Am I using Sta-Sof-Fro wrong?

Chimma

I heard all the good reviews so I went out to buy Sta-Sof-Fro and S-curl... I got the 4.99 hair and scalp spray for extra dry hair at Sally's and sprayed it in my wet hair. It didn't do anything to make it softer or give it more slip. It just felt a little sticky and started to drip when I sprayed more. I'm transitioning w/ 5-6 inches natural and 8 inches relaxed, and it didn't do anything for either my natural or my relaxed hair.

Did I use it wrong? Did I get the wrong kind? This is making me afraid to try S-Curl since I thought they were both supposed to be the same except sta-sof-fro was better. It seems the only conditioner that works real well on my hair is vaseline! And I only like that on my ends!!
smirk.gif

Try using it on hair that is dry or nearly dry. I would use about a quarter-sized amount of Sta-Sof-Fro on dry hair every day, and it made my hair feel very soft. I used the kind that came in a tube & was slightly creamy.

Yeah, the one in the tube is MUCH better. Like you, I went and bought the spray and can't stand it - too greasy, drippy, etc. Sta-Sof-Fro Rub On" in the tube is a gel-lotion consistency and it did a really great job of softening and moisturizing my hair for braidouts. I used it on dry hair. I won't be applying it to damp or wet hair, because I don't think I'll it will do anything. It seems like a great product to apply to dry hair. I'll stick with KemyOyl Shea Butter Pomade and Carols Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey for damp and wet hair.

I use the spray and the gel lotion and it has tamed my 1 inch new growth. I just spray my hair all over and use about a quarter size of the gel lotion. Give it a day or so to soak into your hair. I am feeling my hair as I type this and it's super soft and I did a protein conditioner last night.

I had the same experience as you Chimma. It did nothing at first. It works much better on dry hair, but I'm gonna go get the cream too because I can't stand the sticky, drippy spray.

If you're going to use the Spray, yes, I'd use it on dry or almost dry hair (like towel dried), however, the gel/lotion one would be better for wet hair! Good luck! I had great results with this product for softening new growth. It's one of the things I'm hoping will allow me to stretch my relaxers out. Let us know what you think after trying the gel and the spray on dry hair. Keep us updated! :)

Oh, I should update you guys, because the advice helped! My hair really didn't seem to be more moisturized after I sprayed it on the wet hair, just sticky and I didn't like it at all, kind of like sticky soaking wet cotton if I remember correctly. The next day, I sprayed more on hair that was nearly dry, but still a little damp. I still didn't really like the effect. (Although I'm thinking that my hair took longer to dry than usual that day and night because of the spray)

But later that night when the hair was drier, I thought the hair felt more moisturized than usual. I haven't added any additional spray to the hair since the second spray, but my hair does seem softer and more moisturized and a lot of the stickiness has gone away, (although it is still a little sticky to me.) It holds moisture better than other conditioners that I've tried. I'm guessing that is because of all the glycerin in it.

I'm going to keep this product as a good moisturizer for any protective style because it does do what it says it will do, but I doubt I'll want to use it when I want to have touchable hair. I think that I used too much the first time, and the best time to use this product is on nearly dry hair or on dry hair combined with spraying some water at the same time but there is no purpose putting it on soaking wet hair or extremely damp hair.

When the bottle is out, I will switch to the lotion, because despite the nice soft moisturizing it gives, I dislike the stickiness a lot!

Back