other heating methods for deep conditioning in a while) but remember it got much hotter than the Gold n' Hot and will use it before pulling out the Gold n' Hot.

I second (third, forth? .. whatever) the Mastex. I switch between this and my hooded dryer for DC sessions. But before I got the dryer I would only use this and it worked great.. I find the Mastex gives a more concentrated and intense heat than a dryer or steamer can.

I love my Mastex. When I don't deep condition overnight, I use my Mastex on the high setting. It gets pretty hot and does an awesome job of helping my deep conditioner sink in. I've had mine since about 2004, so I don't know if they have changed it or not, but mine doesn't automatically shut off.

Am? I have a gold n' hot heating cap that I detest! It doesn't get hot at all and was a waste of money.

I'm searching high and low online for one, but I'm coming up with nothing. I don't want the kind that you microwave, and the reviews for some of the ones I've seen aren't so great.

Should I just chalk it up & put that money towards a steamer?

At first, I thought I had bought a faulty one, but after seeing other reviews, I now know that it is the heating cap itself. It does not get hot and the heat is so uneven. One section doesn't even get hot. I have been looking for a better heating cap ever since, so I hope the other ladies chime in with suggestions.

I am currently doing the DIY steaming method under my Pibbs but I would prefer a heating cap. So glad you started this discussion!

I have the Gold n' Hot. I hate that thing. I have to use it backwards on my head in order to get even heating. If I don't keep it on for at least an hour, its a waste of time. Thats the best advice I can give because I refuse to buy a new one.

My mother use to have one that never cut off and use to burn my ears. Oh man, Im still feening for one like that. I know the heating cap shouldn't get that hot, but the electronics we use to use back in day somehow surpass the craptacular items of today. Anyway, thats how I use my heating cap.

Back